You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: The Atrium Woman And The Wolf

Real Ghost Stories

The Atrium Woman And The Wolf

 

Please bear with me, this story is a little long, as are the rest of my stories.

When I was a little girl, I occasionally spent the night at my grandparents' house near the southern coastline of California. They have a beautiful house on the top of a hill that overlooks the ocean, though the actual shoreline is several miles away. On a clear day, you can see Catalina Island from the kitchen window. In the mornings, it gets a little foggy. At night, because of how the houses are so widely separated from each other, and how few street lights there are, it's almost pitch black. You can see stars for miles if there are no clouds. Most of the homes are owned by elderly families, so overall it's a very quiet neighborhood. To give you a clear picture of this story through my eyes, I will explain the basic layout of the house.

You can always recognize the house by its steep driveway. There are a lot of small species of birds that like to hang around because of the bird feeders and birdhouses on nearly every porch. It's usually relatively cold because of how close it is to the ocean. When you walk in the front door, there's a big room immediately to the right filled with boxes of keepsakes and exercise equipment draped in clear plastic. The storage area is wide open and there are several windows so it is very bright during the daytime. To the left of the entryway is a long hallway that leads to the bedrooms, bathrooms and the garage. Straight ahead from the front door is a short L-shaped wall that takes you in a 90-degree left turn to the living room. There's a sliding glass door overlooking the small grassy backyard and a big kitchen with, as I mentioned, a view of the ocean. The most notable feature of the house is a very large atrium built in the center of the house. This beautiful estate was built sometime in the sixties, and my grandparents have lived there for at least thirty years. If there were no curtains on any of the windows, you can see straight through the living room and into the two guest bedrooms. That is an important part of my story.

For those of you who don't know what an atrium is, basically think of a big round room in the middle of the house with a completely open ceiling for birds to fly into. The ground is just dirt and it's covered in rocks and gravel. There's a birdbath, which closely resembles a wide fountain, and a bird feeder to accommodate the avian guests. It's surrounded by glass windows and sliding glass doors on each side of the house.

I was an only child, so I would stay there with my grandparents with no one else in the house. My grandparents were very nice people, but they didn't tend to bring guests over much. Instead, they would go out with their friends to lunch or visit the local attractions with them. I don't really recall ever seeing anyone come over. In spite of how amazingly beautiful and homey the house felt with all of the pictures of our family lining the shelves and the hallway wall, there was a sort of eerie feeling that I always got when I stayed there. Pictures aside, I always felt like I was being watched. I was very sensitive to energies, though I'll admit, I didn't understand what that meant at the time. I was never allowed to watch horror movies so my idea of ghosts were cartoon characters like Casper, and my parents were always careful to assure me that they were only cartoons and make believe. Nevertheless, the feeling I got from that house was so powerful that I would cry and call my parents, even as I got older, begging them to take me home. I loved my grandparents and I was elated when they visited MY house, but their house just freaked me out.

One night in particular, which I remember very clearly, I was up late. I always had a hard time sleeping, especially when I had gotten too old to sleep between my grandparents in their bed. It was long past dark, and I lay there staring at the line of hand-made dolls my grandmother kept on the dresser in the room where I slept. They weren't scary at all, though there was a lot of them. There was one stuffed animal that she had made that I always slept with when I was really little. As I had gotten older, I wanted to prove that I was a big girl and stopped sleeping with it. It was a stuffed coyote, and it sat on top of the dresser with all of her dolls. In spite of the usual stigma surrounding dolls, I wasn't afraid of them in the least. The coyote freaked me out more than anything, with its lolling tongue and big white eyes. I sat there staring at the dolls for hours, unable to relax.

On this particular night, my grandma had forgotten to close the curtains between the atrium and the guest room where I was staying. I could see straight into the atrium, though it was very dark. The curtains on the other side were open too, and I could see the blue digital numbers on the VCR clock in the living room.

A sharp tingle ran through my body, similar to the one you get when a limb falls asleep, but it went through all of me. It was abnormally cold, so I snuggled into the blankets a little more. I found myself unconcerned with the creepy coyote now. I was more disturbed by the darkness in the atrium. I wanted to get up and close the curtains but I was too scared. The sky looked black and starless through the open ceiling in the atrium. I didn't want to look at all that darkness anymore, so I closed my eyes and tried to go to sleep, but I felt so restless. I finally decided that I would get up, turn on the TV with no sound (my grandparents really liked their quiet at night) and close the curtains so I could try and get some sleep.

I looked up, and through the glass, I saw the distinct image of a ghostly woman in a long white dress combing her hair with her fingers as she sat on the edge of the birdbath. She looked beautiful, like a model. Her white dress was very plain, though it seemed to be dramatically longer on the right side. Her slender feet were bare. She had shoulder length, honey-colored hair that was thick and wavy with perfectly curled bangs on her forehead. She was staring off almost wistfully toward the big storage room while she ran her fingers through her hair again and again. Somehow, in spite of the chilly fear that I felt (because I could see the stone edges of the birdbath through her), I felt a little sad for her. She seemed like she was waiting for someone or something that would never come. She never turned her head or acknowledged me.

I sat there for a few minutes watching her, my heart pounding and my palms sweating. I don't even know if I was breathing or not. It just seemed to go on for ages until suddenly, I saw two bright red pinpoints of light on the other side of the glass, in the living room. I looked past the woman and saw a huge black wolf with an angry snarl curling its upper lip behind jagged black teeth. The two red lights that had caught my attention were its eyes. The strange thing was that it didn't seem to be looking at me. It was looking at the ghost woman, and its fur stood on end.

The woman stood up and turned to face the wolf. I don't know if there was any kind of exchange between them, but she just vanished after that. The wolf looked up at me, but it didn't look menacing anymore, just very large, and then it, too, disappeared.

I wasn't able to sleep at all that night as you can imagine, and as soon as daybreak came, I was happy when my dad came to pick me up. I never told anyone what I had seen and I feel a bit bad to admit that I didn't return to that house again until I was 16. I spent the night again one more time, but I made sure to keep my curtains closed. And I still didn't sleep until it was light outside. My grandparents wondered if it was really healthy for me to sleep until after noon.

When I think about it now, I wonder if that wolf was protecting me somehow. I saw the wolf again one more time, when I was hiking in the low mountains of San Dimas. I had fallen behind the other two girls I was with and it was very hot. I had an asthma attack and I didn't have my inhaler with me. As I was gasping for breath, I saw the wolf step out of thin air between two trees and stare at me. It's eyes were chocolate brown instead of red, and as I stared back at it, I could feel myself taking deeper, slower breaths. I felt as though it was urging me to calm down and that it was watching me to make sure I was going to be alright. I was still having a hard time breathing but I was able to concentrate on keeping calm until the attack passed and I could breathe again. It then stepped back into the trees and disappeared.

Thank you for reading my story. I would like to hear your thoughts on the atrium woman and the wolf.

Other hauntings by DeviousAngel

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, DeviousAngel, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

trusted_soul (1 stories) (18 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-22)
Sorry just a question I'm confused about, in this story you say you are a only child then in your next story you say your brother in the next roon?
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-06-15)
Devious: YIPPEEEE!...Can't wait for new stories... Hopefully your investigating will produce some cool stuff... Looking forward to hearing about it! ❤
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-15)
Aww, thank you granny! I would love to! I've just been very busy so I haven't had a chance to hop on here and check things out, but I assure you, I'm not far away from here! We've had a few new things going on around the house too, so I'm starting to pool together some finances to do a little mini-investigation in my house. Hopefully I'll end up with some stuff I can put up here!
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-06-12)
Devious: Welcome back!...We were getting concerned about you!...Hope all is well, and if you have a facebook account look me up...We've started our own Loonie Bin there... Would really enjoy your company 😊 ❤
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-09)
(The longer portion of the comment was directed toward Lou, btw. Sorry for not specifying!)
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-09)
Thank you for your comments, Lou, JP and Intrigued.:) Falcon, I warned readers from the beginning of the story that it was long. If they don't want to read a long story, they can skip over it or read something else. I appreciate your concern, though! ❤

I think you could be right. In some ways, I wonder if perhaps this wolf may have been a spirit guide to the woman who passed on, and it is trying to give her a less-than-gentle push toward the light. As for me, well... Ever since this incident I have always had a fascination for wolves, so it's not much of a stretch to say that my own spirit guide my appear in the form of a wolf because it's what I'm most acquainted with.
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-13)
Devious,
First off, I'll reluctantly have to thank Falcon for bringing this one back to the comment thread... You never should have educated him on the profile link... Now he can go back to two year old stories and get the last word on everyone.
I've encountered a similar situation on land I own... A native american woman, whose protector is a white wolf. I believe she died on the land. In your case, it almost seems as if the wolf was protecting you... Or maybe it was a signal to the woman that you had seen her and it was time for her to go? Once she was gone, she was safe, and it no longer was afraid for her...maybe?
Jping, easy on Falcon... Sparkly objects ARE distracting.

:) Lou
JPing (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-13)
bldfalcon, the longer stories tend to be far more deep and meaningful than the shorter ones. Not to mention they hold far more detail open to interpretation.

Take your time to read them and I'm sure you will find them to be more than worth your while.
IntriguedSceptic (43 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-13)
bldfalcon - the attention seeking fantasist whose writing style and confrontational attitude just screams the word "FRAUD".
bldfalcon (12 stories) (262 posts)
-3
14 years ago (2010-05-13)
long story. Trim down the unneedeed parts and get right to the point.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-14)
Wow...I never made that association before! You may be right about the whole thing. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this!

Blessings,
DA
Shia453 (2 stories) (20 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-01-14)
I immediately thought of the coyote plushie when you first mentioned the wolf beyond the atrium. Of course, they're not precisely the same animal, but they are closely related. That is why I have come up with this theory:

Perhaps your grandmother unknowingly drew a guardian spirit to you when she made the doll. It's clear that she was feeling a strong love and affection for you to make such a gift, and that positive energy may have summoned or manifested a protective spirit.

On the same note, it sounds to me as though the first time that you saw the wolf, it was telling the ghostly woman to leave. Maybe it just sensed your fear and wanted to help? Something like "Quit scaring my charge, lady! You're freaking her out!" 😁
Spockie (8 stories) (203 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-18)
Two interesting and very vivid experiences. Clearly the wolf does have an attachment to you. Perhaps as Libertybelle said it is because of your native american heritage. The woman did not seem threatening, though and that's puzzling.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-17)
libertybelle- thank you for your response. I wonder if this might be because I have Native American blood? I'm not sure what tribe exactly, but I know that on my mother's side, there is very strong American Indian lineage. Amusingly, I also refer to my fiance as "wolfie" and he refers to me as "kitten", which--grossness aside--kind of relates to our power animals, as you put it. He's a very strong skeptic, but he is sure that he has one, and that his is a lynx.
libertybelle (14 stories) (207 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-17)
Very interesting indeed, and from what you describe, it could be that the wolf is your power animal.

The Native Americans, unlike Europeans, had great respect for the wolf and never forgot its close cousinship with the dog. There are a number of stories from different ethnic groups portraying wolves in a very positive light; contrast that with European folklore, where the wolf is always cast as a villain.

In fact, about the only positive European story featuring a wolf I can recall is that of Romulus and Remus being suckled by a she-wolf!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: