You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Paranoia Or Paranormal?

Real Ghost Stories

Paranoia Or Paranormal?

 

I'm glad that I got so many responses to my previous few stories and so many people were helpful with their opinions and insight. With that said, I wanted to ask everyone what they think about a few things that have started occurring around my house. Am I just suffering from some kind of paranoia, or is something else going on?

My family bought and moved into a new house at the end of August this year. I really like the house we live in and up to this point, I've never really felt any presence or anything as I have in my past several residences. When we moved in, the house had a comfortable, inviting aura and I was sure that I could just relax.

Let me give you a brief description of where I live. I live in a rural part of Corona, California. Corona, if you don't know already, has its own paranormal investigation society and I've heard of a few really active spots in my area including Horse Thieves Canyon Road, where a lot of people have had an array of different experiences. Fortunately, I live a distance from there, in a small but comfortable community. Our house was built in 2000 and the previous owners lived there until they were forced into foreclosure. The bank owned the house and it sat unoccupied for two years, collecting dust, overgrown weeds, and graffiti on the walls and cabinets from a few kids who had broken in to have a safe place to smoke. We know this because when we were first looking through the house, we noticed a few miniscule cigarette burns in the carpet along with all the graffiti, which was painted over. Also, rocks had been thrown at the windows, leaving little holes in the outer panes of the upstairs game room windows overlooking the street and it looks like someone shot the guest bedroom window downstairs with a pellet gun. Other than those minor things, the house is in great shape with properly working plumbing, electricity and ventilation. When we moved in, there was always a lot of movement going on with us moving furniture, unpacking boxes, etc. Now that things have calmed down quite a bit, it seems that whatever strange events go on in my house are either amplified by the calmness or otherwise didn't start happening until our family calmed down.

One thing we noticed right away was that all of our cell phones seem to lose signal as soon as we entered the first street of our community and connections are inconsistent between that spot and the cow farm behind us. That, in and of itself, isn't too terribly strange. We've gotten to know the spots well and we don't use our phones in those areas because we know they usually drop the call.

I'm a pretty observant person. I noticed right away that the cupboard doors seemed to open on their own rather often, though I had never actually witnessed it. I would wake up in the morning to get ready for work and several of them would be wide open. They are new cupboards and they were constructed very well, and we've checked that they all close and hinge properly. There's even a little weight to the doors so that they close partially on their own. They're all just fine, so something had to open them. I thought this might have been the cats playing in them and exploring, but then I started noticing that cupboard doors they couldn't possibly reach were somehow opening themselves at night. But okay, so what. A few cupboard doors don't like to stay closed. Bizarre, but nothing serious.

The next thing I noticed was the pantry door and the bathroom doors. Since one of our cats (Buster, as you might remember from my story about my Spirit Guardian) had a habit of sleeping in the bathroom cupboards, I decided to start shutting the bathroom doors at night to keep him out. This would also rule out the possibility that the cupboards opening in the bathroom had something to do with him. However, I would wake the next morning to find the pantry door either wide open or halfway closed and all of the bathroom doors open. I thought that my brother might be sneaking down at night for a snack or that my dad had left the pantry door open when he made his lunch before everyone else got up. Those were explainable, but we have four bathrooms throughout the house in my parents' room, next to the game room, next to my room and downstairs next to the guest bedroom. All of them were open, and I doubt that someone waking up in the middle of the night would just go through and open them all. Again, the doors had been checked and were hinged and close properly. But again, no big deal.

The next noticeable thing, and this time it was my step-mom who pointed it out, was a bit more strange but could potentially be explained by the cats, though I think it's unlikely. We have a set of decorative pillows that sit on the couches. Every morning without fail, we wake to find a single pillow in the middle of the floor. The other ones are where they were last and the funny thing is that it's not even the same pillow. It's different pillows each time, but one of them is always on the floor in the exact same spot. A bit more strange and unexplainable, no?

The worst of it kept me from sleeping last night. I was having a hard time sleeping, so I was on my computer messing around. I kept getting that feeling of being watched, so I would glance over my shoulder every so often to find that nothing was there. I thought I was just being silly. My brother was still awake in his bedroom with his music on low, and I heard him talking to someone on the phone. My parents were asleep. I called my fiancé and decided to talk to him for a little while. He reassured me that everything was okay and that if I needed him to come over, he would. I decided that I would try to go to bed as it was already very late, past 1:30 a.m., and so I lay down.

I couldn't sleep, however, and I couldn't shake the feeling that someone was nearby me and didn't belong there. Out of nowhere, I heard this really loud series of pops, like the sound someone makes when they poke ventilation holes in the plastic seal over a frozen dinner plate with a fork. I thought that my brother might have gone downstairs for food, though I hadn't heard him open his door. Still, I decided to call my fiancé back and told him about the sound. I asked him to stay on the phone with me in case I went downstairs to check things out and found that someone had broken in or something, though that didn't seem likely because we have a house alarm. I knew instantly that it wasn't my brother because as I walked out into the hallway, I could still hear his voice from within his room.

I went downstairs with my fiancé still on the phone with me. I could see the kitchen light on. When I got to the kitchen, no one was around, and nothing was out of place. The cats were nowhere to be seen, but I didn't think it was them that had caused the noise anyway. I was telling my fiancé how strange it was when my phone suddenly started freaking out. He was talking to me, but his voice began skipping and in between. I could hear static and interference so loud that it made me pull the phone away from my ear because it hurt. Usually, if we had bad reception, the call would drop, but I had never experienced any interference. Then, as if on cue, the call dropped. I was getting a bit freaked out, and on top of that, I had the "watched" feeling very strong in my gut. I jogged back upstairs and immediately tried calling my fiancé back on the house phone.

I tried calling him four times. The line refused to go through, and it's a land line that I have never experienced problems with. I made absolutely sure I was dialing the right number, too. Finally, I picked up my cell phone again and called him, and this time he answered. He told me that he hadn't had any missed calls from me. I was really tripping out now, so I decided to stay upstairs for the rest of the night. I shut and locked my door. I was sure that if I said anything to my brother, he'd just have a laugh and tell me to go to bed. I fired up the X-Box and played a few rounds of a game with my fiancé, which allowed me to keep talking to him through the voice chat. After a while, I started feeling really tired again, so I told him that I would try to get some sleep and worry about it the next day, and he promised to stay by the phone in case I called him back.

I turned the lights out, put some music on and laid down with the big comfy blanket my fiancé had bought for me while in Kuwait. It reminds me of him and makes me feel safe, and I figured that I needed all the comfort I could get right then. I remembered glancing at the clock before I took off my glasses, and it read 1:57. For a few minutes, I tried to sleep. I lay flat on my stomach with the blanket pulled up and around my shoulders, and I did my best to clear my mind.

After only a few minutes, I felt the same feeling of being watched again, but this time it was close and almost crushing. My instincts were screaming at me to yell or get up and run out of the room. The first thing I did was begin counting my breaths and listening steadily to the sounds around me, just to make sure that I was really awake. I could feel someone's presence very strongly, as though they were standing right over me. All of a sudden, the room seemed to get very hot. I could feel my face getting warm and a heat spreading across me like a fever. I began to hear sporadic tapping sounds, much louder than my music, that sounded like they were coming from my window. I was too afraid to open my eyes, so I did my best to ignore it. It wasn't long before the feeling got so strong that I began feeling sick to my stomach and a bit dizzy. I felt like someone was leaning over my shoulder very close to my face, and I could even feel short, warm puffs of air like someone breathing above me. It scared me so much because most of the stories I'd heard about ghosts and apparitions tell of the room getting cold. Now I was afraid that somehow, a living person had crept into my room and hid in my closet or something, waiting for me to make myself vulnerable. I just couldn't take it anymore. I told myself that even if I saw something that scared me, I would have to do my best to be brave and tell it to go away. If it was a person, I would fight and scream.

I turned over very quickly and threw the blanket back, but nothing was there. I did not speak out loud, but very strongly in my head, I said, "STOP IT. I'm trying to sleep." The tapping noises suddenly stopped and the oppressive feeling left the room almost instantly. Seriously concerned, I got up and called my fiancé back again to explain what had happened, though something told me to leave out the part about the feelings I had that someone was leaning over me. It was 2:07 a.m.; exactly ten minutes from the second time I'd tried to lie down.

He answered and we talked for a little while. He told me that I should spend a little time doing something until I was so exhausted that I'd just fall asleep easily, so I got on my computer and played a game. I stayed on the phone with him until about 3:30. When I was too tired to stay awake any longer, I shut everything down, said goodnight to my fiancé, and finally went to sleep.

When I woke up, it was roughly five minutes before my alarm was supposed to wake me up, which was at 5:30 a.m. It was again warm in my room, but I was shaking like I was freezing. I didn't have a fever or feel cold at all, I was just shaking really hard. I lay there for a few moments trying to compose myself. I couldn't remember dreaming about anything, so I had no idea why my body was acting that way. I finally calmed down and got up for work.

I have no idea what all of these things mean. I'm not sure if I was visited by a spirit last night or if I just have some sort of extreme case of paranoia. All I know is that whatever happened last night, it really scared me and all day long, I've been paying the price for staying up so late. I'm very frustrated and I want to know if anyone has any ideas as to what I experienced. Thank you for reading.

Other hauntings by DeviousAngel

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, DeviousAngel, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

HauntedCorona (1 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-31)
Hello Devious,

I moved to Corona about 6 years. The house that I live in ] has same weird stuff happening but to a lesser degree i.e. Feeling of someone else is in the room (it comes and goes), I heard popping sound but upon further investigation is was my empty plastic water bottle (question is, who is squeezing the bottle since I am alone?). Weird thing is, it comes and goes. There will be no activities for months then out of the blue it will get strange for a week or 2 weeks then silent again. The weirdest that ever happened to me was I heard a chair dragged across the wooden floor in the kitchen but when I turned on the light, the chairs was all tucked inside the table. I begin to question what I heard. Is it possible that Corona itself is just a haunted city?
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-14)
Alphabet11: Thank you very much for taking the time to read it and comment. 😊 My youngest brother brought home another cat and he did not get along with our Russian blue at ALL. We ended up giving the Russian blue to my grandma, and since he left the house, it seems like a lot of the activity stopped so I wonder if something may have been attached to him. When I visit my grandma, he is absolutely all over her, rubbing on her and purring but if I come anywhere near him he freaks out and tries to attack me. It's really weird because I was always very nice to him and he used to love me.

Now there is some new stuff going on at the house which I wrote about in a later post, that even my mom has noticed. I am working on gathering the materials to do a proper investigation and hopefully catch evidence of whatever might be going on, rationally explainable or not.
Alphabet11 (guest)
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-14)
Wow, that's a really in depth story. Brilliantly written. Favourite, for sure. I can't say I can relate, and sorry I can't give advice or help with this. But I just thought it was neccessary to tell you, I really enjoyed this
LyssaLuva (6 stories) (19 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-01)
dear devious angel,
I always have the felling a little girl is watching me if you read my story of 'you are there? You are not?' you will understand

~~~~lyssa~~~~ ❤
kimberly (2 stories) (23 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-09-28)
Deviousangel, I used to get that feeling all the time as a kid. I don't know what it was, but it scared me! I've felt that crushing sensation, too. I've always been religious so I just don't say too much about it since its not always accepted as normal. But let's face it, we don't know everything that is out there. Good luck!
autumnsmommy (4 stories) (98 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-09-26)
My husband is still a skeptic. It's funny though when I tell him a sense a presence he starts to look around like it's going to get him 😆. It's hiliarious! He maybe gone a lot but try and keep that sense of him being close while he is gone. It will help alittle. Best of luck girl!
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-09-26)
autumnsmommy, thank you for your input as well. Parents can be so funny like that! But I understand that not everyone will believe the same way, it's just hard when you can't go to your parents for something. My fiance is also a spiritualist and understands me when I say things about sensing presences and auras and so forth. He still remains a bit of a skeptic and wants to be sure that I'm not just working myself up (as I can if I get freaked out enough). I'm very glad to have him because he will make sure I'm safe, at least when he's around. He's in the military so he's away a lot too.:)

Take care and best wishes to you and yours!
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-09-26)
Chris B and Nevadaghosthunter, thank you so much for your input! I can't believe I hadn't thought of cleansing my room that way, I've done it before and it worked wonders in other homes. Thank you for taking the time to read and respond. Best of luck and warm regards to you both!
autumnsmommy (4 stories) (98 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-09-26)
Parents aren't always willing to understand and have open minds like some and like people of a younger generations. I understand that it can cause problems. My father doesn't get religious or anything he just doesn't like hearing of things that he can't see. My mother on the other hand if she thinks something is threatening she won't tolerate it. Now if I seem to see my grandparents she's for it.

I agree with Chris B. Maybe your fiance is the best person to talk this out with. Just think in a matter of time you will be out of the house. Until that time keep talking with your fiance, maybe you two can come up with a way of getting rid of this spirit or coming up with a way that you can calm it down until you leave.
Best of luck!
Nevadaghosthunter (1 stories) (20 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-09-26)
Dear Angel,
I understand more than you know about closed minded people when it comes to the spiritual realm and religion. I don't have first hand knowledge so I can't say with a 100% certainty that your visitor/s are not demonic. All I can tell you is that with all my many years doing ghost hunting I have run into only one demonic haunting and it wasn't that it was a demon it was just a really pissed off dead person. Some people just do not go quietly into that good night!
By now if your visitor was demonic you'd know. I have to agree with Chris B that your visitors are benign. To put your mind at ease simply tell this/these entities that they are not welcome in your room. They can go about their business in other parts of the house.
You can also acquire some sage bundles, salt or other mixtures from any good occult or spiritual bookstore and cleanse your room. Cleansings work wonders. Just a thought. Be safe
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-09-26)
Shatina I agree with you 100% It would be hard for you see with your own eyes what is truly going on. Trust me I know. I had the chance of checking things in my house but I was too scared of getting what I knew was there. A spirit. And it can be scary. But like you say. If you are don't feel comfortable with filming then I would suggest not doing it all. Sometimes some questions shouldnt be answered. Its a good thing that this is not a very harmful ghost. If you ever feel the presence tell it to leave. Dont show fear because that is a big no no. Praying may help aswell. Though your Fiance is not with you all the time it seems to me like he is a very carring person. As I read he sure sounds like a supportive person. And if you ever feel scared call him. I'm sure he will help you out the most. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-09-26)
Hello and thank you for your responses. Nevadaghosthunter, I would like to talk to my parents, but it's really hard to approach them. Talking to them about supernatural and spirits always incites a religious debate and that's something I refuse to discuss with them being so close-minded. To them, if there are any spirits in our house, they are evil and don't belong there and I don't think that's true.

Chris B, thank you for the compliment.:) I thought about setting up a camera too but I don't really have one... I don't have a whole lot of money and anyway, to be honest, I'm not sure exactly how I'd feel if I saw those cabinets just opening on their own or a pillow falling or floating randomly to the middle of the couch... And I definitely wouldn't feel safe if I saw someone leaning over me, watching me sleep in my room. I dunno, for whatever reason the whole experience felt more like an invasion of privacy than just a curious spirit. Gave me the willies!
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-09-26)
Wow that is one scary story. I have to say that you are a very good writter. I believe that your place may have a spirit. Like you say many things can be explained but its little more then a coincedence. I don't think this spirit means any harm. Maybe a little curious. If you want to prove that there is something in there I would leave a camera on over night and see what you get. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
autumnsmommy (4 stories) (98 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-09-25)
I agree with everyone else. Especially of keeping a journal. You maybe able to find something that will let you know when it will appear. You are not paranoid! Everything will get better. I also agree with talking to your parents. Best of Luck!
Nevadaghosthunter (1 stories) (20 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-09-25)
Dear Angel,
It does not sound like you are paranoid to me, though I am not a psychologist.
I assume that you have a good repore with your Dad and Step Mom. Talk with them about what you are feeling. You might be surprised to find out that they are having similar feelings and experiences.
It has been my experience as a ghost hunter that it isn't always a cold spot you feel sometimes it is a hot spot. What you are looking for is a rapid and odd change in temperature. Keep a log for awhile. You may find a pattern. Also, I would check out the history of the land as well as the house.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-09-25)
cathy, thank you for your reply. I get that feeling off and on, whether someone else is in the room or not, but mostly when I'm alone. It seems more distant when someone else is in the room, like whatever is watching me is sort of hiding until I'm on my own, when it feels more prepared to approach closer. It's almost like being stalked, you know? Very creepy feeling.
cathy_knows_best (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-09-25)
Okay, first off, your not the only one who gets the feeling that you have described above. I have a question though, does the feeling that your being watched only happen when you are alone or when other people are in the room too?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: