You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Hotel Room Horror

Real Ghost Stories

Hotel Room Horror

 

In the spring of last year, my fiance and I drove out with his mother from California to Illinois to watch her sister graduate. It was a very long drive and only a few days' stay in Illinois, so we decided to take our time on the return trip and stay in a few of the states we had blown through on the way out. A bad storm hit just as we were leaving and followed us through to Missouri. By the time we passed Joplin, we were all really tired, so we decided to spend the night at the USA Inn in Mount Vernon. I don't recall the exact room number we were in, but I remember that it faced a gas station and that we were parked literally right outside of our hotel room door. My fiance and I got our own room and his mom was in the room two doors down from us. The room in between us was unoccupied, and strangely, the door had been left unlocked and partially opened when we came up. I remember a heavy feeling of unease as I passed that room.

Things really went downhill the moment we stepped into our room. When we had first gotten to the hotel, we had been ravenously hungry. The lady at the front desk had given us flyers for a nearby pizza delivery service so we ordered pizza. By the time it came, we had all lost our appetites and we each only ate one or two pieces of the two full pizzas we had bought. When the pizza arrived we went into my fiance's mom's room to eat with her. She had all of the lights and the TV on. I made mention of it and she told us that she felt uncomfortable in the room. She couldn't explain why, but the room made her feel unsafe and uneasy.

I am a believer in spirits but my fiance is a skeptic, so the events of the night were a real shock to him.

We went back to our room and after glancing at the clock, I saw that it was about 9:00 pm. I have to note that my fiance and I are a very loving, affectionate couple and we get along very well. We fight like every other couple does, but it never lasts long and we maintain respectful attitudes toward each other so that our fights don't escalate. I don't remember what started it, but my fiance and I got into a really nasty argument. We had never fought like that before. We yelled at each other and said spiteful things, and at one point I even told him I really wanted to hit him. As soon as I said it I sort of took a mental step back and assessed the argument. Why were we fighting? Why had it escalated so bad? There seemed to be no good reason. That's when I noticed the heavy negative vibe of the room. We talked about the argument and he also admitted that he wasn't sure why it had gotten so bad. He didn't really know why he was angry, but it was like something was urging him to be upset at me, which was exactly how I felt. After the argument, we both felt horribly drained, as though something had gotten us fired up and sapped us dry afterward.

We decided to scope the room out a bit more. It looked to be in fairly good shape, overall. There was a TV sitting on a big dresser with a large mirror on the wall overlooking the bed. The bathroom in particular gave us both really bad feelings. I sensed a very negative presence there, particularly in the shower which was built into an alcove and had no curtain or door. I kept getting the sensation that something was in there, around the corner, just waiting for me to be alone.

Not too long after the bizarre argument we tried to get some sleep. We figured we were tired and that was what had caused it. My fiance immediately fell asleep after lying down, but I was having a hard time because I felt so nervous. I was awake for hours reading a book.

Around two in the morning, I heard my fiance gasping. I looked over at him and he was still asleep. He was breathing hard as if something was choking him. I shook him but he didn't wake up. I got really scared then and started calling his name and shaking him, hard. He finally woke up and looked up at me in surprise. I asked him if he was okay and he said that he had been having a weird dream and that he couldn't wake up. He didn't tell me what the dream was about right away, I think because he didn't want to scare me. I was worried about him, so I looked after him a while longer before trying to get some rest. I turned the light out and did my best to relax but I couldn't. I was terrified.

I first heard a light tapping noise. I closed my eyes and just kept telling myself "nothing is there, nothing is there." In response to this, I heard a loud bang on the wall that sounded like it had come from the unoccupied room next door. There was a long moment of silence, and then there was another bang followed by a dragging sound. I was too scared to move.

A few minutes later, I turned to look at my fiance but he wasn't there. I was alone in the room. The TV was on and it was the news, but it was really freaky because the newscaster kept talking but her mouth stopped moving. As if she was looking through the TV, she stared at me with this hateful expression. I suddenly felt drawn to the mirror that faced the bed. I stared at my reflection for a while, and then I moved to go to the bathroom, but my reflection didn't move. She just stood there staring at me like the newscaster had. I felt like I was going to die of fear.

Then I heard banging on the bathroom door. It sounded like something with clawed feet was flailing and crashing into the door, trying very hard to get out. I could hear the claws scraping on the ground as it tried desperately to get out. I just knew that if whatever it was got out, something terrible was going to happen. I blocked the door with a chair and ran for the door. I could see daylight coming in through the windows but when I opened the door, it was pitch black like there was nothing but abyss beyond. Then the door slammed shut and I was locked in the room. I walked back to the bed and laid down, as though accepting that I was trapped. I closed my eyes really tight and screamed "STOP!"

When I opened my eyes, I looked over and my fiance was asleep beside me. I was so confused and disoriented. I woke him up because I was all but having a panic attack. He assured me that he hadn't gone anywhere and looked really upset by what I had told him. He said that the nightmare I had woken him up from was almost exactly the same. The only difference was that he could see his mom and I through the windows, but it was like a one-way mirror. We couldn't see him, and he was trapped in the room too.

When we later talked to his mom, she said that she hadn't hardly slept at all and that she felt like something was in her room with her all night. I did some research a few weeks ago and came up with a very interesting article from the Joplin Globe about an incident that happened at that hotel the year before our stay.

A construction foreman was staying there with two of his colleagues. One of the men had been drinking and had gotten into a fight over the phone with his girlfriend. For seemingly no good reason, he suddenly attacked the foreman, and the foreman shot him to death. There are a lot of unanswered questions in the article, because the third construction worker who had witnessed the murder wouldn't talk about what had happened. The foreman also didn't seem to know how long the men had been staying there.

I believe that there was some kind of violent, evil spirit residing in that hotel. I also think that this spirit or force, whatever it was, caused the fight between my fiance and I and caused me to hallucinate or have some kind of waking nightmare. I am more sensitive and open to spiritual things than my fiance is, so I think I got it worse than he did. I also believe that this entity was feeding off of the men staying at the hotel and was keeping them there, and that through possession and/or influence, it also caused the shooting.

Here is the link to the article if anyone is interested:

http://www.joplinglobe.com/local/local_story_070214439.html

Other hauntings by DeviousAngel

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Missouri

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, DeviousAngel, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Cristos0907 (13 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-18)
Yeah this definitely have me chills and is going on my faves list. 😊
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-25)
PiP - it really was a very scary ordeal, particularly because events like this sort of blur the lines of sleep and reality for me, and make me doubt which one is which. I have an almost morbid curiosity for these things. For example, I have thought about trying the whole Bloody Mary thing again, just to see if anything happens now that I am older and a great deal more skeptical. I don't know though... I certainly do not think I could go back to that hotel ALONE. I am not that brave!
PrettyInPain (3 stories) (153 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-25)
If it did survive the terrible hurricane, you are certainly brave to even contemplate returning there! I bet you would pick up things in there that would give Ghost Hunters/Paranormal State wet dreams. I didn't remember the room number from that article, but upon checking, the shooting was in room 18.

I must admit, I sometimes peek out of the corner of my eyes when I pass a mirror just to make sure my reflection moves with me. Yes, your story scared me that much. I don't know how you dealt with all this stuff. I bet you are a much stronger person because of what you've been through.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-25)
PrettyInPain, thank you once again. I have been hearing through the news stations about all of the awful damage that was done to Joplin by the hurricane that swept through a few months back. I wonder if this hotel is still there? If we pass through there again, I am tempted to stay there one more time and bring my camera and our laptop. The laptop has a built in webcam that records both picture and sound in excellent quality. If I recall, the article I linked actually says which room number the shooting happened in.
PrettyInPain (3 stories) (153 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-13)
DeviousAngel,

Your narrative leaves me rather speechless. It makes me wonder if anyone else that stayed at this hotel had any negative occurances.

Being trapped in a dream is terrible, so being trapped in the nightmare (the one your fiance had) must have been even worse.

You mentioned in the comments section how you didn't notify staff because the sun was up and the night's incidents seemed a long way off. It's pretty intriguing to me how daytime makes the night's eerie events seem to fade on the scariness level.

Thanks for sharing, and take care.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-27)
TruthInDarkness:

I DO think it is very possible that the whole creepy reflection thing might have been a dream or some weird sleep-deprived vision. The fact that my fiance and I both had similar dreams/visions was pretty creepy. My fiance's mom did say that she had some kind of dream or nightmare but did not talk about what it was about.

Also, I did not notify the staff about the open door. I kind of wish I had now that you mention it. I am not really sure why it was open, but as I walked by I closed the door, so if there was a bum or something in there the cleaning personnel would have found him freaking out in the morning lol. I suppose that could account for some of the noises coming from that wall. Still, the whole experience was rather disturbing, especially after we found out about the history behind that place.

And I am sorry about your sleep apnea experience.:\ I have heard that it is a very uncomfortable and potentially life-threatening condition if not treated.

Haunted: Thank you for your comment. 😊 It certainly made me wary about the places I stay when I travel. I think next time I might make a reservation at a nicer place!
haunted_childhood (34 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-27)
W0W...I'm sorry you had such a frightening experience DA, but I really loved this story. Not too many stories give me chills, but this one certainly did! I've been reading up on haunted motels lately, and I think it's creepy, yet fascinating how they can hold such residual energy within their walls. Fantastic story! Thanks for posting! ❤
TruthInDarkness (4 stories) (259 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-29)
This is quite a strange and scary story. It almost seems too fantastic to have not been a nightmare. Still, even if you did fall asleep and didn't realize it, you and your fiance having such similar dreams seems to be confirmation that something weird was happening.

Regarding not knowing you fell asleep if, in fact, that was the case... I was having a sleep study done for sleep apnea about a year ago. With all of the wires and such that were connected to me, I was extremely uncomfortable. Lights out was at 10pm and the study lasted until 6am. I could swear that I was up the ENTIRE night. However, when I came in to speak to the doctor and get the results a couple of days later, he told me that I had fallen asleep for about 45 minutes. I was thinking to myself, "Really?! No way!", but according to the data they collected I did actually fall asleep for that amount of time.

I'm not doubting that some sort of paranormal energy was involved, but I think it's possible that you fell asleep and didn't know it. That said, it would have been ultra mega freaky if your mom had told you she had a similar dream too!

My analytical mind at work... I have to ask... You said that you saw that the door to the unoccupied room was slightly ajar. Did you notify the management and/or the people at the front desk? Vagrants or squatters could have easily gotten in there.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-06-27)
Luce: very true. I have heard about all of the storms and misfortune that has befallen the people of Joplin, so my thoughts and good vibes are definitely with everyone out there...I'm not sure if the hotel was affected or not, but since so many homes were damaged or destroyed by all of the storms out there, I wonder if anyone else stayed in the hotel?
luce (2 stories) (44 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-06-27)
Please tell they had that hotel room exorcised or something.

It's amazing how negative entities/vibes/energy/whatchamacallit have lasting effects.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-16)
I had one of those moments of indecision as we were checking out. I was wondering to myself, "is this all in my head? Am I just a spazz having a panic attack over nothing?" And of course, when the sun comes up the previous night's incidents felt a long way off, so I felt a little silly about the prospect of telling the clerk "hey, your room is haunted!" But if I ever head back that way, I just might ask about it. At the time, I don't know why but the thought of switching rooms never even dawned on me. There weren't too many to choose from anyway, and as far as I know, the only rooms I saw were the one my other half's mom was staying in (which she didn't like the feel of, either) and the vacant room between us, which was... Very spooky. Maybe it was just spooky because the door was open and shouldn't have been, but who knows.
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-12)
Did you find out anymore information about this place? Your story was really freaky. I don't know if I would have last as long as you have. I was taught to trust my intrusion. I think the minute you felt something was wrong, you should have switched hotels / motels or even switched rooms. I think I would have died of a heart attack if I were in your place.

Did you mention your experience to the clerk or owner of the place you were staying at?
chicken-nugget22 (17 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-26)
Wow awsome story! I favorited it... I am from Chicago, illinois so this is preety creepy. The only help I can give you is do not go back to the hotel.
SmokeyKnight (3 stories) (193 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-04)
Devious, is it like you're back in the same room or just a familiar feeling like you're back at that room? Or is it like you're home and you flash back to that night. I'd imagine a traumatic situation like that would cause some sort of "reliving" of the situation, maybe via dreams.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2011-02-04)
Thank you Smokey, and no worries, Ms. Seeker:)

I have had experiences like you mentioned... Almost like deja vu?

But there's always something slightly off... The placement of something, a room I thought was in a different place or a person who wasn't really there.
whitebuffalo (guest)
+1
13 years ago (2011-01-29)
THANK YOU Smokey...
YOU have NO idea...
THANK you so very much. YOU have just helped ME figure something out in my personal life that your description of what you actually do (the Post Traumatic) helped me straighten out.

Please excuse the interruption, DeviousAngel, I believe in giving credit and a thank you when due.
Wado.
SmokeyKnight (3 stories) (193 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-01-28)
It's odd how images haunt you even after events like the one D A described. In the few encounters I've had, I've noticed I'll have a sort of PTSD (Post traumatic stress disorder) flashback. Almost like I'm reliving it, but in a different location and time.

Devious, have you had anything like that?
Melime (10 stories) (64 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-01-22)
I must say, this is one of the best true ghost stories I've ever read. I can't imagine the horror you must have felt.
Very very interesting, I'd like to know more about this place!

Take care!
bandet888 (86 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-23)
When you were arguing with your fiance thank god you both were intelligent enough to feel something wasn't quite right and calmed down. When I read that the news lady was still talking but her image was still I thought maybe it was technical difficulties but then your reflection did the same thing so that wasn't it (unless the mirror was malfunctioning too. Lol) I haven't experenced anything paranormal myself (I don't think) but I do have a freaky mirror dream I would like to share. When I was young there was a cartoon the Brady kids (from the Brady bunch) In the opening song Greg sings "First there's Marcia with her eyes that's sparkling blue" I started to wonder how muck my eyes sparkled. I had this one dream that I was looking into the mirror and my eyes were really sparkling! I fell in love with my own reflection! Then suddenly I realized that the two sparkle lights from my two eyes were actualy the two whites on either side of the pupil of one eye! My reflection had one eye above my nose! I was horrorified! I fell in love with my own beauty just like Lucifer (Satan) did and got punnished. Lol But I'm not evil though.
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-17)
Yep can't wait its been way to long since I have been on the "F" Book looking forward to seeing all you loonies on there hahaha 😁
kardagen (2 stories) (161 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-17)
Well retirement was short lived, lol... Hmm think I pulled the posts that are detrimental to my character already...
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-17)
There good value guys we need them... Lol the more the merrier...
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-06-17)
and more meds, and at least one more peace pipe, and oh yea, more 'ROO! LOL
kardagen (2 stories) (161 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-17)
You recruiting Aussie? Hmm going to need more gremlin orderlys...
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-17)
D/A there's a lot of our friends over at facebook... We have started a club hope to see you there...
seesthings626 (31 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-17)
wow...

I hav been in a position were I yelled (screamed) stop. Its really creepy (horrid)
When it gets to that point. Its almost like there's no way out. There deffinitly must of been a BAD spirit in there!
😨
SmokeyKnight (3 stories) (193 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-12)
DA, any word on your other half or his mom's side of things? I'm really interested to see what they say.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-25)
Wow, this whole numerology thing is wild. I think I'm going to be paying more attention to the "signs" from now on... If something goes on, looking for that hint...

I'm also interested to get my fiance's mom's perspective on the whole situation, since I didn't really get a detailed account from her of what (if anything) happened there. I know she is also someone interested in paranormal things, because I vaguely remember my fiance mentioning that she did some EVP readings a while back. I'm curious to know if she had any experiences there.

I wish I could find all of the articles I managed to pull up about the shooting, but so far I've only been able to track down one. When I get home I'll do some more research so you guys (and gals!) can get a better picture of what went on there before we stayed. I tried to dig as deeply as I could but couldn't find anything anyone has said about the place being haunted. I would imagine it's more of a word-of-mouth sort of thing from the tenants...

It makes me wonder if, when paranormal things happen, there might be some sort of "map" of warning signs, or perhaps a sort of imprint-trail of coincidences left behind. I might also be reading too much into this, but don't the conditions just seem rather fitting?
SmokeyKnight (3 stories) (193 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-25)
My only concern in connecting paranormal things and numerology is if you talk to a numerologist they would say that everything is connected by numbers. Everyone seems to be connected to a number. Oddly, I find my number is 447. I see that number all the time.

Is 3 a universal number?

DA- since you said you are going to see about your other half's story, what about his mom? I wonder since she stayed in that other room if she had a different (or even similar) view on these events?
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
14 years ago (2010-03-24)
Smokey and Whitebuffalo: I think what I'm going to do is go back over some of the older stories and see if I can see any common thread... This is totally blowing my mind! 😆...I'll also be paying more attention to the newer posts, and my own experiences... Cool 😆 ❤

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: