You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Images Of Mist

Real Ghost Stories

Images Of Mist

 

As one drives West on route 138 in Rhode Island, traveling from Newport to Interstate 95, one has to pass the University of Rhode Island (URI). Just past the entrance to the athletic fields there is a dirt road that exits off of RT 138 on the right hand side. This small dirt road travels about 300-500 yards, then turns left and travels about 200-300 yards, and comes back out onto RT 138. Down at the "L" formed by this old dirt road you come to 2 historic cemeteries.

The first one on the left, the second across the road on the right (they are both at the turn of the dirt road). I have forgotten their numbers, both are small and last time I saw, need some TLC. As you drive Westbound you can see all the way down the dirt road to where it turns. I know about this road and it's cemeteries because I had attended a 'ghost hunt' there with a couple of guys from my ship and some college students from URI (for them it was a 1987 Halloween "trick", but I learned about that too late.

The idiots from my ship were trying to "scare" the girls from the college into bed with them. They cracked bad jokes about the dead and one of the drunk S.O.B.'s actually pissed on one of the grave markers (I ended up taking a cab back to the base after staying at the graveyards and apologizing to those who rested there).

It was late spring in 1988, and I had orders to attend a school in Norfolk, Va. I decided to drive down (New car and the Navy was paying for room, board and mileage. So why not?). It was 2130-ish (9:30 P.M.) on a clear Friday night as I passed URI and approached this dirt road on the right. My headlights were on high, and they lit up the road, right down to the end where it turned.

I saw a misty shape down at the far end of the road. From my angle it looked to be an old fashioned horse drawn hearse. I slowed my car as I passed the entrance to this dirt road, and tried to get a better look. It still appeared to be just what I thought I'd seen, a horse drawn hearse, but made out of fog or mist.

I put on my blinker, knowing that the road I had been looking down rejoined RT 138 not too far ahead, and when it did, I turned onto it.

As I reached the point where I had to turn right, I saw what appeared to be a thick fog dissipating under the brightness of my headlights. As it did so, I made out the form of the 'upper' part of the hearse. I saw the figure of a man in a top hat holding the horses reigns. The shape of torches on either side of the front of the hearse. I could see the top portion of the hearse, all the way back to the rear, where there were two more torch shapes on the rear corners of the hearse. I took all this in as it faded away, as if being torn apart in the wind.

I stopped the car and got out and looked around. I could no longer see any mist, but I did hear the loud snort of a horse. The right side of my face got suddenly damp. As I wiped at my cheek, I got back in my car, and just sat there for a few minutes. I then said a quick thank you to "the Powers that Be", and those that rested there, for letting me see such a site.

Other hauntings by rookdygin

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Rhode Island

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, rookdygin, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-09-28)
Rook--What a rare vision you were fortunate enough to experience! I could really visualize what you saw from your excellent description. I also like that you apologized to the residents of the graveyards on your earlier visit for the actions of some of the others who clearly had no respect. I grew up on an island off the coast of South Carolina and there were ruins of a pre Civil War plantation where a misty/foggy horse drawn hearse was seen by many residents (including my friends mother who lived across the street). Sadly I never saw it but I certainly had a lot of encounters with the unknown on that island!

Like you, I WANT to see the rare and intriguing glimpses of apparitions. In the account of the young woman (and her brother) hearing a potentially paranormal horse trotting on the street right outside their house and not even looking...well, it's a great missed opportunity!
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-23)
Lakota,

Thank you for taking the time to read this experience and for your comment.

Respectfully,

Rook
Lakota73 (5 stories) (108 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-22)
Interesting story, Rookdygin.

I believe because you expressed your remorse and apologised, the forgiving spirits were only too happy to show you their acknowledgement.

Glad you made your peace with the spirits. I really enjoyed the part where you saw the mist. I am intrigued by anything suggestive of road ghosts.

Lakota73 😊
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-30)
Here is my theory. Mind you, I haven't read any of the other comments (being a lazy bum today). What you saw was a protector of sorts of the grave yards. I didn't see it in your story and I don't know if you mentioned it in the comments so I don't know how you were feeling during the time you saw the mist. But I take it that you didn't feel any fear. My theory is that this protector took on the form of a mist to scare away any unwanted people who try to disturb the peace of its residences. Once it realized that you were one of the "good guys", you got the lick from the horse.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-20)
[at] rook,

This system isn't going to change rook. The folks in charge like it this way. You see, controversy draws a crowd. You get a good enough debate going here and pretty soon the place is packed. Why would you want to change that? It's the one goal that can always be counted on being reached. Putting butts in the seats. That's how the game is played. When everyone is happy and getting along it's great, but it only brings in so much. Not like when there is controversy. It's like an accident out on the highway, people have to slow down and stop to get a good look at other peoples misery.
It all comes down to how many hits the site gets. So if remaining with the current system causes some bad feelings, then it is doing just what it's intended. It's no big secret really. And it works, so...
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Simple as that.

Jav
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-07-18)
Bbrave,
Here is an example of what I feel is a "living residual" event:

Residual Haunting:
The general opinion that an event, person, or animal has been 'recorded' and saved into the environment in which it took place. This would have been either a traumatic event or a repetitive action that took place in that particular area. At some point this recorded event will then go into a 'playback' mode, similar to a video clip. This is known as a 'residual' type haunting. It does not interact with anyone. You cannot get it to converse with you. It simply repeats the same actions or events each time. It doesn't think, it doesn't change. It's just there and gone. That is your typical residual event.

Living Residual:
Take the same residual event and send it into the 'playback' mode a little earlier than expected. What is there to keep this event from going into the 'playback' mode at any point in the future. How would the environment 'know' that it was time to start that playback? What changes need to occur to then send the signal that a person has passed on, thereby spurring the residual image into motion? Could it merely be the absence of a persons energy that the environment has become accustomed to that triggers the playback we refer to as a residual image/haunting?
Say the event recorded was a repetitive action done by one person. And this person was entering the kitchen at the same time each day and brewing a pot of coffee. That person's energy is in that space and time frame, performing the same motions day after day. Now, let's say this person goes out of town for a few days, while other residents of the house stay home. Someone else has the coffee brewing task. This person enters the same area, not at the same time as the one who normally performs this task, maybe 10 minutes later. As this person
Reaches the kitchen area they are stunned to see the person who went out of town, walking out of the area with a steaming cup of coffee in their hand. Thinking perhaps that person returned early and has already brewed the coffee, they go over to pour a cup for themselves, only to realize there is no fresh brew waiting for them. The pot hasn't been touched. The sink is dry. And the cup they saw in the persons hand a moment ago still sits in it's usual spot.
These sightings are often attributed to the Doppelganger theory. I say it is more likely to have been a "Living Residual". The name speaks for itself. The theory rests on the overall timing of the 'playback' mode. It would have been spurred into action simply because the energy normally filling that certain time and space was no longer there and the 'playback' was filling in the blanks.

This is just my opinion though, others may have different ideas.

Jav
Bbrave (1 stories) (131 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-07-18)
I'll get back to you on that I haven't formulated an idea after having acknowledged my mistake
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-18)
Jav,

You know very well what I meant when I said that. 😉

Bbrave,

Enthusiasm for the topic is great... I find it helps if I take the time to read the experience a second time and or open 'Word' and cut and paste quotes from either the experience or the comments I'm addressing before I post a comment... It helps me to... As Jav put it... Keep my ducks in a row...

Now, what do you think... Based on the definitions provided?

Respectfully,

Rook
Bbrave (1 stories) (131 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-18)
I can't say the reason could be anything. Likely they have to do with something personal to the spirit and not having any personal knowledge of these spirits I could only speculate
Bbrave (1 stories) (131 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-07-18)
Honestly I can't say so I'll humbly say I made a mistake. It happens when I start getting excited about a subject. Thanks for pointing out the error Rook I need to calm down before posting
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-18)
Rook,
"you guys"? Back fifteen and punt Mr Rook. I got my ducks in a row here.

Jav 😉
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-18)
Well shucks... You guys beat me to the answer I was looking for.

So I will ask this...

Bbrave,

Just why are these 'intelligent spirits' that are repeating the actions from their daily lives 'stuck' earthbound as you put it.

Respectfully,

Rook
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-18)
Bbrave,
No apologies are needed in this, trust me. I am merely interested in how you, yourself, separate the two types of spirit sightings. As I see it, the residual image has no spiritual connection whatsoever, it being merely as an image recorded and played back. It cannot communicate anything further than showing what occurred in the geographic location at some point in the past. Whereas an Intelligent image is an actual entity that has either remained in that plane of existence for any number of reasons, or has crossed over and returned. It can communicate with the living, under the right conditions, and if it is of the mind to.

Jav
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-18)
Bbrave,

Interesting point... But let me ask this... How is a RECORDING intelligent? You just stated...

"In any type of haunting the spirit is intelligent. It's just in cases like Rook's they are performing their jobs as if they are still alive."

The 'preforming' their jobs as if they were still alive... Kinda fits what I'm referring to as a residual... But perhaps an explanation is in order.

I'm basing my 'Theory' on these definitions, this may help...

Residual Haunting: A recording of 'past' events. These may be sounds/images only or on rare instances they may be both. They simply 'repeat' when there is enough energy present to trigger them or on the anniversary of the event. They do not interact with anything they simply are a 'replay' of recorded events... There s no 'spirit' attached to them.

Intelligent Haunting: In the case of an Intelligent Haunting there is a 'spirit' involved. They 'interact' with the 'living'. They make noises, talk (call names) and even 'show' themselves (Manifest) to us. The living (us) are able to see/experience more or less depending on the individuals sensitivity.

I hope that helps...

Respectfully,

Rook
Bbrave (1 stories) (131 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-18)
I don't because I believe in both cases an intelligent being is involved. Though In one case it's free to be more active and the other it's set in a routine it had while alive.

Like a job in which a routine has been set and followed for x number of years. That being the case I believe the spirit will continue to follow that routine as long as it is earth bound.

Which I believe the spirits are in residual hauntings. Earth bound spirits who do not know they have passed on from this life. So they continue to do the work they have done in life
Bbrave (1 stories) (131 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-18)
Jav I'm sorry if my reply only causes you more confusion. Could you tell me what it was I said that caused the initial confusion?
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-18)
Bbrave,
How do you, yourself, separate the two types of images? The 'residual' vs the 'intelligent'?

Jav
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-18)
Jav,

Just tossing a Theory out there to see what it stirs up. I can 'see' what you are saying.

It sure beats breaking out the Miss Demeaner... Which is fun... But I like to pick peoples brains every once in awhile.

Respectfully,

Rook
Bbrave (1 stories) (131 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-18)
Oh let me clear up the confusion as best I can then.
In any type of haunting the spirit is intelligent. It's just in cases like Rook's they are performing their jobs as if they are still alive.

In the end driving to the cemetery to transport someone to their final resting place was a routine for the hearse driver while alive. Even if it was because of his chosen profession so in death he would have the same routine. I hope that helps it is not much I know but it's the best way I could put it
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-18)
Rook,
I get all that. However, the possibility stills remains for it to be residual if you are going under the precept that the 'right amount' of energy is needed for the residual image to go into playback mode.
I have another theory about what sets off the residual image, I haven't worked it through to a satisfactory completion of the cycle yet though. I'm thinking the energy of the original person or scene the image portrays at a particular moment on the clock, need only to be missing from the geographic space for the playback to kick in. Nature filling that empty space in, so to speak. Energy be damned. It goes with the 'living residual' theory I've been wrestling with.

Jav
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-18)
Bbrave,
Your answer is a little confusing to me. On the one hand it could be residual, on the other intelligent. So the question of which one of those two it could be really is the 'chicken or the egg', in your opinion? Because of the way the question was posed, it leaves it open to either possibility, I suppose.

Jav 😕
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-18)
Jav,

Yes it makes sense... But let's look at it this way...

A Residual Haunting is a 'recorded' event... It plays back and consists of clear images or sounds. For the sake of this discussion these events/sounds were recorded here on the physical realm and that is why they are so clear when they play back, they are a part of the physical realm.

Now a Living Spirit (Ghost/Entity) exists in the 'Spirit Realm' (lets say it's attached to something in here on the physical realm and this causes 'them' to be unable to 'move on'...like the cord that keeps the Astral Projector connected to their body) and attempts to manifest here on the physical realm... In order to do so this 'intelligent energy' expends energy to 'cross the veil' (the separation between the physical and spiritual realms) once a spirit has accomplished this it then needs to 'gather' more energy in order to make a sound or 'shape itself'. We can 'feel' this if they have drawn energy from us (feeling drained), cold spots (pulling energy from the environment) or maybe we feel a 'hot spot' (again caused by the pull of energy from the environment).

These are just Theories... I have no clue if I'm right or off in right field with the dandelions...

Respectfully,

Rook
Bbrave (1 stories) (131 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-18)
Jav

That's also a good question because it's possible that may be the case. People leave trails of energy in their wake as they go about life. Which gets imprinted onto the surroundings as it's absorbed.

Creating an invisible motion picture of what has happened in any given area. Which would explain the footsteps people report hearing in haunted houses.

Also it would explain what Rook saw. Since the conditions were right to allow the playback of the previously recorded events. Even though they took place before his time!

So when the events playback it's like being there and watching so the spirit of the person driving the buggy is present. Doing his job just as he would have if he was still alive.

Some who have passed on do not seem to be aware they have passed on

Rook

I see did not catch the comment until today. That's a hard question to answer. I believe that to be the case beyond it just making sense. I believe the spirit body would contain water just as a physical body does just in a different form.

That's the best way I can put it
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-18)
Rook,
This is nearly as perplexing as the 'chicken or the egg' question. I am of the thinking that it would almost have to be Intelligent to be able to cause such a manipulation to occur in the first place. However, if residual images are an accident of nature that need only the energy it takes go into play mode to be able to see it, then who's to say that it isn't doing just that at the time the photo is being taken. Does that make sense?

Jav
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-18)
Kryodrache,

Unfortunately negatives are becoming a thing of the past, but they were a great way to prove the 'image' was something in front of the 'old' 35mm camera.

Residual Haunting's, of the visual sort, may appear so clear not because they are an actual 'spirit', but because they are simply a 'recording' of something that happened... A recording that plays back when there is enough energy present to allow it to play. So what is seen is like watching a movie... And not seeing an actual 'living spirit'.

As far as seeing the 'image' only in the picture, but not with the 'naked' eye... Fog always looks thicker with your high beams on than it does with your 'low beams' or can be almost unseen if the right shade of amber light is used. It's the same with dust particles... The more gathered in one spot the easier they are to see... The fewer... Well maybe it takes a 'flash' that allows the 'shape' to be captured on film. With newer cameras, those that are digital anyway, perhaps the spirit (being energy) is able to manipulate the image itself as the picture is being taken... In either case... The lights being just right... Or the spirit itself manipulating the digital image... We do not see anything with our naked eye until we examine the pictures.

Just some thoughts on the matter.

Respectfully,

Rook
Kryodrache (3 stories) (108 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-18)
[at] Rook:

An interesting idea... But that would beg to question why only cameras manage to nab the appearance of a spirit, and then mostly on the negatives (if I am to understand correctly), when said shape was not seen or recognized by the human eye. An interesting theory, it would certainly describe the sudden chill of a spirit present in the room. HOWEVER; this could also be due to the fact that human beings, especially maturing ones, can see very cursory things and put them off. I remember seeing some strange things, at points, and then immediately doubting that I had actually seen it. The human brain naturally wants to see it a second or even third time, just to be sure, and sometimes we don't have that option.

But the way I figure... Is a spirit would have to have some way to contact a person, as when most of the time they show up (save for a residual haunting, perhaps) is to purposefully show themselves or make a point. Like with my incident in Wal-Mart; that figure in my periphiral vision seemed to have a goal in mind. Therefore, they could always be present... But have the ability to tweak with potential or active energy in some way we don't understand. Like they exist in a dimension we can't possibly open up because we don't have, and will never have, the correct tools to do so.

Sorry if I went off on a tangent there. Your comments just certainly get me thinking:P
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-18)
Seems it was some mist that looked like something. I've seen that before and can understand the weirdness.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-18)
Weeeee!

Alrighty then...

Ummmm can we get back to the question I asked?

"General consensus seems to be that Spirits are comprised of some form of Electromagnetic Energy. When they choose to 'draw' energy from the environment in an attempt to manifest we tend to feel cold spots, or is some reports a warm (hot) spot. So is a manifestation comprised of a static charge attracting dust and other small particles that take the shape of 'the spirit' and/or could the temperature difference cause water vapor (condensation/dew point) to form (a mist) and take of the shape of the spirit?"

And a in another comment of mine, for a bit of clarification...

"I'm asking is the 'manifestation' we see either of these 'elements' defining the shape of the 'Intelligent Energy' that is a spirit, as it effects the environment around it?"

Any Ideas, anyone?

Respectfully,

Rook
MizMiMi02 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-17)
I agree Jav- Sometimes you just want that person to know you appreciate their comment. Even though it may have been so far out in left field, it took an entire team to try and locate it. Lol
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-17)
I haven't forgotten. But you seem to be under the impression that those previous votes were made in that conversation. They were not. I had voted Red positively on a few other threads where she had been helping people resolve their issues. When she brought up the "MMKP BAM!", I found it to be a clever way of responding to a comment that makes you smile, but has nothing to do with the story. That way, it cannot be taken away by someone else. Non abusive, positive reinforcement. What's wrong with that?

Jav

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: