You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Whispered Name, Cat Ghost, And Haunted Island

Real Ghost Stories

Whispered Name, Cat Ghost, And Haunted Island

 

I never thought much about this when it happened, but there was a place between our house and the one next door where I used regularly to hear my name whispered. This will have been when I was less than 10 years old. I just sort of got used to it: that was the place where I would hear my name. I'd walk a little faster and be glad to be away from it--so apparently I was slightly spooked but not really scared enough ever to tell anyone about it. Until now, that is!

Cat ghost

As a young adult, I had a cat that I loved very much: Libby the Wonder Cat! She got mangled by two overplayful dogs and I had a horrible, horrible day at the vet's where her needs were ignored so that other pets could get their shots or whatever... Libby disappeared eventually into the vet's room and I never saw her alive again. I was gutted! For years afterwards, I would feel her jump on my bed at night. I would really be convinced she was there. I put this down to imagination and grief--though it continued long after I was grieving for little Libby--until I read that a lot of other people have had the same experience. So, maybe she did come back to cheer me up!

Haunted Island

My last mini-tale is about a place where I had a very bad feeling and years later heard of someone else having the same feeling about the same place. When I was little, my family used to go to Jekyll Island on the coast of Georgia for holidays. One day, aged about 14, I decided to walk all the way around the island. Crazy idea--I would never had made it--it was about 15 miles and I had no supplies! Anyway, I had only gone about 2 miles to the north end of the island, which at that time (it will have been circa 1975) was very isolated--not a building in sight. I was suddenly, inexplicably overcome with terror. What I imagined to myself was that an alligator would attack. I had never heard of alligators on that island. It was broad daylight with the Georgia sun beating down at about 90F. Anyway, a good 15 years later, an Italian friend of mine at university went on a trip through Georgia with another friend visiting from Italy. My friend (Clara) came back with stories from her travels, including Jekyll, which I had recommended to her. The other friend had insisted on sunbathing on a particularly lonely part of the island (probably so she could go topless!), but Clara felt very uncomfortable there. She was deeply unsettled and only half joked to her friend, when she saw a running shoe on the beach, that something must have got the jogger... It was only when Clara told me this story that I remembered my experience so many years earlier. We discussed it and decided it must be just about the same place on the island--the northeast end, beautifully secluded view onto the Atlantic and mysteriously unpopulated. Well, I've been back since and it is now very populated, and doesn't feel scary. So, go figure!

So, there's a few stories, short and sweet. I hope they're not too boring!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Georgia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Lollypop, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

kiki85748 (5 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-10-21)
cute stories I like them I have heard things whisper my name to it does feel a little weird ❤
Lollypop (1 stories) (10 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-14)
Hey Zoajet--sorry I missed your comment. I haven't checked in for a while.

I'd love to hear more of your Jekyll Island stories!
zoajet (2 stories) (276 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-20)
i am talking bout Jekyll Island. But I know of other islands that's haunted also.
preacher1 (37 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-20)
The exact quote is this:
Ecclesiastes 3:19-20 (New King James Version)
19 For what happens to the sons of men also happens to animals; one thing befalls them: as one dies, so dies the other. Surely, they all have one breath; man has no advantage over animals, for all is vanity. 20 All go to one place: all are from the dust, and all return to dust.
We could argue over what it means but I take it as if people go to heaven so do animals.
Lollypop (1 stories) (10 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-19)
Hi everyone and thanks for the comments. Glad you looked up the biblical reference, Tonith--I got distracted and forgot to! 😉

Zoajet--are you talking about Jekyll Island off the coast of Georgia, which is where I was, or are you just saying any old island or some island you know about?
zoajet (2 stories) (276 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-18)
the cat, she did come back to cheer you up. Now the Haunted Island... That's a little harder to explain. Through out my life, there been 4 spirit portals there. I also heard many rumors about people who died was bury and people who someone else killed was thrown in water. One other rumor which I don't know for sure about is that there supposingly a grave with a cage around it in the middle of the island.
Tonith (1136 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-05-17)
All that bible verse says is all flesh goes to dust and it's up for grabs if human spirits ascend and animal spirits descend. I hope they ascend because it wouldn't be heaven without them. Animals can have more loyalty than humans. So much for instinct versus a reasoning brain.
Patch (3 stories) (91 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-05-16)
I had a ghost kitty once, it wasn't my cat but she was still there, she was adorable, I told people that we had two cats one of them was living and the other a ghost.

About the Island story that's very interesting, especially since you could talk to a friend about it.

Thanks for sharing your story. ❤
Lollypop (1 stories) (10 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-16)
Thanks for your comments, Dreamergal and Preacher! Must go look up that biblical rference, then...
preacher1 (37 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-16)
I have heard of many stories such as yours, the bible also gives clues as to what happens to animals when they die ECCLESIASTES 3:19-20. God bless
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-16)
Hello, I love your story and Yeah I am a cat lover myself I had lost a few cats in my life. Very interest story there.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: