You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Jesse James Birthplace And Farm

Real Ghost Stories

Jesse James Birthplace And Farm

 

During spring break of this year (March 15-21) I went on a small road trip with my grandma, my aunt and my cousins. On the last day of our trip, we visited the Jesse James Farm and Birthplace by Kearney, Missouri.

We got there, watched the short video they showed about the history of Jesse James, his family and the farm. Afterwards, we looked at the museum for a little bit and then went on our tour of the house.

Before I explain to you about the experience, I'm going to tell you some background information about Jesse James and this farm.

Jesse Woodson James was born on September 5, 1847 at Kearney, Missouri, the son of Rev. Robert James and Zerelda Elizabeth (Cole) James. His father died of Cholera at a Placerville, California gold camp. His mother remarried a neighboring farmer, Benjamin Simms and in 1854, he was killed in a horse accident. She then married her third husband, Dr. Reuben Samuel.

Throughout that time, she bore 8 children, from her first and last husbands. It was here that Jesse was whipped as a teenager by Union militia, who strung up his stepfather and burned nearby farms. It was also here where Pinkerton detectives bombed the house, killing Archie Samuel, the youngest son of Reuben and Zerelda, and where Zerelda lost her right hand or arm in the attack.

After Jesse was killed, he was buried here, where Zerelda could protect his grave from trespassers and souvenir hunters. Later on, his body was reinterred at Mount Olivet Cemetery in Kearney. The James family farm is said to have been haunted for over a century. It's supposedly home to a number of lingering spirits and lights are said to move both inside and outside the property buildings. Others report hearing the sounds of pounding hooves, muffled shots and cries that are reminiscent of the area history, dating back to the events of the Civil War.

Today wide arrays of mysterious happenings occur inside the house. Reports are frequent that lights are seen inside the building long after it has been locked up for the evening and movements are often seen which are never registered on a security monitoring system. Staff reports a feeling of a presence within the home. Others report that on foggy mornings, hushed voices and the sounds of restless horses can be heard from the nearby woods. However, when they follow up, there are no signs of a disturbance or tracks within the trees.

Now, to my experience.

I didn't sense anything odd inside or outside of the house, although the inside of the house felt a little chilly. While we were outside, I was taking pictures and overheard our tour guide telling my aunt and my grandma about Ghost Hunters coming out and investigating. Since I'm extremely interested in those things, I had to join the conversation to get more details. I believe she said the ghost hunters got several EVPs but I'm not sure what else occurred.

She told us that one day when she was getting ready to give a tour and there was nobody inside the house, she, along with the tourists, heard a loud crash inside. Somehow the phone seemed to have been thrown across the room, which I don't think would just happen on its own. She also told us about a man getting his picture taken on one side of the house, next to a window and apparently after developing the film, he saw what appeared to be two outlaw-looking men standing there with him. They weren't there when the picture was taken.

I decided to take a picture of my cousins next to that same window, along with taking more pictures. Later on, I was zooming in on the pictures to see if I had caught anything interesting and I saw the face of a man with a white beard in the window and he looked as if he could have been Zerelda's husband, Dr. Reuben Samuel, or possibly a Civil War soldier. I looked at picture of another window, zoomed in, and noticed I had caught another face. This one appears to be a man with a cowboy hat and a mustache.

I was very excited, and still am, because I had never caught images like these on film before.

Jesse James Birthplace And Farm 1
Jesse James Birthplace And Farm 2
Jesse James Birthplace And Farm 3
Jesse James Birthplace And Farm 4

Other hauntings by mandalyn05

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Missouri

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, mandalyn05, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

mandalyn05 (5 stories) (35 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-18)
tonith: That makes a lot of sense! I honestly don't blame them for doing what they did, especially since they were protecting what was rightfully their's!

Ghostluver: Give me your email and I'll see what I can do.
Ghostluver (4 stories) (123 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-17)
wow. Cool story but I can't see the pictures that well! Could you send better copies to me?
Tonith (1136 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-05-17)
Can you imagine how hard it was to live in those times? It's not a wonder they ended up doing what they did to survive. It's not right but when push comes to shove we can't imagine what we would do. Sounds like those brothers came from a good family but circumstances lead them down a road I'm sure under normal conditions they would have never taken. Trauma can do horrible things to a person.
mandalyn05 (5 stories) (35 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-12)
Okay, I had some trouble at first, but I think I've figured out how to make these images into an album on photobucket. Here is the link to the album http://s690.photobucket.com/albums/vv264/mandalyn2005/
mandalyn05 (5 stories) (35 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-12)
josehunder: I will definitely have to try that, it'll help me out a lot. Thanks a bunch!
josehunder (2 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-12)
hey mandalyn05 you can post the pictures on www.bayimg.com and then post the link here. Also www.photobucket.com is good too.

I would love to see the pics!
mandalyn05 (5 stories) (35 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-12)
For those of you who want pictures, I'll go ahead and give you my email, then you can send me yours. It's acdc_fanatic_2005 [at] yahoo.com I made this email when I was in high school, but I'm not much of an acdc fan anymore but it would be too much work to change it
Anna84 (3 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-12)
I would love to see the photos? Could you email them to me?
Great story by the way!
*****
ScorpioGirl (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-12)
Good Story! I will send you my email so I can get the pictures if that's OK? 😳
Synndill (2 stories) (12 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-11)
Mandalyn05, that is deffinately an interesting story thank you so much for shareing. I will have to send you my email also since I would also be interested in seeing the pictures!
Thank you very much!
Mandi
Patch (3 stories) (91 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-11)
You should post the pictures. It would be awesome. Actually, I'll just do what you asked and send you my email.

Thanks for sharing ❤
mandalyn05 (5 stories) (35 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-11)
Whitebuffalo, that was a very interesting story for me to read. Thank you so much for your comment! 😁
whitebuffalo (guest)
+1
15 years ago (2009-05-11)
I find this story most interesting as my Great Grandmother used to share her Sunday dining table in the company of Jessie and Frank, one of his brothers. I feel a kind of kinsmanship WITH the family (Not so much Jessie and Frank, but with the James clan. I still consider the children born of separate Fathers James' as for their bond of their Mother) as it is family legend that after FRANKS death, my Great Grandmother was visited by his Spirit in the name of friendship. The account is written of in a book of early Michigan settlers (sorry, I do not recall the name, I will have to ask around) and my Great Grandmothers name IS Zetzel.
Anyway.
The only real reason why I can believe that the homestead is such an active place, is because of all the hardship that was endured due to lack of money. The Pinkertons spent MANY a man hour trying to locate, and bring in, the James boys. If it had NOT been for the death, and injury of both Father and Mother respectively, the James boys very well may have remained farmers. The taxation's were getting ridiculous. They were going to lose their home. At the time, they felt they had no choice.
They joined a group of Confederates during the Civil War, and were therefore labeled guerillas, and were accused of committing MANY evil deeds in the name of the Confederacy. There really is NO documented proof that both boys were involved. Only hearsay. SOME of it, they admitted to. MOST of it, they basically said "People will believe what they wish to".
Many of the females in my family (my Grandmother had the worse case) had a "thing" for Bat Masterson. In fact, in later years, my Grandmother had a doctor with the same last name. When her mind started to fade, it replaced his first name with that of Bat's.
I know, off subject, but is it really?
Nope. ONE of the entities that still roams the James homestead is reportedly that of Mr. Masterson himself. He had hid out there with the James on several occasions, and ALL of the band (the Youngers, too) had a warm heart for Jessie and Franks Mother. She always took care of them, feed them, washed their clothes, prepared a room for them... When Bat Masterson was at his sickest form, SHE took very good care of him.
I would LOVE to visit this place, if only to "meet" the lost loves of my family's past. Nothing ever would have come of any kind of liaison, but oh how some of those women folk wished for something more...
Thank you.
mandalyn05 (5 stories) (35 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-11)
I don't know why the pictures didn't show up. I did what I was told to do to post them on here, but apparently it didn't work. Give me your email and I'll send them to ya. Anyone else who wants to see them, give me your emails too and I'll send them as soon as I can.
dd2collin (5 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-11)
Why didn't you post the pictures, we would love to see them? 😢 I think many people are fascinated by Jessie James, and outlaws such as he.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: