You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Frightening Childhood Memories

Real Ghost Stories

Frightening Childhood Memories

 

I have had two unusual experiences, both involving shadowy figures, both seemingly male, and both that have haunted my memory for years.

The first occurrence happened in 1994, when I was a small child. I was living with my mother and father in an apartment complex in Virginia Beach.

Our apartment had a very long hallway extending from the living room to the rear of the apartment, where my bedroom was located. I can remember to this day, how long and dim that hallway was.

It was in the middle of the day, probably around 4 to 5 P.M. I remember distinctly that my father was home from work, and my mother was in an altogether different section of the apartment, either the kitchen or the living room. One of our apartment's two bathrooms was located on the left-hand side of the hallway. I was walking through the hallway to my bedroom, when I saw him. There was a tall, VERY tall figure of a man standing in the darkness of the bathroom. He was as tall as my father, who was 6'3, if not taller. He was dressed in Black and he was a very DISTINCT figure--meaning that these were not clothes upon a hanger. The figure had bulk and substance. I saw the outline of a man's body; his arms, legs, shoulders and most importantly of all, I saw the outline of his face. There was no light on in the bathroom, not even a nightlight, so I did not see any facial features or details, but I saw a very real male figure standing in the corner of the bathroom, shrouded in the shadows.

I stopped dead in my tracks and called out "Is that you, Daddy?" The figure said nothing and did nothing. Once I realized that this was not my father, I ran screaming. I immediately asked my father if he had been in the bathroom, telling him I thought I had seen him there. He had no idea of what I was talking about, shook his head and said "No." My parents seemed to think that all I had seen was a shadow, and I didn't persist. I already wanted to forget this frightful experience, but I was left shaken, disturbed, and left somewhat dreading that long, dim hallway.

The second experience happened 5 to 6 years later. Life had changed a lot between the two events. My father had passed away (cancer) and me and my mother had moved to a different apartment.

In this new apartment, my bedroom was attached to my mother's bedroom by a bathroom. The bathroom had two doors, one on the side of my mom's bedroom and one on my side, and when both doors were opened up I could see straight through to her room. I remember it taking a long time for me to get to sleep, as long as 30-45 minutes much of the time. Therefore, I would just be in my bed staring at the walls or ceilings, waiting for sleep to come. This night, I remember having a palpable feeling of fear, as if I was waiting for something bad to happen.

It happened.

I saw the dark, shadowy but again, DISTINCT figure of a man crossing my mother's bedroom (where she was sleeping) to the left side of her room, where a writing desk was located right in front of a window. He was walking so quickly, he was almost gliding. I know I should have woken up, called the police, screamed, done SOMETHING, but I was young and terrified. I pulled the covers over my head and hid, paralyzed with fear. I believe I didn't open my eyes again until morning, but nothing had happened. Nothing was stolen, we were both fine, so I did not mention it to her. I made myself believe it was just a shadow on the wall I had seen, and forced myself to forget about it.

I didn't want to accept it was anything "bizarre". However, I am now older, have long since moved, and have to come to believe that I DID indeed see something unexplainable. What I saw was a distinct figure, crossing from one part of the room to another. Shadows on the wall don't do that.

That is my story. Thanks for letting me share it.

Other hauntings by retro_rose

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Virginia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, retro_rose, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-13)
Sounds like more shadowpeople.

Http://www.shadowpeople.org/
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-12)
I am sorry that you lost your fahter I too lost my father to heart attack when I was 17. So It may be something like future or omen that something Will Happen to your father that will died I am not saying it true but just not know what it is and also when you and your mother move again another one of that shadow have no Idea what it was.
retro_rose (2 stories) (12 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-10)
Hi Phrenzy,

Thanks for your comment. See, I really wasn't sure at those times. That was the only reason I didn't dwell on it. However, as I said, whatever I experienced I consider ULTIMATELY unimportant because of my belief in God and His power.

Take care,

Retro_rose 😊
Phrenzy (36 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-10)
If you saw something, then you saw something. One of the worst things you can do is lie to yourself. Some drive themselves to madness, or medication which never ends well. Sometimes your not sure, but if you did, you did.
retro_rose (2 stories) (12 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-10)
Hi alexander90, thanks for your comment and sharing your experience. I personally believe in Jesus Christ so anything I did experience, I let it roll off my back like water on a duck. I believe God is the most powerful and some of the bizarre things some people in society experience/have experienced are to me, tantamount to cheap magic tricks. That is my personal belief.:)

Take care,

Retro_rose
alexander90 (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-09)
This story reminds me to something I saw.

I am now 19 not releligous, and I don't believe in god,heaven,ghost.
This is not the age to lie or make up things 2 years ago I saw a red figure standing in the corner I got so scared it was watching me, I always told myself I imagined it.

I did not believe in ghost or I was always in doubt, I may still be in doubt

But how is it possible that every person that sees one of these things has the same details?

It ends up in a corner, has a special collor
Is Mad,Big,and watches him.
Ive read a phew storys on here and it is so odd so many people that have atleast saw 1 figure.
I did not imagine that thing I saw in the corner I was so scared, I am not scared quickly but this thing forced me to look, and get scared.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: