You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Unexplained Event

Real Ghost Stories

Unexplained Event

 

I have never thought about discussing this kind of thing with anyone before, so it feels a bit strange - please bare with me if I ramble!

I have had several experiences over the last few years that I have been wondering about for some time. The latest was over the past few nights, which is why I am writing this now! I feel it's about time I asked for some feedback as to be honest I don't quite know what to make of it all.

This is my first experience (I was going to write them all in one lot but I have found that this may be too long for one sitting!)

This was during my first year of university in London. My digs used to be an old nunnery - the building was very big with four floors, each floor was basically a long corridor with fire doors at either end (an added feature obv, but important to the story!). Students rooms were on either side of the corridor, adjacent to each other, and it was very clear whenever anyone left/entered these corridors as their footsteps would echo along the space and disturb other people - which frequently happened late at night as you can imagine with students!

Well, one night I had just returned from working at a local pub (student funding is no good in England!) The digs were dead as everyone had gone home for Easter break and I was basically the only one on my floor (4th) except for the hall rep, who I knew was staying with his girlfriend on another campus that night. I got into my room and was just starting to unwind when someone knocked loudly on my door. I looked up, startled, as I had not heard anyone coming along the corridor, but shrugged it off as I just assumed I was preoccupied and didn't notice. So, I opened the door, expecting possibly my hall rep, but absolutely no one was there! I looked around, very spooked by now. There was no way someone could have gotten all the way down to the fire doors at the end of the corridor by the time I opened the door - no way, or I'd have heard them running, and even then they'd have to have super powers to get that far so fast! The fire doors would also have made a huge racket as they opened/shut because they clicked loudly. I peered both ways and decided to get the heck out of the hallway, so I closed and locked my door.

Trying to rationalize this was hard, but I tried. I was a bit tired, I'd had a long day, maybe someone had gone into another students room (I secretly knew this was not true as I'd have heard the doors opening/closing and also I knew no one was on the floor as everyone had left that morning!) I also started to think about something I'd read somewhere about letting "things" in. I tried to block that out but it kept coming back.

Anyway, I eventually got into bed, lights off, and started to drift off when I suddenly started feeling very strange - a sense of foreboding, like something bad was about to happen. I got the sudden urge to look over towards my door and as I did so I could see something on the floor. It looked like it had a habit on (something monks used to wear) which covered its whole body and it seemed to be on all fours on the floor next to the door with the hood up so I could not make out anything but the shape. I strained in the gloom of my room to make it out as I could not believe my eyes (nothing like this had ever happened to me before!). As I watched, to my horror it started crawling towards me (as I write this the hair on the back of my neck is standing up!) I froze. I was dumbfounded. I did not know whether to shout or scream or what. In the end I just lay there, watching it approach (I could see it's elbows moving as it crawled) The bed was maybe 20 foot from the door and I knew I could not wait to find out what was going to happen when it reached me, so I gathered every bit of courage I had (and it took a lot I can tell you) and practically flew out of bed and over to the light switch. I rammed it on and looked around madly but there was absolutely nothing there. Nothing. I was inconsolable, but there was no one about to go to! I must have sat for several hours trying to explain it away, but I knew what I saw. I could not rationalize this one jot, as I had not even had chance to get to sleep!

This was the only time I had an experience in these digs and I never told anyone in case they thought I was mad. I don't mind telling you that I slept with my light on for weeks afterwards! The only explanation I could think of was that it was actually a monk, but then why would I feel like it was there to do me harm? I also don't know if the nunnery had an area near it where monks lived. It was definitely not a nun though. It was male. Don't ask me how I know, but it was.

To this day I still get shivers thinking about it

Other hauntings by Wednesday

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Wednesday, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Wednesday (2 stories) (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-10-26)
Thanks for your comments guys... I am writing my second story now...it's nice to get some good comments as sometimes you try so hard to rationalise things but there was no way this could have been!
atyus (3 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-10-24)
I thought your story was funny because a similar expericence happen to me. I know it is true because it happen to me also in a different way.
mrsmla4ever (3 stories) (53 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-10-23)
This is probably one of the scariest stories I have ever read on this site. I can't even imagine what I would have done if I had been in your situation. Congratulations on your bravery! I'm sure most of us would have froze.
Trudy82 (5 stories) (57 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-10-23)
WOW... That gave me chills. I have had the heart-pounding feeling of something being in the room with me at night, but seeing it moving toward you? What a terrifying experience!
jazzeyjay (3 stories) (215 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-22)
I also forgot to mention to you that I don't think this thing was outside your door and you let it in. I feel like it was already inside your room and had to do something to get your attention and to get that fear building up inside you. These things feed off of fear and the more we are afraid of them, the more powerful they become. That gives them a strong-hold over the person. It's hard not to show fear because some of these things that manifest in front of a person can be so frightening that it can all but make a person have a heart attack.
jazzeyjay (3 stories) (215 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-22)
Wednesday: This story chills me to the bone. The way you described how it was walking. I wonder what other buildings were on that property before your University was there? Maybe you should do some researching. The word elemental just popped up in my head. I wonder could this thing have been an elemental? I am so glad you jumped up out of bed and turned on the light. I have experienced frightening things at night too and I try to make a habit of always having a lamp beside my bed, so if anything appears to me at night, I am near a lamp and can reach out and turn it on really quick. I pray this thing never shows itself to you again. That was pure EVIL!

God bless you
ChildOfTheLotus (10 stories) (133 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-22)
Wow! That is freaky. I would have been scared too stiff to move had I been in your position. Your story gave me chills.

Always go with your instincts. If you felt that it was there to do you harm, then it was. It doesn't matter if it was a monk or not. Perhaps the thing you encountered was a wolf in sheep's clothing, if you know what I mean. He may have been a monk, but that didn't stop him from being bad.

I don't think you actually "let" it in, though. You just opened the door, and didn't voice or motion an actual invitation into your dorm. It probably got in by itself. These things happen. Keep being brave, and keep your eyes open.
kissofdeath13 (8 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-22)
awesome story very scary also. I would of been to scared to get up and turn the light on.
Composerman (33 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-22)
Wow, thanks for posting that story, I'm not sure how I would have reacted to seeing that! Just a thought, perhaps the ghost of the monk was repeating what he did in life - 'sneaking' around and creeping across the floor for an illicit encounter in the nunnery?! Look forward to your next story!
brenttan (64 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-22)
You didn't think to pray at such an emergency? The name of "Jesus" is a powerful weapon to use against supernatural attacks.
opaleone (41 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-22)
It does sound like you let something in that night. Good job not just freezing in fear!
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-22)
Eeeek! 😨 That was one scary story. At first I figured the monk was kneeling down praying, but when you said it started to crawl towards You... Geez I have goosebumps. I would have ran out screaming through campus. Good think you got to the light switch in time. Thanks for sharing and can't wait to read more.
Take care 😊
mickijwat (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-22)
Very scary story you did have every right to be scared. Ill be looking on my floor for crawling monks now!
Pete16 (2 stories) (49 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-22)
Wednesday, I got chills reading your story! Thank you for sharing it, and I think you were very justified in being frightened. I would have been too!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: