You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Orbs / Lights / Mists :: The Thing In My Bedroom

Real Ghost Stories

The Thing In My Bedroom

 

I have plenty of stories about things that happened to me in my mom's house before I moved out to Virginia. For some reason, these experiences have been on my mind quite a bit lately due to recent new events where I live now. I was browsing the internet and came across this site and thought it would be a good forum to maybe get some feedback and opinions from others who may be more knowledgeable than myself.

My story goes like this. When I was about 5 or 6 years old, my parents bought this old, rundown house. An old lady had lived there for quite some time with her children. They had eventually all moved out leaving her on her own and she was unable to keep up with the payments and repairs so she had to sell it. At the time, we lived in a rental and my parents really wanted a house of there own. Due to the condition the house was in, my parents were able to get it relatively cheap.

When I say the house was rundown, I mean that my father had to spend the better part of 2 years renovating it just to make it livable. At one time it had been broken up into apartments (2 downstairs and 1 upstairs) so there were doors in places that were no longer needed and walls that had to be knocked down. There was a huge pit under the house that housed this ancient looking furnace you got to through a trapdoor in the middle of the dining room. My dad had to buy dirt and gravel to fill it in. All the floors and windows had to be replaced. The roof had to be torn off and fixed. The upstairs was full of trash and old toys. They bought the house in the early 90's and it looked like something out of 60's time warp. Hideous, orange shag carpet. Basically, the house was a mess.

Once the downstairs was more or less complete (minus flooring) we moved in. My bedroom was in the back part of the house which had originally been the living room to one of the apartments. Where my bedroom window was used to be a door to the outside. Of course, I was kind of scared living in a new house. There were strange noises and weird shadows. I always felt like someone was watching me. I started having bouts of insomnia. For a time, my mom actually had to come and stay in my room with me until I fell asleep because I would be afraid something would get me if I closed my eyes. I experienced episodes of night terrors where I would wake up screaming. It was just a terrible time for me.

Fast forward about 10 years (this is the experience that I've been thinking about so much lately). I was about 16 years old. I was still very uncomfortable in the house. When I would lie down at night, I would hear what sounded like someone walking around over my head. I saw things out of the corner of my eye. I would hear my name being called when no one else was home. I was afraid to go to sleep because I would experience terrifying sleep paralysis. I don't know if I would be dreaming at the time or what but sometimes when it happened I would think there was a man in my room looking at me.

One particular night, I was sitting up in my room watching Jay Leno with my dog. He was about half-way through his monologue when my dog, who had been asleep, suddenly stood up on the bed and looked toward my window. All the hair on her back stood up and she actually bared her teeth which she never did. When she did that, I suddenly had the most anxious feeling that I had to get out of the room. It was like the air had all been sucked out of it or something.

I stood up to leave and as I did, I looked back toward the window and there was a blob. It really didn't have much of a shape; it was just this big thing. The best way that I can describe it is that it looked like someone had taken a handful of glitter and tossed it up in the air but instead of it falling, it just sort of hung there in sort of a clear goo. I have never seen anything like it before in my life and I haven't seen anything like it since. I only watched it for a few seconds before I freaked out and ran out of my room screaming.

My question is this, has anyone seen anything similar to this?

What could it have been?

Was it a ghost?

I'm not the only person to see something in my old bedroom. My cousin stayed there for sometime after I moved out and had a really scary experience that still freaks him out. I've also started to experience some strange things here where I live now. I'm just hoping someone may be able to shed some light.

Thanks!

Other hauntings by Sway

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Indiana

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Sway, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

scrapmetalkitten (306 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-18)
That sounds like a spirit that hadn't quite formed a definite shape yet, or maybe it couldn't at the time. Like a partial materialization. I have seen "blobs" before. It was just a way for that spirit to show itself to you.
Sway (2 stories) (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-07)
This house is actually located in Lebanon, about 30 miles northwest of Indy. My timeline was a little off. I was talking to my mom last night. We actually moved in there in 88 which would have made me 7 years old. I lived there until 99 when I graduated highschool. My parents have since divorced and my mom still lives there alone and she's had a couple experiences. She's actually thinking about selling it and getting an apartment because she gets the creeps staying there by herself.

Could it have been a shadow person? I've seen some shadowy figures in there particularly upstairs and in the back utility room. My cousin saw a full blown apparition in my room while he was staying there. The thing I saw really didn't fit the description of what I've read about shadow people. It was more like a gigantic blob of glittery gelatin. It was probably about the width of a fridge and about 6 feet tall. Like I said, I haven't seen anything like it before and nothing like it since.
michellelovesghosts (5 stories) (50 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-07)
Shadow people are everywhere, they arent always mean, mostly lost, confused and wandering
greenpondmike (1 stories) (82 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-06)
Sway, I might know a little about that house if is the same one I lived in up until I was almost 4 years old. Is it in Hessville/hammond between alabama avenue and kennedy avenue? If you don't want to get too personal with the information I'll understand. If that is the house, my parents and sister was living there when I was born (1965) and we moved out in 1969.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: