You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: A Regretful Poltergeist

Real Ghost Stories

A Regretful Poltergeist

 

First, a little background information:

I've been clairvoyant since the age of two, when I would be visited by my grandparents at night. I've been hearing voices and experiencing paranormal phenomena for years in my house, and the spirits seem to just want attention. They've never done anything to harm my family or scare us (intentionally.) There are several ghosts in the house, a man and a woman, but they don't bother with my family much and... I actually quite like them. They seem very friendly and are really just...there. They've never bothered anyone. I think they might be the couple who owned this house when it was first built, because they died about fifteen years ago and this is when the hauntings started. But this story isn't really about them.

What I'm worried about is another spirit that has been periodically showing up since I turned fifteen and became very depressed, and was put on medication. The man and woman do not physically move objects, but this one opens doors and turns things on and off, and once took a photo off the wall and threw it on my bed. I saw it happen. The activity with this one seems to be centered in my bedroom and the attic, while the other spirits are content to stay in the living area and basement. My cats have growled at nothing in my room and one of them actually tried attacking my closet door the other day, then ran out of the room like something shooed it away. I looked away, heard something like a grunt or moan, and then the closet door was wide open and the room was freezing. That door is very heavy and even I have trouble opening it sometimes, so the cat couldn't have done it. Doorknobs have also been shaken violently from the outside, and we have a security system in our house and there was no sign that anyone had tried to break in. I've woken up because I've felt myself being shaken awake, I always see a dark shape in my room, and then it leaves. I hear knocking on the wall next to my bed and hear someone running around in my room. It seems to enjoy being around me. Also, the attic gives people a very uneasy feeling and I've heard something walking around up there and moving things around, and the only way to get up there is a putting a ladder up. And this has been in the middle of the night, when I've been fully awake. The attic is right above my room, so this makes sense.

I've never tried to make contact with this thing before what I am about to describe, which I think is a good thing seeing as though it could be quite nasty at times. I just have this awful gut feeling that although it has never tried to hurt me, it's very angry. I'm assuming from this behavior that it's a poltergeist.

So on the night of April 8th, there was a huge thunderstorm in my area that kept me awake until the very early morning hours of April 9th. I'm lying in bed in my completely dark room, trying to fall asleep, and all of the sudden I see a light in the corner. It was like a misty gray light, and it wasn't lightning, a streetlight, car headlights, anything. There's no way for light from outside to get into that corner because no windows are nearby or are at an angle in which to do so. So I sat up and I put on my glasses and tried to see if maybe it was my phone or my iPod or something like that. It wasn't, they both turned out to be on the nightstand next to my bed. So I was like "What is that, then?" and the room went from pretty warm and comfortable to cold and... Just weird. The air felt heavy. It felt like something had come in and was restless, like how if a friend is stressed out, they give off a kind of aura and you can tell something's wrong. I don't know why I said this, but I looked into the darkness and just said "I'm sorry!" It got really still in the whole room. Then I heard this really loud sigh coming from the end of my bed. It sounded like the sigh someone would make while resting after a long day. I was wide awake, so it's not like I imagined it. I heard it as clear as day and it was definitely human, and it didn't sound like any of my family members. So I'm sitting up in bed just looking, and I feel a weight on the end of the bed, like someone sat down. I can see a shadow there but I'm still telling myself it was only that. I didn't want to turn on the light just yet, even though I was getting nervous.

That's when whatever it was reached out and gently touched my leg. I felt it and saw the shadow shift. I was so scared at that point that I couldn't move, and it did it a few more times, in almost a curious way. It felt like a kid, not an adult. A teenager, someone my age, and it didn't really feel female at all. This thing just kept prodding me on my legs and back like I was a toy and this feeling was so strong that I actually squeezed my eyes shut and almost cried. I haven't been that scared in a long time. It didn't feel kind, but not malevolent either. I knew it was the poltergeist almost immediately. Then it all stopped, and I was so mentally drained that I fell asleep. I did turn on the light though, and nothing was there, but the room remained cold the rest of the night, like whatever it was didn't leave but was just observing. I was actually scared to come home from school after that.

I'm in my room now and I don't sense anything unusual, but staying in here has made me nervous ever since. A ghost touching me like that was actually one of my worst fears as a child. I am 100% sure it is not a demon, I get the strong feeling that it is a male, not too much older than I am (17) that had a very painful life and died, and is very angry, but...remorseful. Lost. It seems more sad than violent. I tried recording an EVP with a tape recorder and asked him his name, where he came from, and why he's here, but I don't think I got anything. I feel like he didn't live here, but that he just... Sought me out for some reason. Like he wants something from me. I admit that sometimes I am afraid of him, but I want to feel bad for him for some reason.

I'm sorry this is so long, but I felt the need to share this. I'd like some help, if possible, about what I could do to maybe help this spirit or myself, to deal with this. Thank you for reading.

Other hauntings by mindflower

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, mindflower, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

mindflower (2 stories) (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-21)
Thank you for all of the helpful comments, sorry it took me so long to respond.

I just assumed it was a poltergeist because of the activity it was doing, but now that I have read jazzeyjay and Vellyth's comments, a "lost soul" makes much more sense. Thank you both! I knew poltergeists were mostly non-human, but I was confused and a little bit scared about what was happening, so please excuse the error.

I tried talking with this spirit in the early AM hours of Tuesday (4/20) because I sensed he was around, and I basically told him he was welcome to stay and a few other things to try and help him be at peace. Last night was the first night I had a uneventful night in a long time. I don't know if he's gone, but the uneasy feeling I always sense in my room has seriously weakened.
Vellyth1990 (2 stories) (17 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-15)
Your ghost is just a lost soul. There's something about you that seems to give him a connection to you. Try conversing with him. Even if he doesn't reply.Don't be afraid, he just wants someone to share his time with.
jazzeyjay (3 stories) (215 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-14)
mindflower: I don't know why you are calling this lost soul a Poltergeist, but it's not. If you can sense that this is a teenage boy, maybe around your age, then he may have died unexpectantly or even by his own hands and maybe he feels now it was a mistake. It's truly sad when someone is trapped over here and hasn't crossed on over to the other side. You can rest assure something is keeping him here on this side. It could be a number of things, you never know someone could have murdered him and he's trying to let someone know. There are so many different scenarios that you can look at, but one thing is for sure. This is not a Poltergeist!

Take care of yourself!
Sundaydrive (49 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-14)
I wouldn't say it was a polterguist, mainly because the Middle Tennessee Paranormal Society says that they are "A non-human spirit entity which literally means 'noisy ghost' but is usually more malicious and destructive than ghosts of dead human beings. Traditional poltergeists activities are thumping and banging, levitating or the moving of objects, stone throwing and starting fires. It is thought that poltergeist activity in some instances may be brought on subconsciously by an adolescent agent or females under the age of 25."
Did you READ that? A non-human entity. That's what a poltergeist is. Non-human. That's kind of scary.
But this guy is a guy. Tell him to move on. Maybe help him out with a few tips, like moonshadow and Lucas said.
moonshadow (3 stories) (146 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-14)
you should definetley pray for this spirit as I feel he is just sad and needs to be sent into the light where he can be at peace he might just be affraid to cross over as some spirits are, as they are affraid they will be judged harshley which dosent happened you should reassure him of this and tell him you can help him go into the light where he will meet all his loved ones and be at peace I feel that he wants to move on. I hope everything works out for you and this poor lost soul take care let me know what happens. May the light of the great spirit shine upon you allways and this lost soul...
Lucas (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-14)
Hey,
Your story sounds little like mine in some aspects. Good ways to make it leave is to just ask it to, you need to take control of the situation change your nerves into confidence and have a strong mind best way to overcome and put it in its place.

Lucs
brenttan (64 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-14)
You may try praying for this lost soul, saying "Lord Jesus, help this poor soul. Surround him with your love and peace and comforting and help him on to the other side. Amen."
Georgeisalegend (35 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-14)
wow... What if that ghost was like a sexual predator or something... Maybe he takes a liking to you?
hope4ever (4 stories) (75 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-14)
I can easily say that I too am able to speak and see spirits. I feel that it is male and around 17, as you said. You might try the name of Johnthan. See if that gets anything.

I think he was just courious, I don't think he ment any harm.

Thanks for sharing the memory. 😁

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: