You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: My Cat Toffee

Real Ghost Stories

My Cat Toffee

 

I have never experienced any supernatural things in my life before.

My Cat, Toffee, died on the 17th April 2010, she had to be put down. I found her outside a shopping mall; she was a stray. I felt sorry for her so I took her home - thinking I could take her to an Animal Shelter the next day. A few days later, I realized she wasn't normal. She was always sleeping and had no appetite... After I took her to the vet, I found out she had some type of Hernia and her blood test results were abnormal. The vet gave me antibiotics for a week - and she became much more alive and playful. After a week however, she started being ill again - so this time I took her to another Vet and they did an X-ray. They found out she had a collapsed lung, 2 types of Hernia, and FIP. FIP (Feline infectious peritonitis) is a fatal feline disease that isn't curable. So basically, I had no choice but to put her down. Even if they operated on her, it would be unlikely that she would survive because of FIP.

I've grown up with cats all my life... But I have never been so attached to one in this way before. We were so close and she always relied on me. When she died, I became so depressed. I've never experienced a "Family Death" before, so it shocked me. I started praying everyday, hoping she was okay and understood why I had to put her to sleep. Basically, I was desperate to "believe" that there was an afterlife, and not just a shallow view of her passing away.

Three days after her death, at around 4:30 am, I woke up to go to the bathroom. As I got back into bed, I felt something jump onto my quilt and walk a few steps. (It was her normal everyday routine) I sat up straight away but I didn't see anything. I was so shocked and surprised and I kept thinking to myself that it WAS her coming to visit me - I couldn't fall back to sleep after that. A few hours later, around 6 am, I was still lying in my bed - I started hearing scratching noises coming from my bathroom. (She used to sleep there) That noise was the exact same noise as what she used to do after she ate. I used to have newspapers under her food bowl and after she finished eating, she would "scratch" the paper and try and cover her bowl... I heard the noise 3 - 4 times. It was so real.

The next night, I woke up again around 5am - and this time I heard her "using the litter tray". I don't have any of her belongings in my bathroom anymore... There is no paper, or litter tray, food etc.

On the third night, I didn't experience anything until I woke up. I have a soft toy frog collection on some shelves. A few of them had been "knocked" off; I guess in the middle of the night. When my mum came into the room to wake me up, she too heard the "scratching" noise of the newspaper.

Sometimes I feel like I'm going nuts - as if I'm trying to believe it's her. I really don't know... I always pray at night now and wish she's safe and happy. I have a small box next to my bed with all her toys and pictures.

I wasn't a religious type of person. I always go through the scientific explanations first, but honestly, I can't find the answer...

Do you think it's her?

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, woody_wrinkles, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

ghostlysmile (guest)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-30)
This story is very touchig I love animals, and I have pet dog too, she came to say goodbye and tell you that she is ok. Please if you have its photo please mail it to me at ananushka121001 [at] gmail.com

Ghostlysmile
KatieChan (3 stories) (63 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-27)
I'm so sorry about what happened to your cat. I learned that sometimes your pet comes back to you just to let you know that they are ok. Good luck! 😳
EmeraldAngel (4 stories) (319 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-17)
I'm so sorry for your pet kitty, its good you pray for her and I send blessings to your caring companion who loved and cared for you on her last days in this world. Katherine ❤ ❤
Pauline329 (3 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-01)
Hi woody wrinkles,

Firstly, may I thank you for taking in the stray cat when nobody else would. You gave her love and care in her final days. I understand only too well the feelings of guilt when a pet you have loved is put to sleep, but I think Toffee is letting you know that she is ok.

As an animal lover, I would like to share this website with you. A little poem about our beloved pets after they pass away. Hope you enjoy it.
RIP Toffee xx
Http://www.rainbowbridge.com/poem.htm
vulcan10 (5 stories) (332 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-01)
I agree with IBghosts, even though you didn't have the cat for very long your probably the only one it ever felt love from. Do you have any more pets? Remember toffee with love but get you another sidekick.
woody_wrinkles (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-01)
Thank you Everyone for all your support and comments.😊
Zander, she hasn't visited me in my dreams yet.

Ibelieveinghosts (6 stories) (63 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-01)
You were possibly the only person who has ever shown this cat unconditional love in his whole life, so his spirit is determined to stay near you. You took this cat in when nobody else would & you tried your best to help him & this cat was grateful. So grateful that he doesn't want to leave your side, even in death. There's no stronger love than that! Consider yourself lucky to have such a loving feline friend! ❤
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-30)
I'm very sorry about your loss. It's her. She wants you to know that she is ok. Speaking from personal experience, our animal companions never truly leave us. Sometines they stick around for awhile after they are no longer physically present. I think they are trying to ease our grief by letting us know that they love us, and they are ok, and that life continues, even after death.
It's hard to let go. When she shows up again, talk to her. Tell her how much she meant to you, how much you loved her. Thank her for the time you had together, and if you feel strong enough, tell her that you are ok, and she can move on to the Summerland.
In time, you will look at her toys and smile, remembering the good times. The pain of loss will eventually grow less, and you can look back on your time with her with joy. There will be moments when you will remember the loss and cry, I won't lie about that, but eventually the good times will be what you remember the most.
Sometimes, at the most unexpected moments, these friends who have gone on stop by for a visit. If that should happen to you at some point, know that it is one of the greatest gifts you could receive.
Brightest blessings, JuuJuu.
elculver (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-29)
Yes, it could definitely be her. My one cat passed away 3 years ago, and to this day, I sometimes hear jumping off beds and running through the halls upstairs, just like he would always do when he was alive.
MissHill (6 stories) (67 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-29)
It seems that she was grateful for you taking her in and doing the right thing and putting her down, she could have lasted for many more weeks like that and with out the food and shelter, so it was better for her when she was there and she doesn't want to leave, and has to let you know she is there.
sparkle25 (2 stories) (6 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-29)
From what I've experienced with cats I don't think your imagination was playing tricks on you. If humans can reveal themselves after they've passed then so can cats/dogs.
narcissa (4 stories) (77 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-29)
your story is breathtaking... Although I will say that it was most likely your imagination or your fervent longing for your kitten that was manifesting itself in this way, I'd still like to believe that it was indeed your beloved little kitty. ❤ 😊
brenttan (64 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-29)
I am touched by the amount of pure love between you and your beloved departed kitty. I believe it was her as she loves you so much! Take comfort, that your prayers for her avail much! My heartfelt sympathies for how you feel. God bless you. And the soul of the cat.
Zander (7 stories) (141 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-29)
I have lost many cats over many years. They always let me know that they are all right and in the afterlife. Much like cats seem to be able to sense our moods when they are alive, they seem to know who is worried about them after they have died. Your poor little cat was grateful for your taking her in and trying to help her and for giving her a place where she was cared for in her last days. Sadly, it sounds like when you found her she was already on her last legs. Have you seen her in a dream as well, yet?
TheUnknown (1 stories) (192 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-29)
Somethings can't possibly leave the Earth because of love.[grins]

Could have been a residual haunting, but the answer is for you to answer, to find what is really happening.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: