You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: An Omnipresent Evil?

Real Ghost Stories

An Omnipresent Evil?

 

Spooky Times in Exeter - An omnipresent Evil?

This is going back a few years, so I can't remember exact dates and times.

Between 1999 and 2003 I was studying at the University of Exeter, Devon, England. In my second year I got a new flat mate who had a part time job at a local pub (The Red Cow, now demolished) which was very old and reported to be haunted. I became good friends with my new flat mate and started drinking at the Red Cow as well. Although I've always had a keen interest in the paranormal and was aware of the pubs reputation I never felt anything 'spiritual' while in the pub myself.

One evening I chose to get on with an assignment, rather than go drinking. I remember our apartment was very empty that night and I felt quite unsettled. With the work done and no one else in the flat I had an early night. I've never been able to fall asleep quickly and always spend time just lying in bed with my own thoughts waiting for sleep to come. This night was no different, but for the first time since childhood my thoughts turned to 'what hides in the dark' and 'things that go bump in the night'. It wasn't long before I was actually scared, and a little while after that I decided to open my door and let the light in from the hallway outside my room. Feeling quite ridiculous, I went back to bed. Five minutes later my flat mate came home from his shift at the pub, saw my door was open, assumed I was still up and said, quite loudly, "There's something really strange going on tonight... You believe in ghosts, don't you?" At that moment came the strange onset of two emotions; terror that something spooky really was happening and relief that I was no longer alone. I said "It has been a strange night, what's happened to you? I didn't expect you back for a while - you usually have a lock-in".

My flat mate started to tell me his account of events he had witnessed that evening. The bar staff and regulars had all been feeling quite lethargic and it had been a quiet night at the pub - not unusual for a week-night - but was unusual was lots of new people coming to a drink at the pub, and all leaving very quickly. Towards the end of the night the pub landlord was sitting at one end of the bar when he felt, what he thought was his girlfriend, stroke his back. A moment later she appeared from the other end of the bar and the landlord, wondering who had touched him, turned to see who was behind him and was startled to find no one there. At that moment one of the customers became incredibly cold, put the hood of his sweat-shirt up and huddled up in his seat, when questioned he said he didn't feel very well and that all of a sudden had become very cold, and terrified of 'something'. Minutes later my flat mate decided to walk home, he reported a very silent, still dark night.

The walk home from the pub leads through some dark alley ways at first, and then a long a main road, with the university campus on one side and a wooded valley on the other. The whole way home he felt that there was someone/something following and watching him. He saw no one. A hundred yards further up the road he saw a woman walking on the other side of the road a fair way in front of him. A minute or so later she just started running, as if very scared and something was giving chase. When my flat mate reached the same point on the road, the terror become too much for him too and he started to run home. On nearing home my flat mate called one of his friends who he knew to be a devout Christian, the call was made to a land-line phone that did not have 'caller display', yet he knew who was calling and answered the phone "Hey, [name], what's wrong?". His friend comforted my flat mate for the remainder of the walk home.

After hearing this story we stayed up and chatted for a while to try to take our minds off the strange evening we had had. We had both sensed a huge evil presence over the town that night, and we weren't the only two.

The next day when I went to my lectures there were several groups of people all talking about what a startling evening they had had. Some had had nightmares; other's sleep paralysis but most just said they had had an 'unsettled' night.

I can't remember the exact date, but it was a winter month with the long nights - and no, it wasn't October 31st - I remember going to an All Hallow's Eve Party that night. The night I have reported here was some time after that.

I would be really interested to know of any other similar accounts, if this story sounds familiar or if anything has been reported

Other hauntings by Northie

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Northie, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

blizzard43 (40 posts)
-2
14 years ago (2010-08-24)
at northie yeah I do a well I don't know when so let's just say jesus times there was before the devil the architecht now if you have ever played ghost busters the vidio game you will know that shandor is the architect not in real life butas I was saying before the devil there was the archicect well the architect controled hell and the underworld no they are not the same well after the devil took over hell the architect took over the under world where all the ghosts are now but the architectsometimes sends them out to the earthonly the ones at his command he then after 7 of his ghosts come back (witch can take years) he then goes out for one night and either terrerises people or uses the power the devil gave him they were once friendsand uses it over a whole town
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-17)
Very strange indeed I am also thinking something to do with negative activity or maybe that particular date this occured on was significant to the history of the town. The feeling of terror, being watched and feeling sick does not sound to good and to cover such an area must be something very powerfull, I am very interested to know what really went on that night.

Thanks for sharing.

Dan
BrandonCR (5 stories) (64 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-16)
Actually Northie I have experienced something similar, not to such a vast degree, but something similar just the same. It was winter, probly around 2005, and my cousin and I were coming back from a friends house, he lived with me at the time. Once we turned onto Nockamixon Hill rd. We both became very aware of something that didn't seem right, it got very cold in the car and it was like the heaters suddenly started kicking out cold air. Wwe crested the hill and we both saw 3 green lights paralel to the ground probably 25 feet from the ground they were roughly shaped like this "oOo" we were suddenly stricken with terror and could not move until the lights vanished, about a minute later we arrived at home. The next day my father told us he thought he heard a strange sound outside, but he was too frightened to go see what it was. A neighbor of mine said the same thing. I too have always wondered what it could be exactly.
Pinkzilla (35 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-16)
That is so bizzare... I would love to know what causes something like that. Hopefully someone on the site will have some answers.

:0)
Northie (2 stories) (9 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-16)
[at] blizzard43,
I am aware of portals, but had always thought that they were fairly static in space and time. I have not heard of the 'Architect' that you talk of - do you have any further information?

[at] Dan_Paranormal,
Yes, a winter's night and experianced for one night only. The weather was dry, and had been for a few days. The night was dark, very dark - like thick cloud cover, but high up - there were no stars, no moon and no orange glow of the streetlights on the underneath of the clouds. Certainly not common conditions
blizzard43 (40 posts)
-1
14 years ago (2010-08-16)
😨 I have heard abought that only once this means where that thingstarted its rounds is a portal you know whata portal is right? Well just in case a portol is were spirets enter our world in the case you have there the architect is coming this is bad very very bad
Dan_Paranormal (1 stories) (74 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-16)
Wow I haven't heard about anything like this before, there's a first time for everything though I guess. It's almost as if a large field of negative energy was active over your part of Exeter at that time. I wonder but it was a winter night, what was the weather like? It's been said that types of weather like rain can make energies more prominant.

I suppose another possibility could be about electromagnetism in the atmosphere that night also causing more prominant boughts of negative energy since this did only happen on one night? This really is the first time I've heard anything like this myself. Thanks for sharing a very interesting story.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: