You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Eerie Crime

Real Ghost Stories

Eerie Crime

 

About four months before I moved out of 1444 Broadway, around March of 1991, I was heading home after visiting my mother. It was an unseasonably warm night for March, so walking home was a pleasure. It was about a quarter to eleven at night, and I planned to stop at home long enough to check my mail, change clothes, and head back out.

I turned onto Broadway at about Fourteenth Street, heading for my building near Fifteenth, when I noticed two police cruisers in front of the place. My apartment had been broken into twice in the past, so I quickened my pace, and approached one of the officers, whom I knew. He was standing by the front door of the TV repair shop on the first floor, which was gaping open.

Officer S____ asked me how long the shop had been closed; I told him a little over two years at that point, since the owner, my landlord, had been placed in a nursing home and died. His son had been there since, but that had been several months previous. By this time, we'd entered the shop, and I looked around-nothing seemed any different from when I'd last been inside, except for two sets of footprints in the dust, belonging to the other two officers, who'd found the store open. Everything the owner had left behind was, as far as I could tell, still in place, covered with dust.

The officer then asked me if I knew of any entrances to the shop other than the front one and the two in the rear, which I answered in the negative... There was a door directly in the back, and a rear door leading from outside to the basement. We checked these, and found them both chained shut and padlocked, the chains festooned with cobwebs.

Officer S____said to me, "I hate these weird ones; how'ya going to write 'em up?", as he gestured to the open front door with his flashlight, the door that was plainly broken... From the INSIDE.

Other hauntings by alandhopewell

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, alandhopewell, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Vanessanda (3 stories) (226 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-03)
I enjoyed your previous story "Who was she". It was one of those truly "feel good" stories.

Alan you keep saying that all paranormal activity is demonic and that is your prerogative, of course. You say that the dead go to Heaven or Hell and stay there. How then do you explain your experiences here and your angel in your last story?
Pendragon (6 stories) (296 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-28)
Aland - hate to say it, but for there to be a heaven and a hell, there has to be a limbo for departed souls to wait in whilst they wait to be judged. Whatever mischief they get I to while they wait is their business.

I'm going to agree with Devious and Lou - I think the original owner scared a would-be-theif away by braking the glass towards them. Demons would have just made a mess of the place.

Regards,
Penny❤
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-28)
alandhopewell,
I'm going with Lou and DeviousAngel on this one, it makes sense to me.

Jav 😉
johntravis28 (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-26)
Sorry Alan, sounds like plain and simple vandalism to me...
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-26)
I have to agree with Lou. Perhaps someone was going to break in, and the owner came out to greet him. Imagine the fear on the intruder's face! 😆 Maybe someone got their just desserts.
alandhopewell (28 stories) (145 posts)
-4
13 years ago (2011-05-25)
My personal opinion is that it was demonic activity; as a Christian, I believe that the dead go to one of two places, i.e. Heaven or Hell, and they do not return, except for the saved, who will return with Christ.
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-25)
Alan,

I think the owner has been taking care of his shop
Ever since it closed. I think someone might have tried breaking in from the outside, and the shopkeeper stopped the crime from the inside.

Lou
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-25)
oh like it! Creepy yet gripping.
Im guessing nothing else happened there of the paranormal type
Stll thanks for posting 😁
Carl
Kristy_Glick (3 stories) (29 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-25)
Creepy! I have to wonder how often cops respond to disturbances not caused by corporeal perps!
aiafaith1 (guest)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-25)
Hmmm...I didn't exactly know what to think of this story. Don't get me wrong, it is very interesting. When you said it was broken from the inside, that's what put me on edge. Do you think it was the landlord? Why would he choose to come back two years after his death? Thanks.

AF1 ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: