You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: My Aunt's Place, The Room And The Mirror

Real Ghost Stories

My Aunt's Place, The Room And The Mirror

 

This story was written last year. Sorry for the delayed post.

We were together for a family gathering at my Aunt's house. We were about 12 people there and we decided to sit in the entertainment area, because it was the biggest room. We were all sitting on the couches just chatting away waiting for the food to finish cooking.

At one point my Dad was the only man amongst us ladies (the others went to the garage) and he was just sitting there listening to us girls cackle away. I was sitting next to my mother with my back towards the kitchen area and had a full view of the whole room. I was listening to my Aunt talking and my other Aunts giving commentary on what she was saying when to my right, right next to me, I hear this male voice mumble. The mumbling sounded almost like "Oh, hey!" It sounded like whoever made the noise was surprized to see me.

I looked around the room, especially behind me and there was no one there. No male except my Dad who was sitting on the opposite side of the room waiting for my Uncle to return. There was no way that it could have been the sound of voices echoing from the garage, because the garage is a distance away. Plus, the noise came from my right which is on the opposite side from the garage.

The second story I'm posting here is about the spare bedroom/study we have in our house. When I'm home alone I always leave the light to that room switched on. Reason: When the light is off you can clearly see shapes moving around in there. The shapes are about human height, but there's no distinct shape to it. When I get up to go to the bathroom at night I avoid looking into that room. I know there's something there. When we close the door it makes this tap tap tap sound even though the window in that room is always closed. At one point I put a bag of dog food against it just to make it stop.

I don't like mirrors period! I had all the mirrors in my room removed and while they were still there I had them covered with a cloth or turned with the mirror side down. For some reason I also don't want my cats to look in the mirrors. I get a horrible feeling just thinking about it. I have the need to protect them from the mirrors... Or what's behind it. Crazy, hey? Anyway, the only mirrors we have in the house is the one in the bathroom and the one in the living room. I use the one in the bathroom to do my make-up and give myself a once over in the large one in the living room.

The reason I don't like mirrors is, because if I spend too long a time in front of any mirror I feel like something is looking back at me. It's me in the mirror, but something else is looking through the eyes of my reflection. It creeps me out and I end up just looking down while brushing my teeth.

I can use this morning (2011-10-25) as an example. When I went to the mirror in the living room I checked to see if my hair, make-up and clothing is alright and presentable. Somehow when I looked at my face a second time it looked gaunt and my eyes were so deep set and dark. My cheek bones were protruding and my face looked almost triangular. I felt like the person standing there wasn't me. I turned my back to the mirror, grabbed my handbag and bolted for the front door.

Other hauntings by Shlain

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Shlain, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Amihet (5 stories) (94 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-22)
Jeepers, I am also not fond of mirrors especially at night time. Well, we all have another thing in common being afraid of mirrors. At times when I look in the mirror I feel like something is going to jump out at me.
Shlain (13 stories) (246 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-03)
Hey there!

Crestal, I have seen the Mirrors movies, but it's not the same kind of thing. I feel that something is looking back at me. This is my feelings though. Some people may think it's completely silly, but I know a few people who share this with me.

Bluerose, I'm so glad you said that. The first time I felt like this I shared the experience with my former neighbour. She told me to cover my mirrors at night as they can be portals. She also told me she believes not to let a newborn baby look into a mirror as the child may see the devil and be affected negatively for life. This is her beliefs, I repeat.

Ivory, maybe the mirror has a spirit attached. Always trust your first gut instinct.

Triden, I know the feeling! It's like someone is about to touch you on the shoulder. That's how palpable the feeling is.
triden07 (70 stories) (279 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-23)
Hi Shlain
I have to say I share your creeps when it comes to the mirror. Not so much in my room. But in my bathroom, if you stand in front of the basin, you have the bath on your left, the previous owners had put mirrors up there, cut out in the shape of 2 boats and 2 jumping dolphins. And to your right you have the toilet and then the big mirror. When I stand there, and turn to face the cut out mirrors, with my back to the big one, I always have a feeling that I'm being watched from behind.
ivory (9 stories) (77 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-11)
hi great experience! I can relate with what you feel about mirrors. We also own this huge mirror that my mom bought from an old hotel. Its the main design of our living room as it covers an entire wall. Its really nice to look out but at night it creeps me out. I never look at it whenever I pass by because I got this impression in my mind that I will see a lady staring back at me,.
Bluerose19 (3 stories) (164 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-11)
I think the paranoia for mirror is a natural thing and even according to Vaastu Shastra (Indian equivalent for Feng Shui), mirrors are never to be positioned where you can see yourself directly from bed, and its always good to keep a mirror covered with a cloth (like curtain) when not being used.

Honestly speaking, even I myself am scared of looking at mirror (for whatever reason) after midnight- the fear of seeing something/someone behind me in the reflection! 😨
Crestal126 (74 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-10)
Wow that's creepy, specially the last bit. Ok have you seen any " mirrior " movies? If so that could bet the reason. I am also scared of mirriors. It's because. 1) I watched a mirrior movie, and 2) I feel like I'll see something else in the mirrior, and 3) I would scare myself by looking almost at my face but on a tile. Then my face would evolve into scary, and different faces!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: