You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Poltergeists / Physical Manifestations :: Andy

Real Ghost Stories

Andy

 

This is a shorter version of what happened to me, you can read the original version here. I have dealt with "things that go bump in the night" most my life, making we always wonder if I was a bit of a strange child, but never did I dream I would live day to day with an entity. It can be just as spooky and un-nerving as all the movies you have seen, but it can also be very stressful. You just have to keep laughing and get through it. Easy to say now, years later.

We moved into a huge house on Twenty Third Street in a small farming town not far from San Jose just before Christmas, 1998. I lived there alone with three children while their father commuted to San Jose, coming home on the weekends.

The first night was filled with the new house exploration, the usual moving and settling in activities, keeping me heavily occupied both day and night. I knew there was a hidden cubbyhole in the kitchen cupboards, only two feet tall, two feet deep, one foot wide and about six feet off the ground. What puzzled us so greatly was the latch to prevent access to the hidden area was INSIDE the cupboard door, meaning you had to be INSIDE the cupboard in order to latch it. Talk about adding thoughts to your imagination!

I was going back and forth through the house, three thousand square feet of house built in a lovely 1920 French door style with large, wandering rooms and hallways, walk in closets, surprise turns and windows that led to nowhere. I absolutely love the Winchester Mystery House, so this suited me perfectly. The children were asleep and I was sorting, room to room. Each time I passed the cupboard, the door was open. I would close it, continue on my way, only to pass by later and again, to find it open. Again. I tried ever so hard to ignore the creepy feeling crawling up both arms to my neck. It kept occurring to me that I knew absolutely no one within a hundred miles. I was alone, with my three small children.

Since Christmas was rapidly approaching, I took the time when the children were asleep to wrap presents. I kept the wrapping papers in a very heavy, large, old trunk, opening at the top. When the trunk was opened, the top rested backwards heavily against the metal retaining straps. The balance of the lid was so that if the trunk had been empty, it would almost be in danger of tipping over backwards. I was in the process of removing rolls of paper from the trunk and had just withdrawn my hand when the lid came crashing closed and the animals ran from the room. It took my breath away and all remaining logical thoughts from my brain. I must have sat for several minutes, stunned, yearning for a logical explanation. The animals didn't return for quite some time.

Further into the night, I was setting up the dining room table for meals, placing quilted placemats down for the family. One of the dog's two inch toy balls came rolling towards me, ever so slowly, ever so steadily, making the softest whispering sound as it gently rolled on the highly polished wooden floor. Not a sound could be heard except for the ball's whisper. When the ball stopped, the house was filled with silence. Eerie uncomfortable silence. The parrot was silent, watching the ball. The dogs were motionless, looking at me and the ball with puzzled expressions. I tried to convince myself this was normal. There was some explanation. I picked it up, placing it on the placemat in front of me. I stood there for the longest time and watched it. Nothing. Not sound, no movement. It HAD to have been moved by an animal I did not notice. Okay, heart beat back to normal. Things to do. Just as I started to turn away, the ball actually leaped into the air about a half inch, rolled off the table and back unto the floor. I watched it, in shocked silence as it made its way to the dining room wall where it stopped and rested, silent, finished.

Other hauntings by ladyannne

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ladyannne, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Sundaydrive (49 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-03-22)
Even the animals showed no reaction? That almost sounds like they can get as used to activity as people can. Most of the stories on here talk about the pets going crazy or running for cover. I'll have to think twice about saying "it can't be" now, cause maybe it is just "normal" to them.
ladyannne (11 stories) (91 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-09-16)
Thank you, Buff, (hope that is an acceptable nickname for thee) for posting your story! Isn't it grand to know someone else experienced the same thing?
I still have that ball, too, popped into my Childhood Memory box. With the multitude of foreclosures going on here, I actually watch for the house to be added to the list. Gawd, I loved that house.
whitebuffalo (guest)
+1
16 years ago (2008-09-14)
Oh! Finally! Someone I can actually SHARE an experience with!
I have no clue how I missed so many of your stories. I will have to go check them out!
Something VERY similar happened to me, and in fact, I just posted to a separate story about it.
When my son was around two years old he used to hang out in the kitchen with me while I prepared meals. You know how it is, I would glance at him to make sure he and his ball were a safe distance away as I puttered around in the room with him.
He would sit at the doorway of the kitchen and roll his ball in the direction of the cupboards and repeat this action. When he would giggle, I would look at him and notice that it was because the ball was coming back to him.
I thought he was laughing at physics. I honestly thought he was bouncing the ball up against the cupboard, and it was coming back to him and he thought it was funny.
After a few months of this going on, my daughter decided to try and roll the ball for him and came into the room to play. He never did roll her the ball, no matter how much she tried to coax him. She even reached out a few times, snatched the ball and rolled it to her brother, but he would JUST roll it at the cupboard.
Finally, she called my attention to the ball. As we watched (her sitting on the floor, and I standing at the stove) we noticed that the ball only made it as far as three foot away from the cupboard, stopped, paused, and then returned to him.
After watching him and the ball for several minutes, I sent my daughter out to get one of his trucks. She set it on the floor, and encouraged her brother to play with it instead.
Imagine how surprised and excited we were to see that the truck stop in nearly the same spot, pause and again was sent back to him!
Wow!
Thank you for this story. Nice to know someone else has had a very similar experience.
Brownie09 (6 stories) (293 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-08-23)
Wow, that was an interesting story, I read your longer one also, I have to say you have been through a lot of experiences. As for the little boy it sounds like he was a prankster and loved to pull pranks. ❤It is weird though that no one wanted to talk to you about the house. Thanks for posting even though I am a little late.
~Vicki 😊
ladyannne (11 stories) (91 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-14)
In updating pages, I have added a few pictures of our house to the story, worth a giggle or two. Http://www.packrat-pro.com/ghost/andy.htm
ladyannne (11 stories) (91 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-11)
Thanks for all your generous comments and good wishes! I do still drive by the house but have never stopped. Too many bad memories, I guess, outweigh the good ones.

Cycles of life! I am now back to serious hunting, spent the weekend at Brookdale Lodge, headed towards Preston Castle this weekend. Everything is written up on packrat-pro.com/ghost/GHindex.htm, but I will try and place shorter versions here. Amazing how life works out.
Miss_Stacey (2 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-02-08)
Wow. Lots of mystery in that town. I had to go and read your longer version... 😊 Glad you got out of that place okay minus a husband.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-09-19)
I enjoyed this posting so that I went to your original and purused around your web site. You certainly have led a fascinating life.

God Bless!
Annie (202 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-22)
Athena, click on the link in the above post and read the ENTIRE story. I promise you won't be bored and it will answer your question regarding "Andy".

This was truly one of the best. Kudos, Anne.
Athena (9 stories) (222 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-22)
Hi Anne, Are you still living in the house? Why is your story named "Andy"? Take Care! Athena
CearysAwesome (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-22)
That's really weird how the latch is on the inside. Why would you put it there in the first place? You cannot use it that way. Weird.

Ceary
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-08-22)
Hi Anne! That was a great story! I can bet you were spooked, I would be. Animals are really sensitive to stuff like that, aren't they. Thanks for sharing your tale. 😁
lian01 (3 stories) (65 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-08-22)
The rolling ball sends shivers up my spine and I didn't even witness it! It's almost like an invitation to play, like when a dog nudges a ball towards you. I'm going to go and read the full length story, looking forward to it
Abby (710 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-22)
Dear Anne,

My, your original version is quite informative and interesting. I appreciate you taking the time to write a shorter version of it and submit it to this site, so myself and others could read it and share in your ghostly experience.

Thanks, --Abby
Annie (202 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-22)
Well, how much fun is that? Ha. I can't wait to hear what happens next. Keep us posted.
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-21)
Anne thank you so much for sharing your story with us. I get the impression that you are going to be sharing more with us in the future.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: