You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Who Were the Drake's Really?

Real Ghost Stories

Who Were the Drake's Really?

 

Since El Coyote was visited by TSPRGHOSTS, we've had many guests come in and inquire about our 'residents'. You get used to that after a while. Most people love the stories that we've experienced and want to hear more but nothing prepared me for what a contractor and his wife told me after they asked about what we've experienced.

Two towns over from us is Chester, NJ. You can feel its history by driving through it. The buildings are old and immaculately preserved. Chester was first established on the intersection of two major Lenape Indian trails. These trails were used for hundreds of years before Chester became 'official' in 1799.

In 1810, Mr. Zephania Drake and his son Jacob erected the The Brick House. It was used as a stagecoach stop when mining had begun and immigrants came into work.

Over the next century or so, mining cooled and Chester became a sleepy little town. The Brick House closed its rooms and became a restaurant only. The Publik House. Craft shops popped up next to Taylor's Ice Cream, Halloween parades, antiques etc.

Over the last year give or take, it had been closed. Here's where the contractor comes in. He asks about Coyote and dances the issue. Then he tells me and Billy. Apparently, the inn was in horrible disrepair. The new owners wanted to raze it, the historical society wanted to save it. It led to late hours, after closing with just him, his wife, and the electrician to figure out whether the building could be saved or not.

One night, they went upstairs to where the rooms used to be. Digging in, they found oil lamps, candle sconces and a bible with Zephania's name in it. Old stuff! Beds and all. His wife quoted me the psalm from the bible but I can't remember it. When they came back downstairs, all the tables in the dining room were upset. Chairs were knocked over, silverware was strewn about. Doors were opened and the dining rooms were freezing.

Despite that, (I'm sure they were more than intrigued) they decided to stay on the job. Late night again, the contractor was alone reviewing whatever contractors review and he heard footsteps upstairs. He went to investigate but as he hit the stairs he felt something move straight through him. He told us he lost his breath. It was like being hit in the stomach with a bat. He told us of voices he heard when when they passed through him, a girl's voice. There were no words, just a female pitch and then nausea.

After that, he called it quits. I guess they found someone else to restore it. It's there today although the decor is starker and attempting to be more chic. Good news! They reopened the rooms.

So? Who were the Drake's? I've HEARD that Mr. D junior was not such a gentleman. I HEARD of his likings for young lithuanian immigrant girls that came to work for him. I've HEARD of one dying in his employ. However, despite recent research I could not find any evidence of such happenings.

Indian trails? Maybe burial grounds? Murdered girls? Just once I would love to know the stories behind these places. I plan on staying there soon. Maybe one day my nonbeliever hubby will get it.

Other hauntings by gbeach

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New Jersey

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, gbeach, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
13 years ago (2011-04-18)
NewJersey etc: Please don't post your web address in the comments... There is a way to post it on your profile... We frown upon SPAM in the comment section... Please read the "Comments Guidelines" at the bottom of the page... Most of your posts will sent to the void... Please avoid this making this mistake again...
NewJerseyRuggieroParanormal (4 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-04-18)
Hi,

My brother and I have a paranormal group and we would love to investigate your claims. Perhaps we can provide you with some evidence?
Please let me know if you're are interested. We have a family based group in which everyone is over 30. We are very respectful and very thorough.
Our website is
Www.newjerseyruggieroparanormalgroup.com
My name is John and I look forward to hearing from you.
Take care
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-02-29)
Gbeach, I'll be looking forward to more stories from you. Take care and hope to have you back soon. 😊
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-09-10)
what a fascinating story! I had never heard of any of the hitory so thank you for sharing... I am intrigued 😁

God Bless!
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-09-09)
Hey G, thanks for the follow on story. If I am ever in your neck of the woods I will have to stop in and see the Coyote and its residents and now the newest place to visit the publik house. Sounds like it could be an interesting time.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: