You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: There Was Something In The Tree That Night

Real Ghost Stories

There Was Something In The Tree That Night

 

Living by the coast I grew up spending a lot of time on the beach. Summers and holidays zipped by with hours of swimming. One particular Sunday in May I decided to stay in the sun the entire day and that earned me a pretty nasty sunburn. Swimming and moving out of the house for the following week was forbidden. Much to my grief I was under house arrest.

The next day my parents decided to spend the evening by the pool along with some of the their friends and took my brother along. I was thirteen and my mom thought I was old enough to stay on my own for a few hours. She promised to be back by sunset. I was okay being alone in the house as long as there was daylight. The big sprawling house would turn into a nightmare once dusk turned into night.

There was a huge neem tree just outside the kitchen. For some reason it would instill fear in me. I switched on every possible light downstairs and waited over-anxiously for my parents to return home. I walked to kitchen to get a drink of water. It was a sultry summer night, not a hint of breeze. I heard the neem tree shaking violently. I left my drink on the counter and rushed outside. My next door neighbours were out as well and the street I lived on was empty. Chanting prayers in my head I walked gingerly to the streetlight.

I slowly turned towards the incinerator. Earlier in the evening I put out every single spark there was by chucking fistfuls of sand into the grid. A few seconds after staring at the incinerator it suddenly was alight. The flames danced 4 feet high. Now I was really scared. It was close to 8 o'clock, the fire had been put out at 5:30. I stared in disbelief at the fire, watching the flames grow higher and shrink and then grow higher again. I thought the garage wall would turn black by the way the fire kissed the walls. As mysteriously as the fire was started, it disappeared. There was no trace of it. I convinced myself it was my imagination.

The prayers did not seem to be working. I tried distracting my mind. I was hoping for some summer breeze but the night was as still as a church mouse. My eyes stared ahead of me at the entrance of the sprawling mansion I hated. My heart was pounding painfully against my ribcage. My mind was racing faster than a locomotive.

I heard the rustling of leaves as though branches were being shaken rather violently. The night was still not showing any signs of any wisps of wind. I, very reluctantly, turned my head towards the neem tree. The tree was still but I could still hear the leaves rustling. I turn my head upwards and I saw a small shadowy figure on the top of the tree shaking the tree with all its might. The shadow turned my way. By this time I was so frightened I didn't know whether I wanted to stay rooted to the spot or run away. My heart felt like it would explode. I had goosebumps all over my body. A chill ran down my spine.

At the top of the road, heading towards me was a pair of headlights. I was going to flag the vehicle down and make whoever it was in it, get out and wait with me until my parents returned home. The vehicle stopped in front of me. To my utmost relief it was my father's jeep that halted. My mom was shocked to see me standing on the road. She walked over to me and noticed I was trembling. I told her what had happened. She was aware of my experiences from the past and she was sympathetic.

The next morning I rushed to the incinerator to inspect it inch by inch. Equipped with my trusty magnifying glass, I studied the entire grid diligently. There were no marks on the wall, the garbage had been turned to ashes.

I spoke to my parents' maids when they came to work. They told me that all neem trees are owned by jinns. I pestered my dad to cut the neem tree down and finally he agreed after much debating, haggling and cajoling. That was the end of that experience and the jinn. I still don't know for sure what was out there that night and I probably never will find out.

Other hauntings by Charmsdes

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Charmsdes, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-03-16)
Hello Charmsdes, in India Neem trees are supposed to be quite holy and no evil spirit would come near the neem tree and that if in a house, there is a neem tree, then definitely there won't be any evil spirit.

Secondly, you said that there was an incinerator. Where was it? Inside the house or outside? Well, again, in our country, he incinerators are hard to find and that too in summers.

I go with Mack on this. Finding it difficult to believe. No offence meant. Just my opinion.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
Mhannerism (2 stories) (82 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-03-16)
Hello Charms,

That was creepy. Some of my questions were asked by Mack. So I'm only waiting for a response.

It's a good thing that the jinns didn't move into your house because you destroyed their home.

Take care,
Mhanne ❤
Macknorton (5 stories) (646 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-03-15)
Hi Charmsdes

That's an intriguing read and it must have been a very unsettling experience! However, some parts of the experience confuse me, do you mind I ask you some questions to clarify a few points?

How long had this tree instilled great fear in you? And do you have any theories as to why it did?

If the tree terrified you, and then it was shaking violently, can I ask why would you go outside to investigate? I would imagine the best option for you at that time would be to stay put, in the house in another room, well away from the tree?

The fire in the incinerator could well have started up again on it's own accord, then simply died away once the rubbish it was fueling off had burned away.

You suggested that the flames were simply an hallucination / your imagination. Are you prone to such vivid and real hallucinations?

After the hallucination, you describe your sheer terror, as if you are having a panic attack, yet you continued to stay outside near the tree. Why was that? Are you able to explain as that doesn't sound right.

This shadow in the tree, how can you be sure that it was not simply a hallucination just like the fire?

With all due respect, to me it sounds like a thirteen year old child was left alone, and her extremely vivid imagination got the better of her, on this occasion 😉

Regards

Mack

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: