You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Voices I Hear

Real Ghost Stories

The Voices I Hear

 

Recently, a comment from a story I wrote got me to thinking. Some people have said the experiences myself and my daughter had might be both of us, and that got me to thinking about an experience I have had ever since I have been a preteen. I think I was 11 or 12 when this started, and at night I hear voices. I usually can't make out individual voices or words. At times I have caught a word or a phrase. I even had this happen in a hospital after I delivered my girls. I had a couple of "visitors," but that's its own story. I thought it might have been the painkiller they gave me (had to have a c-section), but I never reacted to it before.

I used to get upset when it started and my dad wouldn't let me turn the TV all the way off. I thought I heard the TV down the hall. I had such a hard time getting to sleep. All the talking on the TV. I was so irritated the TV was so loud. Now, I don't think it was the TV, and truth be told that TV was so low I wouldn't have been able to hear it down the hall. I liked to stay at other people's houses because many times there weren't voices. Sometimes there would be, but many times it was quiet. As an adult with my own home, all the TVs and radios would be off, and I still heard the voices. I would get up at night in the first home my husband and I had, and I'd wander down the hall, through the kitchen, dining room, loop through the living room and back to the bedroom. Sometimes it sounded like a radio. Before anyone suggests neighbors, we lived in the middle of no where. We could see our neighbor's houses across the field where the cows grazed.

One day I happened to be watching a TV show with a woman who claimed to be a psychic/medium. I remember this so clearly because I was running on my treadmill while watching and I stopped when a woman got up and asked the medium this question: She said she heard voices at night. The medium told her she most likely had some medium or psychic abilities of her own. She could choose to listen or ask them to leave. I want to note that I found the medium entertaining and hadn't decided I fully believed those "abilities." However, after my experiment I am going to detail here, I had a little more faith. The next time I heard the voices, I whispered, "I am tired, please leave me alone." They stopped. The next night they were back, I repeated what I had done. They stopped. I still hear voices at night sometimes. For the most part I do a really good job of ignoring them. I've only had to whisper to them to go away maybe a couple of times the past year. Sometimes I have to ask twice. Sometimes they will quiet down, and then they start up, and I have to repeat, "Please go away tonight. I am not listening." A few times I have been woken with what I think might be their talking because there will be a really loud, usually 1-2 word sound. I catch snippets like, "mom, brother, or death." Those are words I can recall hearing. Sleeping with a fan and a noisy hubby helps. I still get up sometimes and wander the house, but only once have I ever found the TV still on. I thought sometimes it was my daughter's radio and maybe the sound was traveling through the heating vents, but in our Louisiana home the heating vents were in the ceiling and when I got by her room the radio wasn't on or it was so quiet it was a whisper. My house now doesn't have heating vents (it's radiant floor heat), and a/c vents are in the ceiling. It's the same story where the radio isn't on. I also think back to my parent's home (I have written about it on here) and the experiences I had there. Maybe there is something and I passed it on to my youngest daughter. I am not done writing about her and some more of her experiences. Her experiences still give me chills to this day and she is 15 now.

I also hear the voices during the day if it is really quiet. It's always been this way, even when I was a preteen in our first house. I figured it was just me going slightly crazy (but I think all kids think they are a little nutty). I think I just hear them mostly at night because there are less distractions. I also want to note, I don't always hear them. I can be in the house alone, and it can be completely quiet and I hear nothing. I can also be home alone, and think family has gotten home because I will hear talking. Then, I will discover I am still home alone when I go to greet my family. Occasionally, I will go through a bad insomnia spell. I have heard the voices at 3 am if I give up sleeping and get up to use the computer or work on a crochet project. I think this might be why I like having the TV on during the day even if nothing is on. If there's a distraction, I don't hear them. Even if I stop and concentrate I won't hear them as long as the TV is on. In order for me to hear them, they can't all talk at once, they need to slow down what they are saying, and they need to be louder. So, if any of my experiences have to do with me, this is a snapshot of what I deal with. I haven't really tried to communicate with them other than asking them to stop talking or leave me alone. I am not sure I'd want to open myself up to what could happen if there really is "something there."

Other hauntings by Kest

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Louisiana

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Kest, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Pinksweety (28 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-08-06)
Edonojie word I too hear voices at night while I try to fall asleep... Latest I heard was a male voice telling me not to hurry in konkani... Next to my bed. But I dnt hear anything during daytime.
KatelynC (12 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-01-22)
yes

5 times

No certain color

And yes I have

I had evil spirit I will talk about later on page
Kest (12 stories) (55 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-01-11)
AugustaM Your comment intrigues me, but I am unsure at this time what I have that I feel would give me inner strength.

KatelynC I think I have some control over them because if I tell them to be quiet, they will usually quiet down. It's rare I have to ask twice. I am curious if you have experience with this yourself though.

Rook - I always feel privileged when you read my story:)
Kest (12 stories) (55 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-01-11)
I really like reading everyone's comments to this. I hadn't heard the voices in a while, but a couple of nights ago, they woke me up around 2 a.m. It's odd that I am woken, but a few times I have managed to be woken from them. This time it was a woman. Sounded like just one woman. She was very happy. She kept laughing. Then she'd talk (I couldn't hear her well enough to decipher what she was saying) and she'd laugh again. I am not really scared by these voices I guess because I've never found them to be threatening. There's really only once I got scared by one, but that's a different story I need to write. I almost got out of bed to go search the house and turn off the TV, but from my room I can tell there's no TV on. I pretty much just rolled over and went back to sleep. I thought of this conversation though when I heard her and for just a second, I kind of wanted to know what she was so happy about.
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-01-05)
Since they don't seem to be going away, maybe a bit of cautious experimentation might be in order. First, it would probably be a good idea to do a but not research and have some practice with shielding yourself. There are printed resources as well as online items - also if there are any spiritualist churches in your area, (not speaking as a member, I've just had passing yet intriguing encounters with a few folks who are) they tend to be quite open and could lend guidance. Keep items around you to remind you of that inner strength and confidence whether its crystals, candles, charms, amulets, religious items, pictures of loved ones, special keepsakes... Etc - what the item actually is is far less important than what it means to you. Once you are confident in your own ability to protect yourself - you will be in a better position for any sort of investigation. At that time, if you feel comfortable with doing so, perhaps ask some of the questions that have been nagging you and see what you can learn about your own abilities. Never forget that you are always stronger than you think ❤ trust yourself and do what comes naturally ❤
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2017-12-31)
KatelynC,

Do the candles need to be a certain color?

Do you need to repeat the statement? If so, how many times?

Do you need to focus on something as you recite the words? If so, what should the visualization be of?

Have YOU ever used this method? If so could you please share your experience here with us?

Respectfully,

Rook
KatelynC (12 posts)
-1
6 years ago (2017-12-31)
if u would like them to go away say

"As the power I have, go away and don't come back"

With candles all around u ❤ your welcome
Kest (12 stories) (55 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2017-12-22)
Edonojie-Word - If I knew who the voices were coming from, I might be willing to communicate. The scary part is not knowing. I know what my deceased grandmother sounded like when she was alive. If I heard her, I'd talk to her (in fact, sometimes I talk to her because at times she feels so close). I don't want to communicate when I don't know who it could be. Plus, it's too may voices at one time. I do sometimes just catch one or two, but those times are rare, and I can't make out what they say. I really hesitate to open myself to communication when I don't know what I'd be opening myself to.

Elrond- I highly suggest nicely asking them to be quiet if you hear them. I don't ask often anymore because like I mentioned, I can usually ignore them. I have been woken only a few times at night by a loud voice, but those times are rare. That has startled me at first because I'm coming from a deep sleep, and at first I am confused. I don't see much wrong with asking nicely for them to quiet down. I used to even hear them in my dorm room when I was in college. It's a very unsettling feeling to always be looking for who the voice is coming from but not find anyone. At least, I've stopped looking now.
Elrond (3 stories) (38 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2017-12-21)
Greetings Kest,
I too heard voices every night in a townhouse that I lived in for just over 20 years. The "conversations" would be intermittent, but rarely a night passed without voices. I also would hear them during the day as well and like you would keep the television or music on to drown them out. Sometimes two male voices, sometimes a man and a woman's voice or a group of voices. I could only make out a few words or a short phrase at any time. I thought at first it was people on the street until I moved my bed and could look out the window to see no one at all. The unit next door was sometimes vacant, yet I could still hear the voices. I knew they were not in my head because earplugs would give me the quiet that I craved, as would a loud fan, like you have described. I wish I had thought to ask them to please be quiet as you did. In my current home, I have only heard voices once or twice, to my relief. Thanks for sharing your story. It's nice to know I am in good company.
Edonojie-Word (3 posts)
-1
6 years ago (2017-12-20)
Kest,you Hear Your Brother's Voice Or People You Are Related To;of A Truth, its Them...
The Truth Is, the Ear Of Your Soul Is Opened To Them, they Know It, so They Try To Communicate.
These People Love You So Much That They Cant Just Let You, but They Respect Your Decision When You Shove Them, they Leave-yet They Cant Just Let You Go. Theres A Strong Blood Bond/attachment Between You And Them, so they Keep On Connecting To You.
If You Think About Anyone, and They Have Feelings For You, their Spirit Would Reach You, either In Dreams Or Through Voices If Your Ear Is Spiritually Opened.
I Prefer You Communicate With Them, ask Them Questions, you Would Enjoy It;but Know Your Boundaries I.E Even If They Make Decisions For You, be Convince It Is Correct, although They Wont Harm You.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: