You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Shadow People :: The Giant Shadow

Real Ghost Stories

The Giant Shadow

 

We were staying at our aunt's place in a hilly village in Rizal for a time. It was very near the City, but the place is completely suburban. It was a rather sleepy village, where most people we know are retirees. There were also unoccupied houses, one of which is right across ours.

We stayed in a big room overlooking the front of the house. There were two arched ungated openings, one of which is a garage to the right wing, while the other one is where our room is facing. You could see the road. When the window is closed, you can see the shadows of people coming in because there was a lamp post across the street. Beside the lamp post was a huge mango tree. The tree was inside the yard of a huge unoccupied house.

One night, I was reading a book and cannot sleep. I'm guilty of reading even if the lights are already turned off. There was a dim light right where I sleep and it's enough for me to sneak a book and read 😂. I was seven at that time.

One night, I finished a book and still could not sleep. I'm not sure what time it was but judging by the household all fast asleep, it probably was already well past ten.

I looked across me to the closed windows and something caught my eye. Framed on the large windows was somewhat a human frame. I thought at first it was my uncle by the front yard, because my uncle was a stocky fellow. It moved, shifted a bit and I could see it has an untrimmed, shaggy hair silhouetted with its head. My uncle, being a former military man, got a properly trimmed hair. I could see only the upper torso and its head.

I watched the shadow and I got an impression that as it moves, the ground shook a bit. I looked closely and it was totally a huge shadow. I thought maybe the lamp post across the street magnified its size but as I observed and recall, no shadow of a normal human being would ever be projected that large!

It walks around and I thought it was trying to peer through the window. But I never felt afraid. I watched it walked and to my surprise, I saw the shadow took a step towards the mango tree and hauled itself up in one sweeping motion and disappeared. Weird, was all I could think of.

I tried to sleep. I woke up the next morning and had breakfast as usual. But when it was time to play out, I noticed there were people clearing the bushes and fixing the house across the street. I overhear them talking about cutting down the giant tree.

As time passes, I thought maybe the shadow lived in that tree and knew that it's time there was up. The new occupant of the house were rather lively people and the place will surely cease to be quiet and desolate. Maybe it was saying goodbye. I never felt afraid but rather sad.

Other hauntings by Amor

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Philippines

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Amor, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-02-20)
Very interesting! I also had many strange experiences as a child. I think it's because children are wide open; Open to the supernatural, energy, etc. I'm not sure what the shadow man in your story was doing or the purpose, but shadow men/women have always fascinated me as I've encountered a few. The only conclusion I can come to is maybe you just happened to catch that moment. Maybe there isn't a reason, maybe it's because children are open to the supernatural. Just my thoughts.
Mazzmarach (2 stories) (78 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-02-19)
Ahoy Amor,

Sounds like a surreal experience. And with all things surreal, it's very hard to determine what's real and what's not. What were you reading that night? A hyperactive kid's imagination coupled with moody lighting can make you see things.

For my own two cents, there are two things that could've happened: the mundane thing would be lady-glow's theory; the supernatural thing would be a Kapre saying "goodbye" as you put it.

My 2 cents,
Mazz
Amor (5 stories) (64 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-02-18)
Thank you for reading, Lady-glow. It's a good analysis.

But it's not possible as the source of light was the constant one that was from the lamp post. There was no other artificial lighting. If a person stands outside on a spot where it would cast shadow by the window, it was usually very small in comparison. About a quarter of that humongous shadow.

If they were up the mango tree instead of our archway, I would not be able to see it at all because there was a four-lane road between our house and the mango tree. The shadow was standing right in front of our house.

Also the mango tree does not bear fruit. Maybe one of the reasons people would just cut it down.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-02-17)
Amor - reading your description of the shadow makes me wonder if a man with a flash light climbed up the tree to feast on some delicious mangoes.

You know the size of a shadow depends of the proximity of an object to a source of light.
If a guy had left a torch on the ground in order to illuminate the tree, his shadow would have looked humongous on the distance.

Did you look through the window?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: