You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Demons / Possessions / Exorcisms :: Kapre?

Real Ghost Stories

Kapre?

 

In the apartment where I used to live, townhouse Apartment, my room was located at the left side of the house. I have one big window, outside there's one big old tree. When you look outside you will see other houses but the old tree blocked most of the views. I choose that room because of that tree because I like the smell of the green leaves and hearing singing birds in the morning.

One night it all changed into something I never anticipated. I was preparing myself to sleep when I have this thought of closing the window that night. I always want the window open because I like the cold fresh air but since I'm already enjoying the comfort of my bed I just ignored the feeling and closed my eyes. A few minutes later as I was just starting to fall asleep I heard a weird voice, it is like someone clearing its throat, and it was very lucid and eerie.

I was alarmed, asked myself "What is that? A dog? There's no dog in this compound (not allowed) and the voice was too big for a dog, a horse? Who will bring a horse to an apartment? It's not possible, oh maybe something from the neighbor? Then what kind of sound would it be?"... Don't know what to think. It woke my veins and blood up so I listened very carefully if I will hear it again. Then there it goes, it's like a short deep hum of an old big person this time, (I can't really explain the exact sound of it) but still deep voice of something really big. I'm all alone in my room and I was stunned.

I still try to make a sense out of it, thinking oh maybe it is just something. But the third time was more terrifying for it became louder and closer to my window. My bed was located at the middle of the window where I can easily peep at that big tree and moon whenever I like... It's a bad idea after all. Too terrified to glance at whatever it is so I just cover myself with my blanket frozen until I fall asleep.

The next morning I told my sister and friends (close neighbors) about it because I want to know if they also heard something like that. They all said it's the "Kapre" who lives in that big tree. There was a time Ryl my friend, was at the laundry room when she smell a tobacco smoke coming from that tree. The laundry room was an open area at the back of every apartment where the tenant could place and dry their clothes from direct sunlight it doesn't have elevated walls so you could easily see the tree. She thought who would light dead grasses in this time of night? She immediately left the room when she remembers the big tree.

Since then I keep my windows closed before it gets dark... A few months later the big old tree was cut down. I don't know if I will believe about Kapre but the voice really scared my whole being.

For those who's not familiar with Kapre:

Kapre is a creature that could be characterized as a tree demon, but with more human characteristics. It is described as being a tall (7 to 9 ft), brown, hairy male with a beard. Kapres are normally described as smoking a big tobacco pipe, whose strong smell would attract human attention. (From Wikipedia)

Other hauntings by senseye

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Philippines

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, senseye, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Yohanchan_MCT (8 posts)
+2
2 years ago (2022-07-24)
Hi! How are you? I hope you are doing well. I've read your story and I loved it so much. My guess is that it is a Kapre cause you mentioned humming, usually kapres are just chill or like to make fun and tease people.

I want to ask permission though if it's alright that I read your story for my YouTube channel. Of course, I will surely credit the story to you and will also be happy to plug your channel or any account you want me to. I hope that's alright? Do let me know your thoughts. Rest assured, I WON'T post or use your story without consent. Thank you and stay safe always!
Gayatrishiva (3 stories) (121 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-12-31)
sounds like indian version of muni which also drinks liquor and lits tabacco pipe and stays in tree but this one possess females.
VAmplifier (9 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-07-12)
Maybe it was a Tikbalang or Aswang or your traditional Evil Kapre 😆
epoy_cute0207 (4 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2010-12-07)
no! Kapres are not bad,, no no no
There are 1 of the creatures that help human people they said that if a kapre give something to you, you must accept it because it will give you a fortune or you can heal people...
Believe me cause my grandfather have that experience but he did not accept it
maharlika (1 stories) (5 posts)
+4
15 years ago (2008-10-29)
I have similar Kapre experiences in our province in Bulacan. My brother and I used to climb to the roof of our house after school. He saw a large dark man in our neighbors old mango three twice. And one time he even dreamed about the kapre and told me that he doesn't like it when our neighbors call him "Kapre." He said they are offended by the term. When talking about such entities we refer to them now as "Kaibigan" which is Tagalog for friend, as my brother was instructed in his dream.
Another time, my auntie was up on the third floor balcony, hanging clothes when she saw a big round orange glowing object within the shadows of the tree. When she came closer she saw that it was the tip of a giant tobacco.
Charlemagne (1 stories) (21 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-09)
Yes, Kapres are reknowned in our country, almost everyone knows about them...

Btw, I don't think that they're evil. My mother (grew up in the province of Bohol) would always tell me that back in their house in the province, a Kapre would occasionally enter their house, but she never told me what it did when it did.

My maternal grandfather, according to my Mom, is very sensitive when it comes to the paranormal... I believe that means that his "third-eye" is open and that his experiences have made this "gift" grow even stronger. I'd like to share the stories my Mom shared with me, regarding his father's experiences back in the province. Experiences with St. Elmo's fire (ball that chased my grandpa in the forest), a floating coffin with a candle on top of it, a huge black pig the size of a cow that blocked him one night when he was walking along a road in the province, and other stories like spirits challenging him when he visits other people's houses which have spirits living in them. Btw, he would usually not enter a house if the spirit who challenged him was "sinister" or if he believed that is was stronger than him, because he feared it would "possess" him.

Thanks for the story!
senseye (4 stories) (32 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-09)
yes I agree with you twilightfan I don't believe they are evil, I think it just happened that his home is in that tree and I was there, heard him and that's it. He can hurt me if he wanted but he didnt, Thank God!

But I also heard that when you made them angry they can do something really terrible to a person. Like what happened to my uncle, the Kapre followed him everywhere he goes, made him sick for a month, pointing to a corner of the house telling everybody where the Kapre was... Its a very sad story
twilightfan (1 stories) (8 posts)
+2
16 years ago (2008-07-01)
I understand why you where frightened but I believe that the Kapra wasn't evil just playing a prank. Because if it was evil it might have caused harm. And thanks for your story. 😁 😆 ❤
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
+2
16 years ago (2008-07-01)
Wow I never heard of a Kapre but it sounds very interesting. Thanks for sharring this story with us. This tree demon does sound a little scary. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
senseye (4 stories) (32 posts)
+2
16 years ago (2008-07-01)
no Kim I never seen one and I don't think I want to huhuhu the voice was already too scary what more if I see one! Yikes! I might die hahaha

Frawin thank you for reading, yes poor him lucky me hahaha! I started to enjoy the open windows again:)

God Bless everybody!
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-30)
I feel sorry for that poor Kapre, somebody cut his tree down and now he's homeless. 😜
Just kidding around, I enjoyed your story and thank you for sharing it with us. I love to hear the stories of other cultures.

FRAWIN 😊
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
+2
16 years ago (2008-06-30)
Wow! I have never heard of a Kapre before this story! I found it absolutely fascinating!

Did you ever see this creature?

God Bless!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: