You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Newport Naval War College

Real Ghost Stories

Newport Naval War College

 

The Naval War College was established on Coasters Harbor Island in October of 1884. It was originally located in a recently vacated public asylum but has expanded into 4 interconnected buildings.

The original building now houses the international students attending courses at the collage and to hear watch standers tell the story, one of the creepiest. This is my experience with a full bodied apparition:

June 2005, late night on a Saturday night (0315, I know because I logged this event in the watch log.) I was on the quarterdeck (front desk) as Officer of the Deck (OOD) while my Petty Officer of the Watch (POOW) was out on patrol. He had just entered Luce Hall (the original building of the College).

I was monitoring the entryway cameras and I saw a man, dressed in a full dress officer uniform (early 1900's style). He even wore the hat and had a long beard. As the shock of seeing him wore off I realized that this individual had entered in from a door that is locked overnight and on week-ends without setting off the alarm, that it was 0315 (315am for those non-military time folks) and that he was wearing a winter uniform and we were already wearing our summer whites.

I called the roving patrol, he was on the same floor as this door and he headed right for it. Before long I saw him on the camera, but he had not seen or heard anybody enter the building or walking the hallway. He had felt a cold breeze pass him in the hall, but had seen and heard nothing. I had him complete his patrol and rejoin me on the quarterdeck.

I had pulled up the camera footage of this man entering the building and it was my POOW who noticed something I hadn't noticed before. The door the man had entered from never opened, at least not on camera. We watched this many, many times and sure enough this apparition walks right through the door and up the hallway leaving the cameras view with-in about 4-5 steps.

I wish I could have made a copy of this footage, but of course I couldn't. One of the hazards of being enlisted, the equipment is not yours nor is anything you record on watch.

Respectfully,

Rook

Other hauntings by rookdygin

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Rhode Island

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, rookdygin, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

allesgute154 (3 stories) (254 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-22)
This one takes spine-chilling a notch higher. Loved the narrative Rook. Keep writing:)
Kecoughtan (1 stories) (211 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-15)
You are absolutely correct about the beards. I bet at least three-quarters of the officers at that time sported some sort of facial hair--including some rather outrageous mustaches. As a gauge I just consulted the official portaits of the US Presidents at the White House website. Every president from U.S.Grant through W.H.Taft (except McKinley) had some sort of facial hair. Thanks.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-15)
Kecoughtan,

The shoulder boards on the jacket were those of a Captian of the United States Navy.

I did look at pictures from the time period that the uniform seemed to fit but there were a lot of officers during that time period (and even now) that went to the War College. These pictures were of the graduating classes in which the instructors were included in as well. All I can say is that there were sure a lot of early 1900 Naval Officers that wore long beards. 😲 So I was unable to determine who he may have been.

I do get the feeling, even had it then, that this was a residual haunting, just a replay of past events that I was fortunate enough to see. I do so however wish I had been able to copy that piece of video, but alas, rules and regulations... (sigh)

Respectfully,

Rook
Kecoughtan (1 stories) (211 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-14)
Were you able to discern this officer's rank? I'm guessing he must have been an instructor or administrator at the Naval War College. Did you look through a history or yearbooks to see if he resembled any of the instructors?
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-14)
Wow what an interesting experience! I have to say that there are times that instruments can catch spirits and people can't see them and there are times when people see spirits but the instruments don't catch them. Its the best I can explain 😆.But indeed I liked reading this story. Thanks again. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-13)
As always thanks for the comments.

DeviousAngel,

Either never relieved or possibly one of the Founders who put so much of himself into the place that he still walks the halls.

Rhodes68,

All total I saw him take about 8 or 9 steps. As I was scanning the monitors movement caught my attention and I saw him enter the building and walk down the hallway. This was towards my roving patrol who neither heard or saw anything, he just felt a cold breeze pass him in the hall. I wish I had a picture of his face when he saw the recorded footage. Even more so, my face, when he pointed out that the door never opened.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-12)
Another spine chilling encounter rook-what a pleasure to have you back!

So you were the only one seeing him "live" as he was walking in. I can imagine your shock when you realised you should have seen the door opening before you saw the man walk in!

How long did he stay in sight before you lost him again?
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-12)
Wow, that's crazy... Maybe someone who hasn't passed over because they're still on duty? I feel bad for him... Someone should relieve him!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: