You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Lurking In The Shadows

Real Ghost Stories

Lurking In The Shadows

 

I decided to share my story here, as I hope recounting it might offer me some clarity.

I have been, ever since a young age, rather empathic in regard to my surroundings. I feel that all natural places have a definite energy about them, which always affects my state of mind as well. This also relates to something I can only describe as a feeling I get whenever spirits are close by. The atmosphere always seems to change, making my hair stand on end. I start glancing over my shoulders, catching glimpses of movement and figures in the shadows. The effects become more pronounced the more I pay attention to them.

These experiences might be one of the reasons I have been lead to learn a form of shamanism, which has been helpful in maintaining control of the situation and myself. Energy practices and songs have helped me calm myself and my surroundings in the lesser cases. I'll tell some of the more significant cases here.

My brother is an atheist through and through, he is very secular and believes in absolutely nothing supernatural, yet he shares some of my observations about an old house we used to live in as children. It was a large, old house that most definitely had a history. I always found it and some of the surrounding barn-buildings very unnerving. The grounds themselves (with all the fields and forests) always felt rather tranquil and positive, but the buildings had this threatening air about them. There were some rooms in particular that my brother and I still remember as having been extremely frightening.

I remember hating the place at night, and whenever I had to walk through the dark house I would flick on light switches as I went, just to make sure I was never caught in the dark there. All the strange things happened during the night, for example my constant feeling of being followed by something. The figure that followed me was the worst, as it would shadow me through the house then remains a constant presence at my bedroom door. Another ghost I witnessed was when I looked through my window one night, and saw a dark figure cross the backyard, disappearing into the orchard.

I even witnessed some physical phenomena there, which included rocking chairs rocking by themselves, door handles turning (I always left the room before the doors would open) and toys suddenly scattering. I'm not including any noises, since it was the old kind of house that always has a life of its own, creaking and groaning constantly. The stranger happenings taught me not to fear the autumn storms or branches knocking on the walls and windows.

I'd better cut this story here, as I have enough stories from there to write a book about. I'll continue this with a second part later, where I'll recount some more recent things that have happened. I hope you enjoyed reading and please drop comments, since I love reading them.

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Liliel, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

InTheNight (2 stories) (34 posts)
+1
3 years ago (2021-06-19)
I also live in finland.

Our house is otherwise normal, but when I need to go into the cellar sauna because our shower is in there, I get paranoid about the two other doors on the hallway before the dressing room door. The left one is two rooms of wood storage, and the right one has the heating room, beyond which is a storage space and the house's backdoor. They're often open and it gives me paranoia. I also have a weird feeling of not being alone whenever I close my eyes in the shower, which I obviously need to keep doing or i'll get soap into my eyes.

Then there's the attic. We have 3 attics in a rintamamiestalo, one up at the top where nobody goes, and two side attics that go through the whole story in both directions in the opposite sides of the house. The right one is accessed through the level at the top of the stairs that, due to the story's blueprint, forms a triangle with the doors of my room and my brothers' room. The left one is accessed through my room. I also have another door, which leads to a really small room i'm using as a personal storage. There's nothing weird about them per se, but due to my paranoia attacks i've put furniture in front of them (and in front of my closet). The attic itself is normal and I can see all the way to the house's outer wall at the other side. On the right, there is a shelf which obscures the other end of the house, which is only meters away from the door. You can still go in there, but I never have and mom says there's nothing in there. However, she also says that she's scared to go in there and it has always given her an intense, unexplained feeling of dread.
Liliel (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-04)
faerielike - I'd probably call it finnish neo-shamanism really, because I base it on a lot of old finnish myths and such, but it also involves general modern day shaman/pagan practices.
The lighter daily stuff that I'm doing atm is really just visualisations and meditation things. Most of the things I practice come from finnish online-communities, so those won't do you much good, but I'm sure there are good english ones too.

One of the things I'm trying to make a habit of is writing down my dreams every time I wake up, it really helps remember all dreams better and also works the imagination. Another quick thing I like doing every now and then is rooting yourself, imagining yourself as having tree roots that extend into the ground, that you can then use to expell negative energy and to draw more energy into yourself. I find it very calming.
faerielike (15 stories) (268 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-02)
I had meant to ask you, what is this shamanism you practice?
I am curious on what I could do to calm myself in the presence of spirits, being empathic myself. Besides, shamanism is something that has always intrigued me yet, I haven't really looked into.
Can you point me in the right direction? Are there any good books you could suggest?
Thanks! 😊 ❤
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-01)
Wow I am creeped out and intrigued at the same time. Can't wait to read your next story. Thank you for sharing. 😊
WhiteSnowHaku (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-28)
That is very scary I am looking foreward to the second part I am planning to write true ghost experiences myself on Monday. I love reading true ghost experiences especially yours since you have had so many.
DannyBruise (9 stories) (125 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-28)
I can seriously relate to the sense that something is not right when you go into a room or a place. I've always been able to sense things. The incredible part is that when I've been with someone and have felt the negative vibes, whoever I'm with, can suddenly feel it too once I express it.
Love hearing about people from you like myself that has a sense other than our physical world.
Can hardly wait to hear more from you.
Liliel (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-27)
Thanks for the nice comments everyone 😁

DA - I know what you mean, some places just feel awful to be in at all. I usually assume that means something bad's happened there, but then that just gets my imagination running and causes me to feel even more anxious 😆
Kaitlyn (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-27)
Terrifying but crazy cool!

😁

IT IS SO AMAZING I CAN'T HELP THINKING ABOUT IT GOOD JOB. My parents was scared when I told them the story btw, I love it!
Nighthingale23 (60 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-27)
Hi,Liliel Well your story was really so interesting and well written, and eerie... Which ofcourse its normal on this site lol. It was very fluent in the way you put it. I'm looking forward to reading more of your stories!.

Peace ❤
sleepywillows (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-27)
Your story gave me the chills. Right before I got home today I found this newspaper on the bus talking about supernatural haunted hotels in different countries... I don't think ill be able to sleep tonight... Lol but it was very intertaining... Thank you very much
faerielike (15 stories) (268 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-26)
I enjoyed your tale. I can't wait to hear what more you have to share. 😊
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-26)
Thank you for sharing your story. I share your empathic ability and I agree that every place has its own "vibe". You can pretty much walk into a building and tell whether or not you feel safe or comfortable there. I can feel such a difference between the warehouse I work at, which feels very open and safe to me, and my house, which makes me feel uneasy. For some reason the shadows have had me sprinting lately!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: