You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Nanny Joy

Real Ghost Stories

Nanny Joy

 

This happened to me when I was about 12 but I still remember it so well it feels like it's imprinted on my brain. I was staying at my grandma's house. I was lying in bed trying to fall asleep when this strong smell of brownies came into my room. It was past nine at night and I know that my grandma was asleep so I told myself I was just imagining it because I was hungry.

The smell got stronger and stronger and I remember thinking it was strange so I looked at the clock and it was 10:30. I suddenly felt very calm, and that I simply knew that what was meant to be would happen and it was time to let go and just relax. Then when I looked around, trying to understand what was happening I saw the door open and a very human, but also transparent figure moved into the doorway. At first I thought it was my grandma but then I realized that this "person" didn't look like her.

She was very old, with white hair tied up into a bun. A long pale pink nightgown that went to the floor. She moved slowly, almost shuffling that way elderly people do. There were two, very real, but also transparent white west highland terriers at her feet. She stood by my bed and told me it was time and then she faded away.

The feeling of calm and peace faded with her and then I looked at the clock and it was still 10:30. After that I must've fallen asleep straight away because the next thing I remember was waking up, getting breakfast and then being driven home. When I got home my mum was talking to my neighbour about how a family friend had died last night. I already knew who it was but I asked my mum and she said it was Nanny Joy. She was 89 and had died in her sleep, she owned two western highland terriers but neither of them had died.

I know it was her, I'm certain of it. I just don't know why she came to me. Her daughter is a friend of our neighbours, and we saw her at gatherings but Nanny Joy was rarely there as well. Why would she have come to me when we barely knew each other?

Suggestions much appreciated.

-Note, this obviously has nothing to do with my Old Man's House story, I haven't actually written anything more to do with that yet, but I will soon.

Other hauntings by zoeee15

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, zoeee15, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

whitebuffalo (guest)
+1
14 years ago (2010-08-09)
Hello zoeee15.
No one really knows why it is that some people are blessed with the ability to receive messages, or visit with those who have gone on without us.
It could be that she felt a closeness to you in life, that you were not aware of. Her Spirit may have been drawn to you, as you possessed the ability to see her (plus, what GREAT validation for you). Sometimes when the Others come to us, they bring along something so that you KNOW they are who they appear to be. These things do not have to be dead, or inanimate. They can be residuals of a live being (the dogs) just along for the identification process.
Personally, I think you were chosen simply because you COULD "see".
Wa-do.
Ovington (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-05)
Hi Zoeee,
I'd just like to say after reading your story I can immediatly relate to it.
I had nearly exactly the same experience with my grandmother and ill post it when I get the chance.

Its nice to know that somebody else has had the same experience and it wasn't just my mind playing tricks on me. Thank you
David x
Watersprite (3 stories) (85 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-05)
What a nice story! I agree with Zander - and thank you for your excellent comments - that Nanny Joy had a different perspective from the other world. You might not have been close to her when she was alive, but I'll bet being a family friend that she had some fondness for you. I've had relatives who I found out later in life that they liked me when I was growing up and they divulged their feelings only when I was an adult. I had a dear great aunt who was my hero, so to speak, but she didn't really say how she felt. When I was an adult and at a family gathering in my grandma's hospice room - grandma was this great aunt's older sister - my aunt leaned over and said in a low voice in my ear, "I love you very much." Some cousins sitting nearby, who are jealous and competitive people, glared at me. Still, I was very happy that my wonderful aunt had let me know this before she passed on several years later. Sorry to be so long-winded, but I want to point out that you just never know how someone feels about you. It is an honor that this elderly lady paid you a visit. I also agree with Zander that the woman's dogs were helping out their "mommy" one more time by escorting her to the spirit world. Thank you for sharing this fabulous story.

Best wishes,
Watersprite ❤
hatethatiloveyou1322 (3 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-05)
wow that's scary. Um I don't know. Maybe she came to you because she knew youd believe what you saw. 😕
jerryhend1 (3 stories) (136 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-02)
Reason, because you have somthing in comming, or she just liked you... Not a bad thing, too have a friend on the other side...
Zander (7 stories) (146 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-31)
Hi Zoeee,

Wow...very interesting story. My guess about why she appeared to you is that you are among the minority of people who have the sensitivity to see and or interact with the spirit world. I also have a very limited gift in that department, whereby I can hear words or phrases being spoken by the deceased for up to about 3 days after they have passed away. I once knew a very accomplished follower of metaphysics and theosophy with whom I had many discussions about after death communications. She also was contacted by passing relatives before anyone in the family knew that they had passed and it would turn out that her contact with them would coincide with the time of their passing. We concluded that the new arrivals to the spirit world are rather relieved to find a "pay phone" if you will, in their new surroundings, and while this may not be an ability known either to the living person serving as the "phone" nor to the person just passed [while they were living, in any event] my guess would be that their perception is altered and amplified of certain aspects of our reality once they are there.

The Tibetan Book of the Dead would seem to eccho this sentiment with their notion that once in the spirit world, a person is 7 times more psychic than they were in life, or somesuch. I probably should mention that the relatives who contacted my friend at the time of her passing were not only ones with whom she shared no great closeness but even no great affection... Some of them were not relatives whom she had liked at all in life. But, evidently, things are different from the perspective of the beyond.

Now with the dogs...fascinating. I believe that animals are more aware of the spirit world and of their own spirit selves. Several cultures have descriptions of our spirit self but the one which I find perhaps the most interesting is the Islamic concept of a spirit double known as a "ru-eh". I believe that animals are said to possess a rueh as well. The rueh is sort of a spirit body counterpart to a living body. The dogs were helping her on her way, protecting and accompanying her over as they had in life, I would think... At least an aspect of them was.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-07-31)
Zoe: Some times the elderly get confused, so maybe she thought you were one of her grandkids?...Maybe not, but I agree with cosmo, that spirits know those who are open to seeing them...

You know what else is wierd?...My gand-daughter Zoe calls me NANNY... LOL 😆oooo small small world
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-30)
Great story, I enjoyed reading it very much. Sometimes spirits will appear to people when they are about to move on. Whether it's to say they are ok, or to say good bye, or just to let someone know it is their time. Nanny Joy most likely appeared to you because you were open enough to see her. I would bet she liked to make brownies too, that's probably why you smelled them. 😊 I hope Nanny Joy rests in peace. Thanks for sharing your story. 😊 ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: