You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: A Haunted Life :: Paranormal Years

Real Ghost Stories

Paranormal Years

 

Back When I was nineteen, I moved into an apartment in Iowa City with my ex-girlfriend. Things were going great, we couldn't have been happier to be on our own, and we overlooked the fact that the complex was surrounded by a cemetery. However, the events that took place there were enough to turn any skeptic to a true believer of the paranormal. We started to notice small things at first, like lights turning on and off, and strange noises, but we never gave it too much thought. Until one day, I came home from work and the curtains in the office were wide open. Strange, because we always kept them closed. A week later, I came home, and noticed the curtains wide open again, and the chair to our desk had been moved to a position facing out the window.

I immediately thought my girlfriend was pulling pranks, so I called her and she knew nothing about it. A couple weeks pass and things seem fine, until she calls me one day terrified. She said wait until you see the office. Again, I go home to find the curtains are wide open, chair facing out the window and my ex's porcelain doll sitting in the chair. Scary thing is, the window had a view of only the parking lot and the cemetery behind it. We were in disbelief.

Shortly after she and I took a shower together. I began washing my face when she let out a scream, and I look down at our feet and two figurines that normally sat on top of a shadow box across the bathroom were in the shower drain. It was as if something had thrown them into the shower at us. In any case, we moved. Months go by and now my ex is pregnant with our daughter and we hit a few bumps in the road and decided to go our own way. Everything seemed to stop. I enlisted in the US Navy. Years went by and nothing, until one night I was woken up in my barracks room to my stereo blasting. I got up turned it off and went back to sleep. When I woke up, my floor lamp was broken in three places and pushed back behind a desk and there were three skinny lines on the screen of my tv as if fingers were dragging across it. I was in shock. Absolutely no explanation!

Months go by, nothing. I went home on leave, and from there, long story short, my ex and I ended up getting back together. We always joked about what had happened years before in the old apartment. She moved down to my duty station and we got another place together. And right away, things started to pick up where they left off. But so much worse. We started getting messages on our answering machine we couldn't make out, and one of them was five minutes long, finishing with a scream that didn't sound human. We decided we were going to start saving these messages. My friends would always razz me as they thought I was full of it with all of these experiences I would tell them about.

So another couple came to the apartment and my friend stood up and jokingly called out whatever we thought was responsible for the activity. Seconds later we hear a loud band come from the hallway and I thought, great my daughter is up. I went to her room to check on her and she was sound asleep. Then I looked in the bathroom, and the candles were blown out, and all the pictures that hung on the wall were stacked on top of the toilet! I was the last one in there minutes before. We all freaked out, I grabbed my daughter and we left. As we were pulling out, the vertical blinds in her bedroom were swinging back and forth. Now, we had others to back up what we'd been dealing with for so long. But, we couldn't just pack up and move.

Eventually we had the apartment blessed by a Priest. Funny thing was, When we left that day to meet him, all of the doors in the apartment were open. And when we arrived, I opened the front door and every door inside was closed, along with my daughters Elmo toy facing us when opening the door. Right there in the foyer. We were terrified to live there. The priest had also told us he was really uncomfortable with the situation as he wasn't qualified to exorcise anything at this level. We began noticing awful smells in the apartment. And the breaking point was, we heard our daughter in her bedroom one night talking to someone. I checked on her and there she was, sitting on her bed, talking in the dark. I asked her who she was talking to and she told me the witch was in the corner. She was staring and laughing while I was in the room paying no attention to what I was asking her.

This was enough. We began packing to move and a bunch of my navy buddies came to help. We decided to turn the lights off and run a camcorder. Much to everybodies surprise, there were unexplained orbs and a shadow figure that seemed to glow in the living room. Everybody that watched that video freaked out! My buddies claimed they were feeling cold spots! Anyhow just like before, things didn't work out and we went our seperate ways. Oh and there was a time, in this place when my brother visited... He said he was hearing some noises coming out of the bathroom... When he peeked in, he said he saw a shadow figure bang against the mirror. This is NOT normal! Years went by, nothing. And now here we are today. I have a new fiance, and same as usual, weird things, weird things.

The prior house we were in, we'd hear the usual banging in the middle of the night. I came home twice to find the clothes I had in my closet were pushed to the side and the clothes from the middle were taken off the closet rack still folded over hangers and placed neatly on the closet floor. That very night, it sounded like a little girl crying by the foot of the bed. We also have an American bulldog, he's a big boy and every now and then, the hair stands up on his back and he starts growling into thin air. My fiancee told me she woke up one night and saw a black shadow man standing by her closet, and that next morning... She felt hands around her neck and couldn't breathe. This lasted about ten seconds. She said when this was going on, she couldn't move, she couldn't see... She felt like somebody had broken in and was really choking her... When it stopped there was nothing there. This is unacceptable...

We purchased Crosses we put up through our new house... And have been putting up a webcam at night... Things now seem to have stopped aside from the banging we hear at night, and the feeling of being watched...oh, I almost forgot, this just happened a couple of days ago. She and I left for the store, and a friend of mine had stopped by. He said he knocked on the door and heard somebody talking inside. He said he heard our bulldog going ballistic, and then distinctly heard a voice tell our dog to be quiet a couple of times. My buddy was thinking, why aren't they answering the door? I hear them inside, so he started banging on the door. Same thing, dog barking, voice tells dog to be quiet! What is going on?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Maryland

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Hawkeye1981, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-27)
My Dear Hawkeye1981,

This is surely a different experience. But, in my country, these are not unheard of. We say that some person is continuously haunted by some spirits that are not necessarily dangerous. But, I find that haunting is more when you are in a relationship. This means that either the spirit that is haunting you is totally against you in a relationship. But, people in our country have solved such problems. And many of the people end up spending a lot owing to the fact that they end up with wrong persons and generally, a genuine person won't charge you much to solve the problem. Anyway, keep trying and before engaging anybody to solve the problem, do enquire about them. Till such time, prayer is the only solution.
Shell1982 (70 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-27)
Sounds like you've got yourself a poltergeist! Poltergeists aren't necessarily spirits, they are often believed to be generated by the excess 'energy' of the person who is the focus (i.e. You), so exorcism may not help. If it only happens when you are in a relationship, then I'm guessing you become more emotionally charged during these times and hence the activity increases. Remember - this is almost certainly NOT a malevolent spirit, but just a weird side effect of your own emotions, and so it can't hurt you!

I also suspect your daughter's and current partner's night time sightings were a dream and an episode of sleep paralysis respectively - you may have read too much into them because of all the other weird stuff that was going on at the time.

I would try to calm my emotions somehow, like meditating, getting some counselling for any problems you might have, or burning incense in the house, and see if that improves things at all. Good luck!
Dan_Paranormal (1 stories) (74 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-25)
Sounds like you've got a personal haunting going on. A lot of people below me have said this as well I just wanted to add in what I think.
From the sounds of it this entity is quite powerful. Could it have attatched itself to you while you lived near the cemetary? It's possible, it could have attatched itself to you and over time gained energy as it seems that it has got more powerful over the course of your story.

To get it to move on, I agree with what everyone else has said, try and sort some rituals out. By the sounds of it the crosses seemed to have a possitive effect if they cut down the energy but they seemingly can only keep it at bay for so long. It's a possitive sign though.

Thanks for sharing your story and good luck in how you tackle this being.
roseinbloom (4 stories) (117 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-24)
I agree with badjuju, in that it would be wise to try and get JimD to help. He's a deamonoligst on this site and has helped many. His email is Dukes2352 [at] aol.com Good luck and God Bless! ❤
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-24)
Geez of all things to be sitting on the chair it had to be a doll lol. I am in agreement with previous posters these entities do seem to be attached to you, and if it isn't yourself it has to be an object of some sort that you own. There are many blessings, rituals, ceremonies etc that you can peform that may assist you that can be found on this website. I wish you all the best.

Thank you for sharing.

Dan
faerielike (15 stories) (268 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-23)
I tsounds to me like something is following you. It might not just be the places you lived that needs blessed but you as well. Good luck! ❤
Eris (1 stories) (4 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-09-23)
What you said is plausible, negative energy does attract more of its kind. I'm sorry to say that I have no idea how to get it to move on, but I know one thing and one thing for sure: Do not, under any circumstances, try to contact it through the Ouija board. You don't know what's going to come through that door you open when you use one, and it could only bring more problems.
Now, my first thoughts would be to burn sage in your home, get a blessed St. Benedict medallion, and talk to an important religious figure in whatever your religious affiliation is.
I wish you the best of luck, and be careful.
X
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+1
14 years ago (2010-09-23)
Wow, this is quite an unpleasant account. I have to agree with the folks on here who say it isn't the places you live, but rather you yourself which this is attached to. And the way it acts up more when you are in a relationship seems like it's trying to keep you to itself.
There is a guy on here, JimD. He's a pretty good guy and he may have some insight for you.
I know this is a rough time, but keep yourself wrapped in the love of your fiancee and daughter. Love is the best shield against negativity.
Antionette (6 stories) (12 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-23)
Hi there!
I also believe it's a spirit that's "in-love" with you since the house close to the cemetary, if I have to put it like that.
Every time you are serious in a relationship strange things starts to happen.
I am no expert. I also think you have to get help quick. You will never have piece if the spirit doesn't move on.
Freaky shiat!
Good luck!
-ANT
robertar (223 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-22)
People might tell you different things, but for the sake of your child please take it seriously. You wouldn't let strange people in to have access to your child, why be any more tolerant of disembodied spirits.

Consider a couple options. Jesus Christ. Prayer.
luna17 (2 stories) (23 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-09-22)
Maybe a ghost from your old apartment is attached to you. I have read several stories were ghost have followed people to different locations. It seems like several ghost are following you, the witch, the shadow of a man plus the girl crying. Get experinced help, the priest should of hooked you up with another priest of higher knowledge or they will always follow you...

If I was you I would get help ASAP from a medium, native american or priest. You also said about the message that ended in a loud non-human scream. I have never encounter demons but from what I've read they don't sound human, can take different forms (like the 3 ghost could be just 1), and can follow a person, or it could just be ghosts. But have someone help you so that you know what's following you plus to get rid of the haunting so that you and your fiance live in peace😊
Hawkeye1981 (1 stories) (3 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-09-22)
[at] Eris,
Yeah I agree. Creepy is an understatement! It took us all by surprise because my daughter kept her toys in her room, so when we opened the front door, there he was as if he was greeting us. "Something" moved it there. I've never had any paranormal experiences prior to that apartment in Iowa City. She and I fought every now and then, and maybe that attracted some energy. But if something is attached, how can you help it move on? What do you do in that situation?
Eris (1 stories) (4 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-09-22)
That's intense. My nephew has an Elmo toy he keeps with my family and it is the creepiest thing every, its eye is like smudged so I keep it hidden away in the closet. But, anyways, like the others have mentioned, it's most likely not the places that are haunted, but something is attached to *you*. Had the activity begun when you moved to the apartment near the cemetery or had there been little incidents before?
Hawkeye1981 (1 stories) (3 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-09-22)
The other night we had a pretty bad scare. Our security alarm went off downstairs. In a panic, my fiance and I waited at the top of the spiral staircase. When we heard sirens outside, I decided to go down and check it out. The backdoor was wide open, however, there was no evidence of a break-in, nor was anybody in the house. As I said, she saw what looked to be a the shadow of a man in our bedroom, and every now and then, I catch something out of the corner of my eye. But its gone just like that. However, she and I do watch a lot of shows about the paranormal, do you think maybe that could trigger something in the house? I wish I knew. We decided to set up a wind chime in our living room underneath the attic, and wow, what a surprise... We heard it clanking together around 1 am. I hope somebody can give us some insight on what may be going on...
Hawkeye1981 (1 stories) (3 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-09-22)
I wish I knew. I've never been involved in any type of witchcraft or anything. My fiance seems to believe the majority of the activity happens when I'm involved in a relationship.
KittyKat89 (1 posts)
+2
14 years ago (2010-09-22)
i think maybe you are haunted. Rather then the places you have been living in. 😐
Easy (2 stories) (4 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-09-22)
Wow,you are seriously attracting some strange company.Ok,so you were near a cemetery.That's not reason enough for such strong activity.
Any thoughts on why this is happening?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: