You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: Unwanted Company Becomes Vocal

Real Ghost Stories

Unwanted Company Becomes Vocal

 

This is the third story I am hoping to get published relating to my sleep paralysis experience. I haven't experienced such an intense experience in quite a while and even thought that I was cured from my sleep paralysis, having taken the advice from the comments - not sleeping on my back and keeping a Bible under my pillow. Thanks again for your comments with my last few stories - they gave me a lot of comfort.

Just last night when I was about to fall asleep I noticed a great coldness in the room. At first I didn't think anything of it as it is Winter time here and the weather has been very cold of late. But I did go to bed dressed warmly and had a hot water bottle with me in bed.

I then felt a sense of great panic for no apparent reason. The room was freezing and I had broken into a cold sweat. I was tired and ready to sleep but something was preventing it. I actually came to feel quite frustrated. Anyway, I must have eventually got off to sleep. During the night I woke in great pain (I have no idea what caused this). I then heard that familiar loud zooming sound going through my head which I associated with my past sleep paralysis experiences and thought, "oh no, here we go again...". It was louder this time than I remember it.

I was half awake but had my eyes closed. Anytime before when I have opened my eyes I have had visual hallucinations of a dark figure beside me, trying to drag me me away or a figure with evil eyes doing horrible things to me. I was determined to keep my eyes shut. I think I must have been half-dreaming as I vividly saw a match strike before me and a fire broke out. I panicked as I was expecting to wake to my house in flames. This frightening thought kept me awake.

I had the dreaded feeling that I was not alone in the room. I then felt something poke me in the back and then suddenly had an Outer Body Experience. As I wasn't fully asleep, I knew what was going on. I always get OBEs when I have an episode of sleep paralysis. I remember screaming in my head, "where are you taking me?" Out of curiosity, I decided not to fight it to see where it would take me. But all I can remember is getting the feeling of floating out of my body. The surroundings were very vague. I just felt like I was hovering in mid air and going around every corner of the room.

I then had a real horrible feeling that something awful was going to happen if I didn't get back to my body. I struggled with all my might to move my leg but couldn't. It felt like a dead weight. When I did eventually move (my whole body shuddered), I heard a great booming, low voice. I actually got the impression that whatever was trying to lift me up was angry that I had escaped its clutches. It certainly didn't sound like a human voice. From what I could figure out, it was speaking in some strange language. I am a linguist and can speak several languages and it certainly wasn't one of those. In fact, I don't even think it was a language that belongs to this planet! I just had that gut instinct that it was something paranormal.

I eventually did wake up when I mustered up the courage to open my eyes. I jumped out of bed and ran out of my room as fast as I could in case I did see something. I don't think I could have coped with that. When I looked at the clock in the bathroom, it was 3am exactly. It even took me a while to have the strength to face my bedroom. I was really tired and knew I would have to get up for work early and I needed sleep. I had to sleep with my light on for the rest of the night and I am 31 years old!

I would just like to get some ideas as to what you all think this experience could mean. I am not very religious and am trying to keep to the medical side of sleep paralysis but I can't think of any reason this could have happened last night. By the way, I was sleeping on my side when all this happened and I hadn't been drinking alcohol or caffeine before bed. I am actually going to the doctor in a few days time to discuss sleep paralysis and maybe get a medical view on it. I will let you all know what the doctor tells me, should I get this story published.

I am an open-minded person. Any views - either medical or spiritual would be welcome just to shed some light on the matter of sleep paralysis.

Other hauntings by EMMA-M

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, EMMA-M, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

EMMA-M (6 stories) (19 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-03)
Hi
Thanks again for your comments. I have taken your advice on board, esp looking at SP from a psychological point of view.
Just to keep you all updated on the SP. Last night I had yet another episode, but not as bad. I was in the middle of having a dream and I woke from it - my mind awake and my body asleep. I felt paralysed but as I felt the attack begin to happen, I jolted my whole body (with great difficulty). It also felt like something was sitting on top of my bed even though I was lying on my side - the typical "Old Had Syndrome" of SP. I didn't get any OBEs this time around because I would not let it happen in my mind. Hope this helps anyone else who suffers from SP.
EMMA-M (6 stories) (19 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-25)
Hi guys! Thanks very much for your response. I went to the doctor and explained my situation. He was quite open-minded about even asked me if I was a spiritual person. I told him I wasn't. He told me the hallucinations are known as "hypnagogic hallucinations" which can be pretty terrifying. He also asked me whether I suffered from Sleep Apnea when you fall asleep suddenly (which I don't). I know this is not a medical related website but I am still in 2 minds though if it is something more... I am aware of the 3am phenomenon as I have read it in other stories here. I do remember panicking when I looked at the time that night. It is strange to think if all that was a trick of the mind, how did I feel such a strong presence? And I know it wasn't a nightmare as I was awake with my eyes closed and very aware of what was happening. I told a friend of mine last week about this story and she asked me if my house was haunted. Something struck me and the thought had crossed my mind due to the unexplained blasts of cold air and recently our lights have started to flicker for a while (usually about midnight) and then go back to normal. So you never know...
scrapmetalkitten (306 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-24)
Hi EMMA-M:

I have been reading lately about OBE experiences and symptoms. Some of what you were saying rings true to classic OBE symptoms! So don't worry. The whooshing noise or booming noises are quite common when supposedly your spirit or part of your spirit leaves its body, which leaves you unable to move causing sleep paralysis. I really believe OBEs and sleep paralysis go hand in hand, so doing research on both and how to control them might go a long way to helping you out. Also I have heard from a friend who frequently gets sleep paralysis that they focus on wiggling their big toe and once they can get it to wiggle it pulls them out of the paralysis attack all of the way. There are many schools of thought on what OBEs and sleep paralysis attacks are, personally I believe it is a combination of spiritual and physical things going on with the body.
Demonkiller (32 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-23)
At 3am in the morning that's when most paranormal things happen. It could either be sleep paralysis or a Demon.
😊
Shinigami0 (2 stories) (203 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-22)
Also, try sleeping in different positions, as sleep paralysis happens while lying in your back. 😊

But yeah, like BJJ said, sleep paralysis is a sleep disorder. If you'd like, I can give you a link to some info about it that I had to learn for my AP Psych class. Very informative. 😊
Loganz_sis (1 stories) (150 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-22)
I am not saying I am an expert but here is my take.
I think some things can be controlled by the sheer power of your mind, and most things are psychological. Next time this happens try thinking or saying - " this cannot happen if I do not want it" nobody/nothing can force you. I think one moments weakness by saying - 'oh no not again" just exhibits defeat... And the situation gets worse because it may seem like you are not fighting it back.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+2
13 years ago (2010-11-22)
I like your attitude. It's nice to see someone looking at sleep paralysis as a sleep disorder rather than crying "demon!" and scaring themselves.
You've likely heard this before, but try to relax completely before bed, release all stress from the day. Meditation, bubble bath, aromatherapy, all of the above... Whatever helps you unwind. Letting go of as much tension as possible will probably help.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: