This story occurred when I was very young, only 10 or 11. It was the summer of 2006. It was very hot in Big Spring, Texas and I was having trouble sleeping, as I always do in the heat. I managed to doze off, but not for long. The clock showed 2:46 when I fell asleep, but when I awoke, it showed 3:00. I was thirsty; my mouth was extremely dry, so I went to get up and get some water.
As I began to sit up I realized that I was moving very slowly. My muscles seemed not to want to move. When I finally was upright I saw that my closet door, which I always took great care to shut, was ajar. At that moment I smelled something acrid, like propane, and my eyes started burning. I tried to call out, to tell my mom we had a gas leak or something, but my voice caught in my throat.
A chill ran down my back as I glanced at the open closet. I caught a quick movement in the shadow, and though I may have imagined it, I heard a cold, clear, and deep voice cackle. I panicked and tried again to scream, but again no sound. I looked down the hallway and saw a shadowy haze flickering there.
I began crying from fear and silently called to God for assistance. As the haze began to move toward me it dissipated, as did the smell and the blockage in my throat. The burning in my eyes ceased as I looked again at the hallway. Our dog Buster walked into my room and looked up at me. He then lay facing the door as I lay back in bed and shivered despite the heat. A glance at the clock told me it was 3:33. I closed my eyes tightly and drifted off to sleep, clutching the blankets to my chest.
The next morning I awoke and he was still there, the closet was still open, and I was sure what had happened was real. I couldn't sleep right for a week because of fear, but my trusty dog still kept guard. I have never had such an experience since, but the fear of that incident remains with me still.