You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Figures Out Of The Corners Of My Eyes

Real Ghost Stories

Figures Out Of The Corners Of My Eyes

 

I have never been a strong believer in the paranormal, but lately I can't deny that odd things have happened to me around the house. Nothing huge - but just big enough to be noticed.

About 4 years ago when I was 14, I began to see these little black spots out of the corner of my eyes. I think they could best be described as sea urchin shaped - round with spikes. I called them "spiders." I eventually complained about it so much that my mother took me to an eye doctor. The doctor said my vision was perfectly fine. Soon after, I stopped seeing the "spiders," but I became more and more uncomfortable being in the front part of my house.

About the house: It was built in the late 1930s - early 1940s. It's built in a neighboorhood that's in the middle of a cotton farm that's just over 100 years old. My mother and I moved in after she married my stepfather, who had been living in it with his sons since the 70s. To my knowledge, there have never been any deaths in the house. I have never heard anyone complain about the house, so when I felt uncomfortable I would just chalk it up to me being a wimp.

As I was saying, I would get very uncomfortable whenever I was outside of my room, especially if I was in the front of the house (living room, kitchen, dining room, office). I would get up in the middle of the night and walk to the kitchen to get water and end up running back because I would suddenly get this paranoid feeling that someone was walking right behind me. My room is the only place I never noticed the "spiders" or felt like I was being followed or watched. I felt safest in my room. Oddly enough, it's always a few degrees warmer in my room than in the rest of the house. A few years ago, my mom and stepdad thought that this might be because something was wrong with our air conditioner. They called out the AC specialists who couldn't find a single thing out of place with it. I have always kept a crucifix over my door (I grew up Catholic) and some other religious items in my room. I have a small hunch that this might be why I feel so safe.

The reason I'm writing about this now is because lately I've been seeing figures out of the corners of my eyes (the most recent sighting being a couple of days ago). I was on my way out of the front door, and I saw a dark, shadow-like outline of a person in our kitchen (the doorway to our kitchen is less than 10 feet from the front door). I stood absolutely still, and it didn't move. As soon as I turned towards it, it was gone. People on the Greek side of my mother's family have always been very sensitive to paranormal sightings and happenings, and I just never really paid much attention to it until now (I might post some stories of their paranormal experiences later).

Could anyone offer a little insight as to what's going on here? What is it? Should I be worried?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Mississippi

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, TheAlexandra, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

TanyaMarieRodgers (4 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-17)
Reading your story I can some what compare myself to you. At the age of three I saw my first ghost, who I was having a full blown conversation with, how do I remember this well my mother walked in on me and asked who I was talking to during the early hours of the morning and I told her, the woman behind you mammy. My second experience was when I was renting a house with two mates, I saw a dark shadowy male figure walk straight through a closed door. My third was a litttle girl walking along through my mothers hallway while I was alone in the house she would of been no more than 8. My sister saw the same girl hanging from the ceiling of our old room at my mothers and my father woke during the night to the little girl screaming in my fathers ear saying 'Get Him, Get Him' which she was warning my father that my little brother in the crib beside his bed had pulled the covers over his head. I am not worried about her though, shes playfull and likes to joke around with my brothers now who are now in there teens for example my 13yr old brother was lying in the bottom bunk when my other brother was jumping fiercely on the top bunk, my brother jumped up from the botton to scream at my other brother but to only realise there was no one there, also she likes messing up the boys room lol but never harmed anyone just playfull. The last sighting I saw was last year, I'm a navy reserist in ireland and was at sea on one the ships, I was on QM and had to go up onto the flag deck to take note of the weather and how much rain had fallen, it was just after midnight when I went up to do so. I had brought up my camera as we were docked in Fenet and altho very dark wanted to take a picture of the town highlighted by the street lamps... As I took my first snap I could of sworn something ran in front of me, a dark shadow that I could not explain, so I ignored it and got ready to take a second snap as the camera flashed for the second time again I saw the dark shadow run across in the opposite direction as the first time. Now I was panicing and bplted for the ladder type stairs. AS I ran down I felt my hand being pulled up and the camera which was attached by a string around my wrist went up with it and smashed against the wall. My camera was broken yet when I tried to view the pics on the computer it was all blurry. I couldn't see nothing at all, I couldn't make anything out. I spens a lot of time down in the naval base where a lot of suicides have took place from people going Awol through out the years. Its an old base the British use to own it at first and they have been battles fought on the base. Last year was the last time I seen something on the ship. Thankfully I havnt seen anything since. Except I like you have experienced by seeing so many dark fast shadowy movements from the cornor of my eye... I can also sence when something is watching me like now as I type this, I sence a male figure leaning over my left shoulder looking at what I'm doing... Curious but harmless... Unfortunatley I can't say the same about my bedroom room I sence a woman there except shes scarey almost monster like its a horrible feeling when I close my eyes I see a womans face, the same face everytime her eyes are all black and she has short black messy looking hair I tell her go away and leave me alone and for a few minutes shes gone and its not long after until she comes back. I don't no if we would be classified as a sensitive or not but I know what I sence are real, when I feel a bad energy around me I can tell straight away I get these head aches, annoying almost, bad feelings... When you said you felt like some one was chasing you from the kitchen I to get that when I'm going up the stairs and I know for a fact its the same energy that's in my bedroom chasing me, trying to scare me! I'm 23 and I'm afraid of the dark over these experiences more afraid of the things I can't see rather than the ones I did see. I won't even sleep in my bedroom on my own... During the day though I feel ok sometimes even tho I'm always being watched by this old man that I can't figure out who he is but as for that bad hatred feeling I get when I'm either lying in bed or near the stairs whether I'm looking up them or down them its really starting to affect me. I try not to show fear has I don't want them to feed off it but its tough!
TheAlexandra (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-13)
BadJuuJuu -
Thanks so much for the advice! The only other person that seems to have noticed it is my mother, and she has always chalked it up to being something else (an example would be that when our hallway was hardwood, every night between 9:30 and 10:00 we would hear footsteps as if someone was walking up and down the hall. She merely blamed the cat, who was usually asleep on the foot of my bed when this happened).

Sweet_Dreams
It's not so much scary as it is startling, but you're right - it does help to focus on other things.
Sweet_Dreams (4 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-12)
I get that sometimes as well. I don't know what it is either. I don't get to scared though, I focus on other things instead.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+4
13 years ago (2011-07-12)
A house can have activity, whether someone died in the house or not. Ghosts can and will attach to land, objects, or occasionally people. It could be that the land the house is on has an attachment. Maybe a figurine or piece of furniture in the home has an attachment. Was anything brought into the home around the time the activity started again? Anything bought from a garage sale, flea market, or any previously owned items given to someone in the home as a gift? It could just be that the activity you noticed four years ago decided to start up again. Ghosts occasionally take long breaks between activity.
It doesn't sound like the activity is anything malicious, just something there and you know it's there. If you're comfortable doing so, maybe you could try telling it that it's frightening you and ask to keep activity to a minimum in your presence. If you aren't comfortable with that, maybe talk to your priest about a house blessing. Work within your belief system and comfort zone to find peace.
One question and I'll quit rambling, I promise. Have any other family members noticed the activity, and if so what do they think of it?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: