You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Unexplained Mysteries Of My Childhood House

Real Ghost Stories

Unexplained Mysteries Of My Childhood House

 

I used to live in a house in Crediton, Devon, from the age of 3 until I was 16, with my brother Richard who is a year older than me, and my mum and dad.

The house was 100s of years old, it used to be 2 houses, and was made into one house in the 1800s. The left side which was one house didn't have a kitchen or a bathroom which was quite strange, but the right side, which was the other house did have a kitchen and bathroom, and also had a long garden with an outside toilet and a sink in the shed.

We think that the people who lived in the house with no kitchen or bathroom were labourers and used the sink and toilet that was in the garden next door, and used to work most of the time. When the house was made into one big house the staircase of the left side was all blocked up.

My parents bought the house and we moved down from London in 1984, after the first couple of days my mum and dad said they felt a very horrible dark atmosphere in the house, mainly in the right side of the house, so they called the local vicar to come round and bless the house to see if that would ease the bad feeling, he also picked up on the bad atmosphere as well. He carried out the blessing and then after that the house seemed to be ok for a few weeks, there was a nice calm feeling about the house.

From the time we moved into the house we experienced a number of unexplained mysteries.

One mid afternoon while me and Rich were at primary school and my dad was at the local supermarket, my mum was in the front room doing a pile of ironing, in the right corner the door to the hallway was open, out of the corner of my mums eye she saw a man, who at first thought must be my dad, but realised he was still at the supermarket. The man was wearing an old tricone hat and a long gown, nothing that anyone would wear in the mid eightys. When my mum looked round again he had disappeared, my mum was shocked but also in disbelief.

At about 7pm me and Rich would go upstairs to play on our Super Nintendos or watch tv or something, and my mum and dad would go into the room across the hallway where they used to go and sit every night, have a drink and watch a film or listen to some music. At this time my mums mum was very old and being looked after in hospital up in London. My mums dad had died of cancer a few years before.

That night my mum and dad were sat in the other room watching a film and between them was a small coffee table that was very low. It was quite late when all of a sudden there were 3 very clear knocks coming from under the table. My mum and dad looked straight at each other, eyes wide with surprise. At first the only logical explanation was that one of them had done it, but the table was very low and was in between the chairs so there was no way you could get your hand underneath or even your leg. The next evening, my mum had a phone call to say that her mum had passed away at 3pm. My mum and dad have always thought that the knocks on the coffee table were from her dad trying to warn her that her mum was going to pass away at about 3 the next day if she wanted to visit before, unfortunately she didn't pick up on this.

Another time my mum and dad were in the sitting room in the evening, talking about paranormal activities, ufos and such like. They had a big rubber torch that sat on the side cabinet. The on off switch was on the side of the torch so you couldn't just press it whilst it was sat in that position, you had to pick it up and turn it to get to the on off switch. For some reason out of the blue my dad said to my mum " wouldn't it be funny if the torch turned itself on." And with that the next minute the torch had turned itself on! But it was right over the other side of the room, far away from where they were both sat!

Remember at the beginning I mentioned about the house being 2 houses at one point. Well, the staircase in the left side house had all been covered up with plasterboard and blocked off for some reason. My dad found a hollow part in the wall of the sitting room one day and decided to make a hole in the wall and find out what it was. When he uncovered the staircase he was very excited, and he also found some old newspapers dating back to the early 1900s.

This was a scary story my dad told me. My mum and dads bedroom was the room directly obove the sitting room, and had the uncovered staircase leading up to it. Apart from they didn't use it because the stairs were a bit steep, they used it mostly for storage instead. One night they were both laying in bed with the light out trying to get to sleep. Next minute they heard light footsteps coming up the old staircase. They both sat up and sat very close to each other, still hearing the footsteps that came all the way up the stairs and across their bedroom until they stopped when it reached the other side of the bedroom by the window. They heard this on a number of occasions and my mum always thought it was the ghost of a little girl, my dad said it sounded like a child walking on lino with bare feet!

There was also another very strange thing that happened in my parents bedroom. One night my dad woke up in the middle of the night, and he saw my mums spirit come out of her body and walk round the bed and disapear into the bedroom door that leads into my bedroom. It was mad because her real body was still asleep in bed next to my dad! My dad said he sat there in disbelief, he couldn't believe his eyes. When they woke up in the morning my dad asked my mum about what happened and she had no idea about any of it, but said she slept very well. It seems she had an astral projection, which is known as an out of body experience.

My bedroom was in the middle of my parents and my brothers bedroom, it was at the top of the main stairs that lead down to the kitchen. I must have only been about 8 years old when one night I woke up in the middle of the night and all I could hear was everything in the kitchen was shaking. I could hear the cutlery in the drawers and the cups that were hanging on hooks on the side of the cupboard shaking. I felt very scared but at first I remember thinking am I dreaming, so I pinched my arm until it hurt and realised it was actually real! I was terrified but I got out of bed and crept downstairs and opened the door to the kitchen very slowly and peered round the door, and everything went silent. My brother even heard the noise that night but was too scared to get out of bed, why I got up and went to investigate I will never know as I would of been more likely to hide under the duvet too!

It still sends a shiver through me and my brother these days when we talk about it. I have no idea as to what that was to this day, I have often thought if it was a little tremor of some kind then the rest of the house would have shook and also it wouldn't have just gone silent soon as I opened the kitchen door. I asked my mum and dad the next day if they heard it but they slept right through it. Maybe it was some kind of energy, I guess I will never know a hundred percent.

My brother and I grew up and left the house 8 years later, and my parents left too. All my friends who live in Crediton said its a creepy house, and also its had many new occupiers since we left, it seems every other year its up for sale again...

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, mandynrattys, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

mandynrattys (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-26)
Thankyou geetha50, I forgot to mention that we had our house up for sale for ages but unfortunately we couldn't sell it, I think mainly because it was right on a very busy main road and quite far from the town. Yes that's a good idea to go back and see if they'll talk to me if I don't get a letter:) I will keep you posted on what happens.
mandynrattys (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-26)
Thankyou DragonStorm80, yes I do hope I get a reply and also would be great to go back to the house for a visit again, although I think I would jump at the slightest noise:) and yes maybe that's why the previous owners blocked up the old staircase I don't know, but it would be very interesting to here from others who have lived there.
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-18)
This story sent chills down my spine. I probably would have begged my parents to move out of the house after experiencing the kitchen incident. Like the others, I hope you get the response you are looking for from the letter. Just a small suggestion, if you don't get anything of the letter you wrote, why don't you go directly to the house and knock on the door and talk to the people there and explain to them why you are there. I know it might sound like a looney idea but it doesn't hurt to ask!
DragonStorm80 (1 stories) (440 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-06)
mandynrattys~ What a very well written story! 😊 I am so sorry to hear about your mother passing in that same house and by tragic circumsntances, I really do hope that the new occupants will write back to you and let you visit and maybe you will be able to "see/feel" your mum again.

I found it interesting that your parents only heard the foot steps up the stairs after they uncovered it, maybe it was covered up by previous occupiers because they heard the same footsteps? 😊
mandynrattys (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-05)
Hi cosmogal926, thankyou for your comment:) yes I am hoping they will reply too, and also would be great if they invited me back, although as I am older now I think I would be straight out the door if I experienced anything there now!:)
mandynrattys (1 stories) (7 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-05)
Hi Javelina, thankyou for reading my story, I didn't know about the three knocks thing, apparently my parents had seen my mum's mum just a week before, they didn't feel guilty as she was very old and poorly and didn't know who my mum was any more, they had kind of said goodbye to her the last week they visited:)
mandynrattys (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-05)
Hi DeviousAngel, yes I class my mum as leaving aswell as she no longer lived in the house, but yes she did die there.
mandynrattys (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-05)
Hi againsarahan, thankyou for taking an interest in my story:) I couldn't find any history on the row of thatch houses where I lived but the Manor house along that road was built in late 1600's, so I am guessing it was somewhere around this time. The house was built with red bricks, and had a thatched roof, inside the ceiling were very low with beams going through the middle, and the walls inside were made of mud and straw. There is quite a bit of history about Crediton, there was a lot of fighting going on. Kirton was its old name. This is a link to some history of Crediton.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crediton
The surrounding area of Crediton is lots of field's, loads of country walks and rivers, just full of countryside really, and I suppose that is mainly what Crediton had going for it, the fields to grow and trade.
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-05)
Thank you for sharing your story with us. It was very well told and I could feel the creepiness of the house. I hope you get a response from the current owners and maybe they will even invite you back to check it out. I'm also very sorry about what happened to your mum.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-05)
I'm curious, you said your story:

"My brother and I grew up and left the house 8 years later, and my parents left too."

But in your comment you said your mum died there. How did she die there if she had left?
mandynrattys (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-05)
:) Thank you for all your comments, I will try my best to answer all the questions.

Hi Suzie, I am glad you enjoyed reading my story, yes it was a very scary house from being a child growing up there. I keep thinking that maybe I ll pretend to be a buyer and go back and have a look round sometime! My mum died in this house under tragic circumstances, so I always wonder if her spirit is still there, and maybe this is why people haven't lived there long before moving.

I do have another little story but I couldn't submit it on here as its purely based on a dream that I had many times. It was around February of last year when me and my partner moved into a bungalow in Exmouth, Devon, UK. At the time I was pregnant with my daughter Poppy, it was a 2 bedroomed bungalow with a steep path leading up to the front door, the 2 bedrooms were situated looking out onto the main road, the living room was at the back looking out onto the garden, which was very steep, bumpy and the soil was rock solid. It was quite a cosy place to live but did feel a bit oppressive and gloomy, the lighting wasn't very good in the living room. We used to sleep in the bigger bedroom of the 2, and most nights I would have exactly the same dream, that there was some kind of dark energy in the living room, and most nights I would have this same dream, it went on for months. Then I had my daughter, came home from hospital, I was quite poorly at the time, suffering from postnatal depression with a bit of what I think was psychosis, I decided I wanted to change bedrooms as the littler one seemed brighter with a better atmosphere, so we tried this, and from that night on I stopped having that dream, until we moved out, I had the dream then that something wouldn't let me leave, and after that I only had it once more when I thought I had to go back there to pick up some post. I have always thought there must of been something going on to have the same dream about the same room for months.

Hi JustCurious, Yes a very eerie atmosphere in this house, I am currently writing a letter to the current occupiers of the house to see if they have experienced anything there< hoping they will write back to me!
Everything has been relatively quiet since the house in Crediton apart from the dream I said about in my last paragraph, but I hope to experience some more strange goings on in the future:)
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-04)
mandynrattys,
Three knocks? I have a friend here who'll probably stand behind on this one, but three knocks is almost the standard when it comes to spiritual communication. I say this because it bothers me that your parents may be feeling some sort of guilt over that situation. They really shouldn't feel that way at all.

Jav
againsarahan (34 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-04)
Oh, sorry! You already said where the house is: Crediton, Devon. I am not well read on Devon, so now I guess I'll start. I'm trying to imagine what your house was built of, and the surrounding countryside.I've always been fascinated by the British Isles.
againsarahan (34 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-04)
Do you know when the house/houses were built? You said they were hundreds of years old, but how many? What part of the country? Any history at all? What a fascinating place to grow up! Thanks for sharing.
JustCurious (2 stories) (434 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-04)
That sounded like a really creepy house. Not sure how long I would have been able to last in there. Especially with the bit about hearing everything in the kitchen shake and then go quiet the minute you opened the door.

Have you experienced anything else since this house? Or has it been relativly quiet?

Peace
JustCurious
Gizzy (3 stories) (71 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-07-04)
Hi Mandynrattys,

I really enjoyed this story it has a lot of deatil in it without being farfetched. It sounds like you had a lot of activity in the house and also the spirits were not quite as keen on future residents 😊.
I hope to hear more from you as I am sure there are more stories to share. Suzie

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: