You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: My First Evp

Real Ghost Stories

My First Evp

 

I recently had a paranormal experience (June, 2011) that brought back childhood memories and eventually led me to this website and I would like to share this story of my childhood with you.

I grew up about fifteen miles out of small town in middle Tennessee in the 70's. My parent's bought a cassette tape recorder, one of those rectangular ones with one speaker in the back and a built in mic and a handle in the front to carry it with. My brother and I thought this was the greatest thing ever considering I was four and he was six. We played with the recorder every single day and never got tired of how funny our voices sounded being played back to us. I don't sound like that do I? I would ask and my brother would answer yes you do! And everyone would laugh.

On Thanksgiving Day we were all at my grandfathers for dinner. There were several grandchildren there all about the same age and we were in the back bedroom playing with the recorder and listening back to ourselves being silly when we heard EVP during a playback. At that time we didn't know what EVP was nor our parents but what we heard scares me to this day.

It started off normal with all the kids jabbering in the background when this demonic sounding voice sounded like it was right over the mic as it was a lot louder than we were. We never made out what it was saying but it sounded like it was speaking in Latin or some other language we didn't know. I wish I still had the tape to be analysed with modern tech but after a few days my mom and dad decided to burn it because it scared them so bad and we were told to stay out of the back room at Pa's house.

I have heard a lot of EVP over the years from ghost hunters actually asking questions and I have never heard anything like we did that Thanksgiving day and they usually seem to be low and not very audible where this one sounded like it was right in the mic and a lot louder than we were and this voice we heard sounded like pure evil! I can still remember that awful sound as if it were yesterday and its been over thirty years ago.

Other hauntings by champion

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Tennessee

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, champion, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

champion (3 stories) (172 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-19)
Hi Jaderae, thanks for reading and I will warn you that the recording itself of Jim Jones is very disturbing and when you start to hear the EVP it is even worse. You can find the recording easy enough but the one I watched was on the top 5 EVP list. My experience is why I watched it and when I heard it again after all these years was terrifying. I thought the same as you about the recordings being on cassette tapes but when you hear there is no doubt you will believe.
jaderae (3 stories) (29 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-08-19)
Hi Champion,

I just saw your new comment pop up, so I read your story. I believe that would have been very scary. I'm unable to listen to the Jonestown recording right now, but I will when I have a chance.
I was wondering if anyone on this site is a recording hobbyist? Maybe they can rule out if this type of noise is a sort of feedback that occurs in some recordings, especially since both recorded sounds happened in the 70's, I wonder if they are similar equipment.
champion (3 stories) (172 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-19)
Update! I heard the sounds again! I was on youtube watching the top fives and tens of scary stuff. In the final recording of JIm Jones when you hear kids crying in the background as they were dying you can hear that awful thing. Just search it and you can hear for yourself. Shivers went up my spine knowing that evil was their at the worst mass murder suicide in America, what nearly took place on Thanksgiving day in 1975 at Pa's for that thing to be there? You can't describe the sound but if you listen you will agree that it is evil.
champion (3 stories) (172 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-28)
RabbitHeartedGirl- I've been saving that one for another story but it was a happy experience and not scary! I might get enough time to get it posted in a week or so but everytime I try the site is down trying to get caught up.

Thanks,
Robert
RabbitHeartedGirl (2 stories) (19 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-27)
Hi Champion
I'm just wonderin what was the experience you had recently?
champion (3 stories) (172 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-26)
Thanks to everyone for your comments. The story was easy to write but some of the discussion posts were not easy especially the ones about my grandfather and brother as my Pa has been dead since 1998 and I still miss him and my brother just aint my brother anymore and hasn't been for 20yrs and we haven't spoken in fifteen years and haven't even spoken to my mom and dad in nearly two years. So its hard to talk or write about them.
LavenderSoda (1 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-23)
Oh my!
This story certainly gave me the chills just imagining something like that. That would be awesome if you still had the tape, though it may be even more frightening to know what it actually said...
TruthInDarkness (4 stories) (259 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-22)
BTW, I also used to have one of those recorders and loved to do comedy type stuff both alone and with friends when I was a kid. Great memories! I too wish I still had the recordings. Some of the stuff was hilarious!
TruthInDarkness (4 stories) (259 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-22)
Miracles - champion might not have evidence, per se, but he does have people that can corroborate his story; his parents and his cousins. The fact that this voice frightened his parents rather than them passing it off as one of the kids being silly gives the story a lot of credibility. I know that I'm preaching to the choir here as you also believe that it is true. I just wanted to point out that he definitely wasn't the only one to hear the voice or react to it in much the same way.

You're story is very well written. Thanks for sharing.
champion (3 stories) (172 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-19)
Lilady4, I haven't spoken to my parents in a year and a half but a couple of years ago mom told me about something in the house that she couldn't see but when it walked the carpet would pull up like static electricity. As I stated in a previous post I think my mother is the one that is haunted or maybe my brother is possessed.
Lilady4 (7 stories) (427 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-18)
Wow, what a very creepy experience here, champion. I'm sick of EVP's that I can't hear (as I'm partially deaf). This EVP would've been very interesting to hear, and of course to analyse today. Does the House still have paranormal activity? Is the House still standing? I just want to know what happened to the house, so I can find out if it really was haunted or just an isolated incident. Thanks for sharing your story.
Love & Light, Rachel ❤
champion (3 stories) (172 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-18)
Madyrina, I haven't spoken to anyone except on here.

Delsol, this was how everything supernatural in my life began as if it was introducing itself, maybe the same for you. It could be an introduction to that realm? Do you remember if you could still here what was going on in the background or did it just drown everything out?
Delsol (2 stories) (13 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-18)
Champion, it is funny you should post this. Just days ago I also remembered a similar event from my childhood; hadn't thought about it in years. In our case, like yours, the EVP was VERY loud; much louder than we were, only it spoke no language, was simply a horrible growling, roaring sound like a lion or wild beast. By 'loud' I mean it reverbrated the speakers on the stero when played back. It was a brand new tape. At the time we told ourselves it must be a defective tape - some kind of flaw from the factory, but we didn't know about EVPs back then. I remember not wanting to accept the explanation because it obviously wasn't a mechanical noise. Very creepy! Anyway, just wanted to share that bit of a story with you since the two are so similar! Hope to hear more of your experiences... D. 😁
Madyrina (68 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-16)
How incredible scary and probably extremely traumatizing to young childern. Do you ever talk about the evp with the other people that were there?
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
13 years ago (2011-07-13)
510mot - glad to see you again😊 And you're definitely right. You don't have to understand the words to know it's nothing good.
510mot (3 stories) (262 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-07-13)
I know exactly what you mean. The sound they make goes through you, leaving you not quite numb but definitely different. I had a phone interruption that fit the description you gave. The language eluded me, even though I have been exposed to quite a few of them. One thing for sure, you don't need to know what they're saying to know it isn't anything nice. 😨
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+3
13 years ago (2011-07-13)
champion - I had an experience as a teen that makes confidently say I understand and believe without any doubt the things you are saying about your uncle, great-grandfather and your brother and the evil in that home. This is why I believed your story without hesitation.

Sometimes that evil just seeps into the walls and floors and soul of the home. Maybe one day, when the time is right, I'll share my experience. But for now, yeah, I wouldn't be visiting either. It took an Act of God to get rid of the evil in the home I grew up in.
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-07-13)
great story 😁 thanks for sharing.
Like miracles said in a comment some people might dissmiss this one with you being so young at the time BUT there is a "feeling" around this one that is screaming "truth"
You have said you could not understand the words but the voice was scary, a story that was
"not quite true" would have dragged that out for ages, the voice said we were all going to die or it was comming for us that kind of drama that is so "amitiville horror movie" bull.

Im glad you decided to add this realy enjoyed it and in sorry to hear it still scares you to this day.
Carl
champion (3 stories) (172 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-07-13)
yeah, me too. I haven't been there in years but my mom and dad live there now and when we talk she says its still there. My brother stays with them a lot and sometimes I think he has been taken over by whatever this thing is. That is why I haven't been there in years because I have a restraining order against him for coming to my home at one in the morning and trying to knock my head off. He's not my loving big bro that I remember and when he does gain control its only for a short time. He once told me when he was about fifteen that something woke him up and that he couldn't do anything (like sleep paralysis) and then something whispered in his ear "whats the matter can't you move" after that he started smoking pot and drinking and hanging out with our uncle and I believe this thing took him that night but my mom and dad still coddle him like a baby and bail him out when he goes to jail.I'll never go back not even to see my parents, I don't want this thing following me home to my family!
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-07-13)
I wish you still had the recording as well. It has been my experience it is difficult to obtain true, high quality EVP's. At your ages when this occured, I would be suprised if it had not frightened you-it frightens me just thinking about it! Whew!

Thanks for sharing!
God Bless!
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+3
13 years ago (2011-07-13)
champion - I hope and pray that sometime, somewhere, somehow he got what he deserved and then some. 😐
champion (3 stories) (172 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-13)
my grand mother the one that was raped/molested by her father told me once that her and her sister used to hide behind the chimney and pray to god to kill him, that's how bad it was for them.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+3
13 years ago (2011-07-13)
champion - I am a firm believer that animals sense evil. Even when people try to hide it, animals can feel it.

I could say a lot of bad things about your great-great grandfather, but I won't. One thing I will say, though, is I believe when evil like that happens, even when that evil person dies, he could have stayed "attached" to your grandmother and she might not have known. So, yes, she could have been "haunted."
champion (3 stories) (172 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-13)
Miracles51031 I wonder if it is the same thing? I don't think the house itself was haunted but some of the things my mother told me makes me think she was the one that was haunted. My great grandfather on my mothers side who died long before I was born had a reputation of being an evil man and had raped his daughters, one being my grandmother. They said you could hear him whistling a tune a mile away and all he had to do was look at a dog and it would holler, tuck tail and run.
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
+4
13 years ago (2011-07-13)
Like the poster have said, it is really freaky to hear something like that at a young age. Also, Miracles is right in saying that even though it would be great to have that piece of evidence to show us but it isn't really necessary because you put it all out there without giving into that WOW factor. Although, I never experience EVP for myself, I wholeheartedly believe you.
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-07-12)
Oh wow, I think I would have freaked out too if I heard that. Your description of the voice gave me the chills. So this evp showed up on the tape as you were listening to the play back and none of you heard it with your own ears? That was a great catch, and I'm sure all of today's ghost hunters would be amazed if they caught something like that. 😊
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+5
13 years ago (2011-07-12)
champion - you know, a lot of people might not believe your story because you have no evidence to back up your claim and you were a child when this happened. But I've heard that evil voice before. The one that, no matter how many years it's been, you just can't forget it.

If someone were to ask me if I believe your story, based solely on what you've said, I'd have to say "yes, yes I do." Sometimes there isn't anything else that needs to be added. This is it, this is what happened. I believe you.
champion (3 stories) (172 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-07-12)
the house was built by my grandfather and my uncle, what's really weird is my grandfathers a preacher and the most righteous man I've ever known but my uncle was the most nefarious man I had ever known, I think he did things to just spite his father. Who knows what foul things he done? The bedroom I mentioned was used by my uncle for many years as he had two failed marriages and didn't want to work so he stayed home and let Pa keep him up. The EVP wasn't the only thing associated with that room as my uncle used to tell of a tall skinny dark figure with a hat that sat on a treelimb outside the window at night and watched him and a few years later a great aunt from Texas came to stay for a week and slept in that room and thought their was a peeping Tom and described the same thing as my uncle had, a tall skinny person with a hat on but it was too dark to see anything other than an outline and everyone in my family used to see a red orb circle the house in a counter clockwise motion several times a year but if my grandfather ever saw anything he kept it to himself. My pa and uncle are both deceased now and I haven't been around there in years so I don't know what happens now.
sarahmariacecilia (3 stories) (105 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-12)
Wow this is so creepy! I wish you could have somehow kept the tape, althought its probably best that your parents burned it. Have you done any research on the house? Thank you for sharing the story with us. 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: