You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Doppelganger

Real Ghost Stories

Doppelganger

 

This happened a couple of weeks ago while I was at work. I am in the Navy so my work happens to be on a ship with a crew of about 250 people. And the ship is only 509 feet long, so fairly small compared to most navy ships people think about.

A couple Of weeks ago I was heading down a ladder to the main deck on the aft end of the ship. On my way down the ladder with our First Lt I had ran into let's say her name is "Sarah". She was heading to the quarterdeck, which happened to be on the flight deck even further aft, with a bag of trash. As I got to the bottom of the ladder she had bumped her bag of trash into my leg I felt it distinctly as it brushed into me. And she continued walking towards the flight deck to take out the trash. I had continued on my way walking forward on the main deck when not only but 1 minute later I saw her again, empty handed, with no trash. I hadn't even traveled 40 feet from were I had last seen her. Now when I say the ship is small, it is not any where near small enough to make it out to the pier back on and be heading aft again with no trash. She wouldn't have even been able to drop the bag off head to the T shaped P-way about the half way point of the ship and to me. Not even in a full sprint.

This all put me in a state of confusion for what I just saw. So I asked "Sarah" if I had just seen back by the ladder and she replied no. In which I had replied I could of sworn I just saw you with a bag a trash. And she replied that I hadn't. So I blew her off with a not quite convince okay. And continued on. My First LT who was behind me the whole time said she was just messing with me about it and he saw her as well.

So later on in the day I had to just ask again to make sure she was being serious and she kept the same answer. Sarah isn't the type of person to mess with people for no reason like that. I know her face when I see it. It is a small crew I know everybody on board when it come to faces and names.

What do you guys think doppelganger?

Other hauntings by Reggieaz20

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Virginia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Reggieaz20, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Odynia (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-06)
Hmm, this reminds me of a time when I used to live in a house that was kind of haunted, but it was more of the peaceful and not really uneventful type.
Except for this one time I walked into the living room and my brother asked me "Were you in the dining room just now?" I told him that I had just been in my room on the other side of the house, he then told me that he had just seen me walk through the wall in the dining room.
I'm pretty sure I've never walked through the dining room wall, so I doubt it's a projection of something I usually did.
He had freaked me out so much that I convinced him that he hadn't seen it, I think I was trying to convince myself more though, haha. I'm such a wimp, I haven't remembered that 'til now when he brought it up.

Also, I like how you gave her the name "Sarah" cause my name's Sarah too:D
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-04)
I know what you mean Jav, I was actually thinking of another one just recently about a guy who was walking home or something and seen some bloke he knew but that guy was actually still alive but was deployed in Afghanistan. Weird isn't it? I think, Dopplegangers, projection, and Residual Hauntings may all be in the same boat. Definitely something to think about! 😊
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-03)
DARKNESS,
I was thinking the same thing. Remember the one where the girl looked up, then smiled and waved? She had curly hair that she straightened. But her Doppelganger had curly hair that day?
That's sort of what this one reminds me of. Makes you wonder about what is a Doppelganger really, huh? Like the old definition was wrong. Or maybe there's different kinds?

Jav
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-03)
Its funny over the last year or so I have heard more and more stories of residual hauntings of people that still walk this earth and are very much alive. The only differance is that in some Doppelganger experiences it has actually communicated with the person witnessing it. Whilst an alive residual experience this would not be possible.
Rook your idea on projection is also on the mark. Great story.

Thanks for sharing.

Dan
Reggieaz20 (4 stories) (18 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-03)
well DAZ that day I don't believe I was tired at that time, this was a few weeks ago. But you see I wasn't the only person to see her. The 1st LT on board saw her as well.
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-03)
Reggie, the reason I'd asked the question about you feeling exhausted or tired, was to see if subconsciously you were in a receptive physic state of mind, a lot of people do find themselves in this state, normally when just waking or just going to sleep... Now let's say that you weren't exhausted, it is still possible for some reason, you were put into this state or drawn into this state by an outer source... Now six one half a dozen for what ever reason and I would only be guessing... No one else has seen her walking around with trash?... So that would suggest to me that this experience was perhaps meant for you... Now here's the thing about being in a psychic state of mind... What ever you experience from a spiritual touch or bump does transcend into a physical one that the body can feel... That is why there are 100O's of stories here where people are touched all over the place right on the brink of going in and coming out of sleep... As spirits often interact with us and know it is there best chance to reach out to us on a physical level...now! If one is not in this state of mind, the touch or bump or kiss etc from our spiritual friends or foes or perhaps in your case residual energy can not be felt... Does that make sense? Could you imagine if it were possible for us to see and feel spirits 24/7?... This ability or gift we have and know as being physic is used to function in the next world so that we continue in physical form as we do here... For us here whilst living there is a breaker point that shuts out contact to the spiritual realm and for some reason you were able to break it for that brief period of time... The fact that she is still alive is just evidence of how these types of experience evolve, the fact she didn't respond to you being there suggest to me residual, as spirits can see us 24/7 and if it was someone else who passed I'm sure the experience would have been different.

Daz
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-03)
Reggieaz,

The 'physical touch' may have been 'mind over matter'...the fact that this was such a vivid 'sighting' by you and your 1st Lt (cool that you have a witness by the way) made you 'think' you felt the bag when in fact you may have 'kicked' your own pant leg... Or something like that...

I have no doubt you felt something... You have a witness to prove your not crazy... You both 'saw' this individual and yet she wasn't there at that moment in time...

It may not have been residual, but perhaps a 'projection' maybe she was thinking of her upcoming 'work load' and somehow 'projected' and 'image' of herself... My theory concerning the EMF 'adding' strength to what you saw still applies...

Just another possibility.

Respectfully,

Rook
Reggieaz20 (4 stories) (18 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-02)
I wouldn't think so. But I guess I am wrong. It is all Just a Weird Experience altogether.
bacchaegrl (506 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2011-08-02)
I don't know. That does sound pretty abnormal, making contact with it. But anything is possible, I think, in the paranormal realm. It could have just been a physical reaction to the thought of being touched by the trash bag. But who knows? It may have been a strong residual occurance, and the solidity may be there.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-02)
Reggieaz20,
That's what has been eating at me too. A recording wouldn't employ physical contact would it?

Jav 😕
Reggieaz20 (4 stories) (18 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-02)
Rook, Yes this would of been her first tour on board/FSA.
Aussie Not really creeped out I have only had one paranormal experience that has kind of creeped me out. And that was more of a poltergeist. Which is my story the FAN WAS OFF. The only this that really troubles and confuses me is the fact that It was not only a full body. I seriously felt the trash bag brush my leg as I reach the bottom of the Ladder well.
otteer (8 stories) (398 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-02)
Great story! I too saw a residual but of a now dead person. I find it interesting that you actually touched part of the residual, the garbage bag... So these residuals can be actually "solid?".Thats scary to me!
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-02)
Reggieaz, I do believe what you saw was a residual haunting... Interesting you saw her in physical form... I have had this experience a couple of times but usually they are more of an apparition for me... How was you feeling at the time... Were you tired, exhausted?...I haven't read your other stories but do you see those who have passed in physical from usually or as apparitions.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-02)
Reggieaz,

FSA Huh? Is it her First Tour as one or is she a 'repeat'?

If it's her first then (for those not familiar with Ship Board life) she's only been on board 9-12 Months and her rank is E-3 (or lower). New personal on board ship below a certain Rank are assigned as Food Service Attendants (FSA's). It's their job to help serve the food, clean the 'mess decks' (where the crew eats on board ship) and clean the serving trays and silver wear. It's a lot of work, I've done my fair share of it.

Based on a personal experience I know how hard and at times 'emotional' working as an FSA can be... This coupled with the High EMF environment it's possible that a recurring event was somehow recorded. Please keep us updated.

The USS Oscar Austin (DDG 79) is a good ship. Enjoy your tour. Of all the ships I was on (2 Knox Class Frigates (FFs') USS Aylwin (FF-1081), USS Trippe (FF-1075), 1 DD USS Conolly (DD-979). 1 DDG (USS Laboon (DDG 58) and 1 CVN (USS Roosevelt (CVN 71). The DDG was the Best... Yes the Carrier was cool but the DDG could get into ports that the Carrier was just to big for.

Fair Winds and Following Sea's.

Respectfully,

Rook (E-6 (OS1/SW) USN Retired)
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-01)
great story thanks for sharing.
Agree with the others though it does sound like a residual haunt, like you say she had no chance of getting rid of the trash in the time it took for you to see her again plus it was something she would do a few times a day.
Still interesting though
Carl
concernedwiccan (16 posts)
-3
13 years ago (2011-08-01)
its a residual you have seen the ship playing back a physical event its nothing to be alarmed about
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-01)
Reggieaz20,
Thanks for the reply. It still could have been a residual in this case simply for the reasons stated by Rook. The wiring along with her making that trek several times. Who's to say it would have to be done for a certain length of time if the recording was a physical event.

Jav
Reggieaz20 (4 stories) (18 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-01)
with my previous post being made I still want to make it clear that it is physcally imposable for her to have taken the Trash bag out to the pier and back when I saw her agian. It all happened in the matter of 1 to 2 minutes. Just wanted to make sure I didn't confuse anybody.
Reggieaz20 (4 stories) (18 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-01)
Thank you for the Comments. And you all are welcome for serving the country. Rook No I am on The USS Oscar Austin. And yes her sea tour is pretty similar.

Javelina, My ship was in port at the time This story took place.

Now what I didn't put in the story is She is currently a Food Service Attendant which is only a 90 day job for people. And she only started doing that job but 2 weeks ago. And she was in the same uniform as before. Now I don't know if that will change any of your theories. And just so you all know Food Service Attendant's do tend to take out trash ALOT. Typically about 4 or 5 times a day. Agian thanks for your comments I have really enjoyed them.
champion (3 stories) (172 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-08-01)
everytime I hear Navy or ship makes me think of all the stories about the bermuda triangle and makes me think that your ship may have passed through one of these space/time warps causing a lapse in time or something like that. Good story and thank you for your service to this country.

Champion
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-01)
Rook,
Thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for in this case. The "hows" of the residual. Cool!

Jav
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-08-01)
Reggieaz,

You wouldn't happen to be stationed on DDG 58 USS Laboon would ya? (I served aboard that one... First Underway CMTQ baby!)

Anyway...

SemiComma,

The O/P never spoke to the 'person' carrying the garbage bag... He didn't speak to the individual until just after... But before the person he saw on the ladder had time to return from taking out the trash, or even before they had time to drop the bag and walk back around the corner... The O/P then asked the individual if he'd just seen them carrying Trash off board... It was then that 'Sarah' replied 'No...it had not been her.'

I do not think the O/P meant to give the impression that they spoke with the 'apparition' (Doppelganger).

Reggieaz THANK YOU for posting this. It's very interesting and I enjoyed this very much. Please keep us posted.

Respectfully,

Rook
SemiComma (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-01)
While this may be a residual haunting, I find it a bit odd that "Sarah" replied. In a residual haunting, the entity typically repeats the same event over and over again, without anything changing, like Jav's story about the grandmother. In what you're describing, however, the entity replies to your questions. Unless you coincidentally asked her the same questions she was asked before her death, this is not residual.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-08-01)
Jav,

Interesting thought about this being a possible residual 'type' Haunting. Let's put together a possible scenario...

'Sarah' has been a crew member for her 'sea tour' (I'm retired Navy so I know how long these can be). So 3-4 years (My rotation was a 4yr Sea to 2yr Shore). She has carried the trash out this same way from 'the shop' for her entire time on board.

This is a very repetitive chore, happens about the same time every day of the week... Add the repetitive Nature of this to the High EMF fields that exist (can exist) on board a Ship... All the wires for power, communications, and even TV. Run along the cable runs through each passageway, ladderwell, workspace and berthing space. All of this could create an environment that supports the recording and playback of 'simple events'...

Anyway, just a Theory...

Respectfully,

Rook (Retired E-6 (OS1) USN)
kayako_21 (3 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-31)
the ghost has a daily routine., to throw a bag of trash., we don't know that the ghost like the beauty of sarah., so the ghost emitating sarah.,
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-31)
Now, in the case of the grandmother, it was a walk she made regularly. The two houses were on the same property, and grandma would always just walk in without knocking all the time. It was expected. It was when she didn't say a word as she passed and didn't come back out the door that set his goosebumps up.
So for this instance here, it would fall into that type of category for the regularity of the action. Did Sarah normally follow that same routine? Being a veteran, I can only offer a probably to that question.
My question here is how it records itself in this instance. What was it in that environment, that lent itself the properties to allow this to occur?

Jav
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-31)
See, that's just the thing. What is it that makes some residual hauntings so terrifying as opposed to others that are more routine? We can understand if it was a traumatic event, it would practically tattoo itself on the environment. But we have heard several stories just like this one. One where a grandmother just walks past him in the driveway and enters the house but never comes back out, and wasn't in there when he went to search. Others are much the same. Simple movements, nothing very frightening, just odd.

Jav
Juniper (2 stories) (37 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-31)
As to the residual possibility and the person still being alive, I have seen this happen. But I would think the residual part would be an important part of that persons life... Not taking trash out? Though I'm sure serving in general was a big part of her life, odd that it would happen so current. She was obviously the same age in the residual as she was at the time. So based on that thinking, which is just a theory, I would say its more dobbleganger, unless something traumatic happened to her around that age that you didn't know about. (like maybe one day she took the trash out like normal and was raped afterwards by a crew member) then it would make sense to me to replay, that was obviously just an example.

Thank you for serving
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-31)
lynrinth just made me think of something else! OK, when it's a residual haunting, they say that one reason is the type of rock and mineral content in the area of the sighting that has something to do with the reason it was able to be recorded in the first place, right? Your ship sits where? Were you docked or out at sea when this occurred? This could really be the difference, I think anyway, between it being doppelganger or residual.

Jav

And I, too, thank you for serving our country. 😊
lynrinth (guest)
+2
13 years ago (2011-07-31)
Ooooooh! I definitely agree with Javelina. Just LOVE stories like this. *rubbing hands together gleefully* There are stories on this sites where people swear where they see a person, and then shortly see them in another location, and how the hell did they get to that location so fast? Has to the how's and why's this sort of supernatural event happens... Who know? THAT'S what makes this type soooo interesting and scary at the same time. Maybe there has been reports of other type of paranormal things happened there? It's a interesting story, and always great to read. And THANK YOU for serving our country. Best of luck to you.

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: