You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Lady In The Dark

Real Ghost Stories

Lady In The Dark

 

This is a story narrated to me by my father. As I mentioned in my previous story, my father was in the Indian Defence Forces and was naturally quite a martinet. He had absolute control over his emotions and fear was something he was trained not to feel.

The incident I'm about to narrate to you happened around 30 years ago, much before my birth.

My father was visiting his parents after taking a break from his official duties. It was a small family gathering as his cousins had come over. The backdrop was a semi-rural town in eastern India.

As the sun set, my father saw off the last of the relatives at the railway station, about 3 miles from his home. By the time he reached around the last bend before his home would appear, it was dark.

To give just a little glimpse into the setting that was around, it was early 1980's in semi-rural India. The streets would be lit by gas-lamp street lights about 200 metres apart. The village lay in the middle of dense vegetation and the home had a pond right in front of it, beyond the perimeter wall.

The home stood by the road that came out of the bend that my father approached. Anyone could clearly see the home, about 200 metres, down the road on the right. So if he were to walk towards his home, the home would be to his northeast, the pond to his right and the dense jungles on the left. The next gas lamp lighting the street was right outside the gates of this home.

As he walked towards his home, he saw a lady in a white sari (a traditional Indian dress for women) walking ahead of him. Quite dismissive of it all, my father walked as usual at a brisk pace as his home neared. What he noticed now was that the lady was infact not walking, but rather gliding forward. I remember my father telling me that it was dark as the next light was still a bit far away and he swore he tried explaining to himself that the sari covered her feet and it might have given off the impression that she was gliding.

A bit startled, he walked faster until he started overtaking her. By this time, the lights from the lamp outside his home was falling on his face and hence on the lady's face too. As a gentleman may be, he did not try to stare at her but tried to have a glimpse of her appearance. What he told me was surprising. As he looked from the corner of his eye while overtaking, he observed that there was no face at all. It was like a piece of cloth outlined by nothingness into the body of a woman. He felt usually unnerved at that time. My father rushed through the remainder of the road and reached his home, bolted the gate and turned back to see.

As he looked out of the window for the last time, he could not see much of the road but there wasn't anyone else out there.

My father does not know what it was, but it tested his bravery that day.

Other hauntings by bigindigo

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, bigindigo, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Sakie (1 stories) (23 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-11-17)
Sooky incident, awesome narration. Cheers to your dad for his sheer display of courage and chivalry!
instant_crush (1 stories) (30 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-15)
my mum's dad (my grandfather) was from bangladesh who later migrated to kalyani, WB post some war (my history ain't good). He often used to talk about these gliding thingies following him when he was living in kalyani. Not only that, it felt like these spirits were kind of agitated. As if they didn't want to be there but were stuck...! Maybe different things, or maybe same but still freaky as heck!
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-19)
Good story, nice narrative and a fluent use of language. 😁 Reminds me of a story related to one of my ancestors, narrated to me by my father... Stilll give sme the chills. Will post it someday...
Thanks
Regards
Sidharth_XX (3 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-09)
hmm indeed a scary story! Identical Incident happened with my Grandfather but it was another matter... Neverthless Nice story! 😉
bigindigo (2 stories) (7 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-10)
hey champion,

Thanks for those kind words.Yeah,there is too little time in life to know so much around the world. I try soak up as many cultures as time allows.I'm currently in the Pacific Northwest and I too read up a lot about the stories here via this site.Hopefully,I would see those places in those Spokane stories 😊
champion (3 stories) (172 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-10)
bigindigo- I'm really glad you posted this story! I am from the U.S.A. And when I get a chance to read about different cultures from around the world and learn more about the people that we all share the planet with its a pleasure. Your story is similiar in nature to the weeping woman, look it up sometime and again thanks for sharing.

Champion
bigindigo (2 stories) (7 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-10)
Hey Ninja,
I just read about Noppera-bo,quite interesting but I guess the apparition my dad saw was hollow in terms of the appearance, but thanks for reading and appreciating it.

MABS SITH LORD - This is where it gets co-incidental.This story is from the southern part of W.Bengal and the similarity is eery. So my father was right. I appreciate you shared this experience. I perused that again. By the way, my father's ancestors were from mymensingh,bangladesh. 😊
Mabs_Sith_Lord (72 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-10)
Bigindigo,

Thankyou for posting your story! Let me start off by saying that your father wasn't seeing things - he did indeed see a spirit! You see, seeing women in White Sari at an ungodly hour, or at midday around 2.00 p.m, when the sun casts no shadow - is, or WAS quite common in rural places across the Indian sub continent. And whatsmore, they arew not women in the natural sense - but female spirits!

I am of Bangladeshi origin, my father and mother were from Bangladesh, but I am British born, a British Bangladeshi if you will. And I remember my mother telling me stories of how little children were snatched away by these beautiful she-devils dressed in white sari's.

She herself had an encounter with one these female demons; she was around 8 years old, playing by herself behind her village. She too like your father, lived in a rural place. Anyway, all of a sudden before her, maybe a few yards away stood this immensly beautiful, faiir skinned woman dressed in a white sari! It had a big, red live chicken in her arms, and she was signalling my mum towards her. Without saying anything, just using her arms to draw her close so she (my mum) could touch the red chicken. My mum told me that immediatly she felt something very sinister about this woman, she seemed 'otherworldy. Just then she heard her mum (my grandma) calling her, and headed towards her home. But as she looked back, the ghostly woman was nowhere to be seen! It was as if she vanished into thin air! To this day I'm thankful my mum did not approach that female devil, or else who knows, maybe I wouldn't be sat here talking about her encounter!

So thereforre, I for one do believe your story about your father's encounter with the white sari spirit! But sights like these, where people could bump into a spirit whilst walking home - is a rarity now.

Oh, one more thing, spirits esp in the Indian Sub continent, are known to 'glide' over the ground, not walk! As my own father can testify! He was a trainee teacher way back in the early 60's in Bangladesh. And he told me once how he too, like your own father, saw a person, a man dressed all in white, GLIDING along the road at night! But I guess that is another story I'll talk about another time!

Thanks!

MABS SITH LORD
ninjaz007 (9 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-10)
I wonder if your father saw a Noppera-bo. Their supposed to be harmless, only wanting to scare people. Good story, it's going in my favorites. 😁

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: