You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Photographs / Videos / EVP :: For The Record, Odd

Real Ghost Stories

For The Record, Odd

 

I must preface this story by telling that I no longer possess the tapes mentioned; the tapes, two originals and two copies of the second tape, vanished.

Back in late nineteen ninety, I bought an AM-FM cassette recorder, an inexpensive model. When I got it home, I plugged it in, turned on a local station, inserted a brand new cassette, and set it recording through the system. When I played the tape back, over the music was an odd rushing sound, like a stiff breeze blowing across the mike. However, there was no breeze in the apartment, and anyway, the machine was recording internally.

The machine recorded normally when carried outside, and ran on batteries.

About a month later, Dave and I were talking on the phone-he and Buddi, as usual, were coming by for the weekend. He mentioned the tape, and asked me if I'd recorded anything else; I hadn't. I told him that, as soon as I got off the phone, I'd buy a couple of blank ninety minute cassettes, and we'd see what we might pick up.

When they arrived, Dave and I placed the recorder in the front room, which I used as a bedroom- the three of us would be in the next room, with the connecting double doors closed. We started the tape, and walked out of the room, closing the doors behind us. While it was recording, we entered the room twice-once, to check on a loud noise in the room, like a large book being slung across the floor; I owned a dictionary of that type, but when we entered the room, it was in its usual place, and nothing else out of place. (On the tape, you can hear the doors slamming open, and Dave and I entering the room, but not the sound that brought us in there.) We also went in to turn the tape over.

When we played the tape back, the first thing we noticed was a sound like a large machine, or engine, which is heard all through Side 1-someone compared it to the sound of an old-fashioned iron lung. Also, a young woman can be heard speaking, indistinctly... The voice sounds like Buddi, but she was asleep on the sofa at that time-she woke up just before we went in to turn the tape over.

There were other voices, of men, other women, of a child crying, all muffled, as if at a distance. Someone, a woman, is singing, and three times, we heard the sharp CRACK! Of someone being slapped hard across the face. Laughter, metallic sounds, faint music, all these were recorded, although we heard nothing. As mentioned before, the loud crash, and the smoke alarm going off in the hall, did not record. The footsteps we often heard were heard in the hall, but did not record.

Side 2 was just the normal hissing of a tape running through a recorder, with no sound loud enough to be picked up.

I made two copies of this tape, giving one to Dave and Buddi, and one to another friend. Each tape was subtly different from the others, 4-X, on the first copy the sound of a book crashing is missing, although it was on the original, and the other copy.

One of the copies carried street sounds, including a fire engine and a train; logically, the original should've had them, as the room the recorder was in faced Broadway, with the railroad tracks about five blocks north.

I had the original for two years after I moved from 1444 Broadway, and played it periodically. By this time, I'd moved to Cleveland, and Dave and Buddi had moved into the apartment above me.

We were at their apartment, entertaining a mutual friend, when Dave decided to play what we referred to as "the mystery tape" for this person. After searching all through his den, where their tapes were stored, we realized it was gone. I went downstairs, to get the original; it was missing from where I'd last seen it, and could not be found.

When we next talked to the friend who had the other copy, we found that hers was missing, also.

To be honest, I was somewhat relieved... Whenever the mystery tape was played, the atmosphere in the room got heavy, and almost icky-once when it was played at my place, a friend of mine left the room, and refused to come back until the tape was stopped.

At the time, I'd never heard of EVP, which was something I learned about after starting to listen to "COAST-TO-COAST AM" back in 1999.

For the record...I've never been tempted to try it again.

Other hauntings by alandhopewell

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, alandhopewell, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Mountaineer (4 stories) (176 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-06)
This is a pretty freaky story... Its just that those stories where the only evidence mysteriously vanished bug me a little... Just makes it look suspicious. I'm not trying to call you a liar or anything, I'm just a really skeptical person. 😜
reneespring (148 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-06)
To alandhopewell: you seem to want to capture evidence of spirits... Yet you claim there are only demons and angels, no human spirits (ghosts) to interact with in reality... Then why bother to try to capture EVP's? According to your own beliefs, you only record demons, so why bother? As a CHristian, that would be like swimming in a cess pool. Do you, as a Christian, really want to bother with listening to demons and giving them a stage to perform on? I am just basing my question on what you state your beliefs are... My beliefs are quite different/expansive. Why do you want to play with demons, since that is what you would be doing by recording EVPs, if your belief system is as you say.
TruthInDarkness (4 stories) (259 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-30)
Alan - I like your stories because they are detailed. I've never, to my knowledge, caught any spirits on tape. I used to do a lot of silly stuff on tape between ages 10 and 18 or so. Comical stuff. I used to personify (not imitate) Monte Python. I also created my own character. I talk show host named John Berry. I wish I still had the older tapes. They mysteriously went missing a few months after I made them. I still have one from when I was about 18. A comedy show complete with intro music. Honestly, I think my earlier stuff was funnier.

Anyway, I actually hope to capture EVP's some day. I agree with Rook. I don't think that you are summoning or channeling a spirit when you record EVP's.

I am a bit confused as to why the devil (for those who believe in such) would try and deceive people about the afterlife. Where's the motive? If anything, the devil would be the one whispering in your ear that there is no afterlife; hence, our fear of death as being the ultimate end. Otherwise, I'd think people would welcome death; especially if they are suffering from chronic ailments in life. Yet, when those with such ailments pray for death, their prayers often go unanswered... At least long enough to prolong their suffering. Honestly, I'd have to ask why god (for those who believe in the Judeo-Christian view of god) would be so mean as to allow a person to continue to live in agony after they have prayed for death. If the person is evil, wouldn't the devil snatch them up just as quickly? Logically, the devil has no reason to make an evil person suffer; especially in the afterlife. In fact, they should be best buddies. Why would an evil entity torture an evil person or spirit? It doesn't make sense. Does god torture a good person or spirit? Based on what I've previously stated, I'd have to say, "yes."

So, doesn't it seem as if the roles are reversed? While the devil entices people to do bad things and rewards them both in life and death, god allows good people to suffer in life --and possibly death. Why would there be "lost souls" otherwise? Not lost as in evil. Lost as in have not gone "into the light".

Sorry about going OT a little bit. It's just that the whole system (as far as Judeo-Christian beliefs) seems a bit convoluted. Rigged even.

Anyway, EVP's intrigue me. I've heard some pretty wild stuff on various ghost hunter shows. Things that there's no way someone could fake with a simple digital recorder.
alandhopewell (28 stories) (145 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-19)
zzgranny: I sent a photo taken at the apartment to Chris Woodyard, who authors the HAUNTED OHIO series, and it vanished from her files; she told me that that wasn't uncommon.

BTW, the story that appears here under the title "What Was She", is in HAUNTED OHIO III under the name, "Hi-Level Haunt", as the bridge is sometimes called the High-Level Bridge by the old folks.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
13 years ago (2011-08-18)
Alan: Thanks for the clarification!...Well, all in all, this was a pretty creepy story... I have also heard of recordings, videos, etc becoming distorted to the point where they're unrecognizable... My daughter has a really cool video of a toy playing music "by itself", but when she tried to post it to youtube or facebook, only the first few seconds will upload, not the entire thing 😆...It's frustrating, because I'd like to post it here, I just don't know if it would be seen in its entirety 😆

As always, looking forward to more!
alandhopewell (28 stories) (145 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2011-08-16)
ROOK: When I say, "the Scriptures", I'm using the term as a synonym for the Bible.

In Daniel 12:2-3, Matthew 25:46, and Revelation 20: 14-15, we're told that there are only two destinations for the dead, i.e. Heaven and Hell.

2 Corinthians tells us that demons can alter their forms to decieve man.

1Samuel contains the story of the Witch of Endor, and commands man not to communicate with spirits lest he suffer the penalty.

Respectfully,

-Alan D Hopewell
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-16)
alandhopewell,

Scriptures, plural...that's a good start. May I ask which ones you refer to?

Please do not get me wrong, but I like to read them myself as it's been my experience that how things are written and how they are represented or used by people is... How shall we say it...ah...mis-represented. People will say 'This 'BOOK' Chapter ___ Verse ___ means this' and if they just read one verse further the whole meaning of it changes.

I agree that communication with Spirit's is not without risk, but I also believe that not all contact with the other side is so 'black and white'. It's not just 'Angels and Demons'. I've seen and 'done' to much to believe that.

Respectfully,

Rook
alandhopewell (28 stories) (145 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2011-08-15)
zzsgranny, 510mot: Thank you for picking that up... I was a little tired when I wrote this. No, the original didn't have that sound, although it DID appear on one of the copies. This was one of the really creepy things about this.

rookdygin: The Scriptures state that all spiritual activity is either angelic or demonic, and that angels ALWAYS give glory and honor to Christ Jesus...thus, any other manifeststion is demonic.

I believe this strongly, that Satan uses what we call the occult or paranormal to decieve people about the afterlife, and their need for a Saviour to have the kind of eternal life you'd want to have.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-08-15)
alandhopewell,

I do respect your opinion, but I have to ask how have you come to this conclusion?

EVP for the most part does involve a question and answer session with a Spirit or Entity. It does not however involve asking one to 'come across' and answer questions as is the case with a Ouija Board. So there really is not any invitation for any Spirit or Entity to 'come and hang around'.

An EVP session 'engages' a Spirit / Entity that is ALREADY present or may be done as the O/P here did... By setting up a recorder in an empty room and going back and listening to see if anything 'strange' was captured. In this case (situation) no invitation was given at all. Just turn on the recorder and walk away.

So EVP's, in my opinion, are benign, while they may give an Entity or Spirit already present some recognition no 'door ways or portals' have been opened as is the case with a Ouija Board.

Respectfully,

Rook
510mot (3 stories) (262 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-14)
Once again, Granny beats me to the punch. Evp is probably the most exciting development in the field of paranormal investigation. So of course this story caught my eye. I too noticed the contradiction. Hope to hear back from you soon.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
13 years ago (2011-08-13)
Alan: In the spirit of keeping us all on our toes, I think I may have come across a discrepency in this account...I'm not saying that it's untrue, and I don't think it's time to raise the BS Blankie alarm yet 😆...But, it concerns the loud noise that prompted you to go into the room and check things out...

Twice you mentioned that the original recording didn't pick the noise up:
" (On the tape, you can hear the doors slamming open, and Dave and I entering the room, but not the sound that brought us in there.) "
And:
"As mentioned before, the loud crash, and the smoke alarm going off in the hall, did not record."

Further into your story, you said that the original DID pick up the noise:
"on the first copy the sound of a book crashing is missing, although it was on the original, and the other copy."

Please clarify these points, if you will... Thank you for posting!
alandhopewell (28 stories) (145 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2011-08-13)
I cannot endorse EVP, as, like the Ouija board, it is an invitation to demonic spirits to come, and hang around... Believe me, you don't want that.

That oppressive atmosphere eventually permeated that entire building, until it took on, if you will, a spiritual reek of decay, and menace.
Madyrina (68 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-12)
Wow, that's incredible! At first I thought it sounded like you were describing some kind of ghost party or gathering, what with all the different people you could hear on the tape, but then with all the different noises on the other tapes...well, I don't know, that's just weird!

I've always been scared to do an EVP session myself, I've been trying to gear myself up to do one, now I don't know. ❤
jzinck (4 stories) (54 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-12)
EVP's are pretty cool huh! My sister, brother and I took a tape recoroder to a graveyard a few years ago after we had heard about them on some tv show. We started recording and nothing out of the ordinary happened until we got home and played the tape back. Close to the end of the tape as we were getting ready to leave was a little childs voice that said " FIND ME ". We also cannot find the tapes but what a cool experience to have huh! 😁

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: