You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Early Morning Bed Vibrations

Real Ghost Stories

Early Morning Bed Vibrations

 

Before I do any posting, I would like to clarify one thing: I am not sure at all if this was a ghost or not, because while I have experienced various hauntings personally, I still can never be sure. But still, this seems... Shall we say, appropriately paranormal.

It was this morning, and I woke with a start at the tap of my roommate, telling me that my alarm was going off. See, I have this weird alarm clock that can have a vibrating disc attached to it to provide, shall we say, that extra dose of chaos to jolt you awake when the pterodactyl shriek from the clock itself doesn't do the trick and had showed this to my roommate while I was moving in. I didn't attach it though, when I set the clock up that night. Bit of overkill.

I actually hadn't even turned on the alarm itself, and the disc was in a drawer about two feet below the bed. Even though my phone had the alarm set (just noise), it was more than an hour before it was supposed to go off. My alarm wasn't going off, so I went back to sleep.

My bed (mostly mattress), according to his testimony when I woke up that morning, had randomly started vibrating powerfully in one solid pulse, shaking me with it, unbeknownst to me. Just my bed, mind you. He had thought it was the vibrating disc. That disc wasn't connected to the clock, which wasn't even set for an alarm.

I hadn't moved the bed, he told me, and I was just along for the ride. There was nothing else in the room that could have done it. With no explanation for this event, I'm left to wonder what actually was going on. I'm stumped.

Any thoughts?

Other hauntings by EdgeOfFear

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Michigan

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, EdgeOfFear, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Madelffrey (3 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2011-10-30)
It wasn't a ghost.

...

Oh my god I'm so sorry...
EdgeOfFear (4 stories) (41 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-06)
Alright, I double checked with my roommate and he swears he isn't lying. Also, there are no washing facilities or train tracks even close to the room. Heavy brick walls, mind you.

And I know that alarm makes it seem like I'm a ridiculously heavy sleeper, but that was the only one I had to bring. I haven't used it for a while; stopped after I was able to sleep better in my Senior year of high school. I usually am not a terribly heavy sleeper, slight noises sometimes wake me up, as does my phone beeping. I surprised the vibrating didn't do it, that's one of the reasons it struck me as odd.
PrettyInPain (3 stories) (153 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-06)
zzsgranny- Thanks for fixing my mistake! I'm glad to relieve your deletion itch! Just think of me as your chalomine lotion! 😆 ❤
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
13 years ago (2011-09-06)
PIP: It's okay, my trigger finger's been itchin' to delete something! 😆 😆
PrettyInPain (3 stories) (153 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-06)
Eep! Sorry for the double post! I don't know how that happened. I didn't double click. 😢
PrettyInPain (3 stories) (153 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-06)
This is pretty interesting. I was going to suggest it could have been the aftershock of an earthquake, but your roommate said it was just your bed that was moving- so that doesn't explain it. My boyfriend recently got an earthquake application on his iPhone that vibrates every time there's an earthquake anywhere in the world; and I never realized how frequent earthquakes really are.

You might have been in the 4th stage of sleep (A.K.A. Rapid Eye Movement). It's the stage of sleep when you're dreaming and it's harder to be woken up because your body is not as sensitive to noise. I was sleeping in a jeep with my friend while we were camping, and the car alarm went off in the middle of the night. Apparantly, I slept through the whole thing. So I don't think you should feel too bad about the alarm (the super vibrate sound awesomeness alarm!) not waking you up! 🤔

I do think it's weird that both of these things happened together. I'm not too sure what you were experiencing, but I'm glad you shared this with us. 😁

Best Wishes,
PiP
old_dude (16 stories) (112 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-06)
I had a buddy in college that had a bed that bumped around... It turned out to be a rat! Lol
It was a clean room and everything, but the rat chewed a hole in the wall and was nesting in the bed.

Being you just moved there I'm guessing that is not your problem.

I would guess that either it is your roommate joking with you or your bed is picking up the harmonics of something else.

We had an apartment once next to the laundry facilities and every so often the bed (old spring type) would just start to hop. It wasn't really noticable but if you placed your hand on the floor you could feel the vibrations from the machines running next door. The vibrations were being transmitted through the hardwood legs of the bed.
We put gel packs under the feet of the bed and this stopped the vibrations.
BlueTurtle (3 stories) (176 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-06)
You must be one heavy sleeper if this story is true! But I'm sure you knew that, given the alarm clock. I wish I could sleep that soundly. One poke and I'm awake!
stephyw2001 (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-06)
Yeah I know of the alarm clock you speak of. They made those for deaf people, but people who are hard to wake also use them. For me, that would be total overkill.:-p Are there train tracks near you?
Mountaineer (4 stories) (176 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-06)
Could your roommate have been messing with you? And wow that clock does seem a bit overkill... Seems like something you would use to wake up a bear in the middle of winter.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: