You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ouija Board / Seances :: First Time With Ouija

Real Ghost Stories

First Time With Ouija

 

I've been reading this sight for a few weeks, stumbled on it looking for an explanation for something that happened to me a few years ago. Decided to post part of mine and my friend's experiences which explains the lead up to the part where it seems to have become mine.

My story has two distinct parts, with the main part involving me being the second. It's in that second part that I would like answers, but will wait too see if anyone expresses an interest in this first part which explains the situation that leads to me encountering something called 'Levi' which doesn't seem to leave me alone.

From vague memories of 'the man with the hat' that I spoke with in my room when I was younger, later confirmed by my mum who'd seen him (or at least shadows of him) as well. To the man that chooses to stand at the bottom of the hallway in my dads house on a regular basis; always intimidating but rarely threatening or scary. I've never doubted the existence of paranormal. In fact, I grew up extremely interested in it. Always reading about it but never venturing too far into putting anything into practice. But during my teenage years I found a handful of friends with the same interests and between us decided to give it a go.

Most of this took place over a period of a few weeks in the summer of 2006 in the town I grew up in just outside Glasgow. There were 4 of us who constantly took part, with a few others who joined on occasion. I was 14 or 15 at the time, my best friend Jamie who was also 14 or 15 along with my cousin Adam and his girlfriend Nicola both of whom were 16. After much discussion on the subject we decided on making ourselves an Ouija board. Being as naive as we were, although we were aware and had heard of the dangers of this, we didn't consider that anything untoward could happen to us.

The first attempt was in my own house, with my mum spending most days visiting my Gran a few streets away, we had free reign of the house. Nicola and I wrote out the letters, numbers, yes, no, hello & goodbye and cut the pieces out. We set them out on a small table in my room. Just to clarify, the lights were on and the curtains open whenever we used the board. We didn't really see any point in trying to bring in a spooky atmosphere; we just wanted to know if we could make some sort of contact.

After 5 or 10 minutes of messing around and moving the glass ourselves as you would expect from teenagers trying to scare each other, Nicola instilled some order in the room. We asked if there were any spirits who would like to talk and after some pointless, directionless movement, the glass slowly dragged itself to yes. I questioned it at first, assuming my cousin was trying to keep the joking about going, but he was looking at Jamie with the exact questioning disbelief I was giving him. After a quick minute or two spent assuring each other that none of us had moved the glass, Nicola looked to me too continue the questioning. I asked for a name and was given the response 'JIM'. I asked if there was any particular connection to someone in the room, 'YES' and the glass proceeded to answer my next question before I had a chance to ask and repeatedly moved between the centre of the board and Adam. I asked if there was any connection to me and was told ' NO' indicating it was the opposite side of my cousin's family.

Adam confirmed that was his granddads name was Jim, but he was still alive. After Adam told us this, the glass moved to the 'NO' and centered itself again. Jamie, speaking for the first time since any real movement had started decides to open with 'Has anything happened to Adams grandpa?' again the glass moved to no. He turns to Adam and asks what his great-grandpas name was, as Adam began to shrug his shoulders in response the glass moved to yes. Looking to Adam, I asked if there was any messages, the glass moved to yes (I should point out, that even at it's fastest movements, so far the glass was still moving fairly slowly and felt 'unsure' is the only way I can describe it). The glass began to spell out 'STOP' and 'CAREFUL'. But nothing anymore specific than that. Slowly the glass began to move more and more slowly and with less and less enthusiasm; for want of a better description, so we decided to say goodbye to 'JIM'.

Nicola, who I guess was the controlling element of our little group, insisted on continuing trying to use the board. Looking back, I feel this was mostly out of jealousy for the fact that Adam had caused such an interesting response and she hadn't. Every time we used it 'JIM' was sure to come through at some point with the same messages. Over the few weeks we were experimenting with this, Nicola became slightly bored with 'JIM' and made a number of comments on how irritating she considered his interruptions to be and his responses to her became notably more aggressive. The glass would spell out 'HER' move towards Nicola and then spell 'STOP' 'BOARD' & 'CAREFUL'. After some questioning and thoughtful input from Jamie we roughly established that 'JIM' didn't want Adam using the board and felt it was Nicola convincing him to do it.

Nicola laughed outright at this, and using a fair number of expletives, told 'JIM' to get lost. At this point the glass for the first time began to move what I can only describe as aggression. Spinning in circles. The temperature in the room dropped fairly noticeably and I became convinced of someone moving in the hall outside my room. Adam, trying to play the protective older cousin I guess, went to check. He opened the door to the hall to find no-one there, but we all heard the door at the bottom of my stairs slam, followed by what we discovered to be the television switched on. I was convinced it had been off, but allowed myself to believe it hadn't been and attributed the door to my cats chasing each other. Not very feasible I know, but I wanted something to convince myself that nothing overly scary was happening.

Returning to the room with Adam, we sat back down at the board with every intention of closing it. The moment we sat down again though, Nicola made a comment about 'JIM' thinking he was funny slamming doors. She immediately turned pale white, eyes glazed and stared into the corner of my room. Assuming at first that she was trying to scare us (for the attention) I told her to 'get a grip' and gave her a playful nudge, at which point I discovered she was freezing cold. Becoming rather worried at this point, I gave her shoulders a quick shake, no response. After around 30 seconds of shouting her name, Jamie eventually pulled her hand away from the glass. After much gasping as though she was out of breath, she appeared to get some color back although was clearly terrified. Insisting she was to be taken home, we closed the board and left to walk her home.

I spent most of the night texting her trying to get some explanation of what had happened, but the most she would say was that 'JIM' was some words that can't really be repeated on here. Within minutes of her sending that text, she had phoned me, informing me that a light bulb in her room had exploded and that she refused to stay there, she was going to Adams. I put this down to more attention seeking. But the next day, she insisted on going to her house so that we could see.

The glass had been cleared up, but the light socket was definitely blackened. Her dad blamed the wiring, but Nicola insisted on it being 'JIM'. She refused to take part in the board from then on, but insisted we tell him to leave her alone. Having no homemade board at hers, we resorted to holding a set of keys dangling above a piece of paper with a cross drawn on it with 'YES' written at the top and bottom and 'NO' written left and right, I forget what this is called, but had played about with it a few times since starting using the board and had had decent responses. Asking for Jim the keys swung to yes. Asking for Nicola to be left alone had a slightly less direct response in the form of her CD player switching itself on. There were no alarms or timers set, I checked myself. After promising Adam wouldn't touch the board if he would leave Nicola alone the keys swung to yes.

At this point I'm unsure exactly what happened, and feel it may border on the second part of my story. The keys became very cold and violent in my hand, spinning in circles. I asked if it was 'JIM' and get a definite 'NO' response, literally keys spinning in a circle coming to a dead stop before swinging quickly side to side, indicating NO. As this happened Nicolas bedroom door opened, not quickly, but slowly began to swing open. Adam tried to close the door and couldn't. I put down the keys and went to see what was in the way, nothing. Between the two of us, we managed to push the door closed. The whole time it felt like it was pushing back against us. At this point, I was pretty terrified myself and insisted on going home. But waited the 20 minutes it took Adam to say goodbye, so as not too walk by myself. The entire journey home, I felt like I was being followed. I'm now convinced I was.

But again, that's into the second part of my experience, which I'll post if anyone is interested.

Other hauntings by alexr23

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, alexr23, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

elnoraemily (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-15)
My father's experience with a board in his younger years taught me that no matter what you believe in, NEVER taunt a Ouija board. I'm a skeptic, but his story is convincing. Luckily, you are safe.
Ind15000 (14 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-31)
NEVER insult an ouija board spirit!
Anyway, I think JIM was warning your friend to stop using the board so that the evil spirit wouldn't escape! 😲
Try sprinkling the board with holy water!
Best of luck to you! 😊
wolfeyes72206 (32 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-31)
i have had bad luck with oujia boards but I have one and only use it when others are around or when I have someone with me... Just becareful and remember don't go to far if you do you could get hurt... Now about your story you def were being followed by an evil spirit from the board what ever he wanted then he didn't get and so it followed you. Be careful and God bless. 😁
loca_mocha (4 stories) (32 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-14)
Ha ha I just got a Ouija board and I'm very excited to use it! But I'm not sure if it will work... O well I guess I will find out soon! ❤
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-16)
Same as the others, I would love to hear the rest of the story. I will also wait until I have read your second story t comment, this way I don't say something wrong without knowing everything first.
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-15)
alexr23: Ahh the emotional turmoil associated with messing around with Ouija Boards. Great story and I look forward to hearing more from you.

Dan
quixoticqt (5 stories) (104 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2011-11-15)
AAAAHHH! 😨
This is a very intense story.
I'm glad that you decided that Ouija boards are not to be meddled with. *sigh*
Thank you for sharing the first portion of your story. I can't wait to read the next one.
❤ Qt
alexr23 (2 stories) (4 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-15)
Thanks guys,
Although I accepted what happened and wanted to share it, I always for whatever reason struggled to write it down. Little motivation goes a long way. So I've submitted the second part under 'Who Is Levi?' Should hopefully be published soon.

Kim: I read your story, safe to say your encounter must have been terrifying. But I think I'll be joining you in advocating that Ouija Boards are never a good idea.
MoonWolf (15 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-14)
That was a neat experience. I'm glad that "JIM" finally decided to leave Nicola alone. I would love to read the second part of this experience.
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-14)
very interesting story, and plenty of information too will have to wait for the second part to comment fully hope you get to post it soon.
Carl
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2011-11-14)
I find this encounter most interesting. I would love to hear the additional story. I myself have had a horrible experience with an Ouijia board (you can read it under my profile).

I want to hear more.

God Bless!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: