You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Motorbike Light

Real Ghost Stories

The Motorbike Light

 

It must have been the summer of '81, when Nicky, our eldest daughter, started pestering us to go to a Disco! The answer was "No! Definitely not! You are far too young!" Over the next few weeks, she wheedled and cajoled; begged, pleaded and threatened! Eventually, her Dad and I came to an agreement with her. Dad said, "Okay, on one condition, Mom goes with you!"

Nicky's little heart was filled with joy, and news was quickly spread around the class at school! Before I knew it, I was chaperoning a car-full of young teenagers! Oh my goodness! What had I let myself in for? I had just become "Mom's Taxi"!

Thus, began "our Friday nights out!" Dad stayed at home, very obligingly, to look after our two younger girls.

I must add, at this point, that our daughters had a whole host of friends. Buzz bikes were all the rage, and most of the boys were riding these 50cc vehicles. Most of the girls could only dream of riding them. (Although Angel, our youngest daughter, attempted to ride one across our front lawn. She "popped a wheelie" before crashing into our pre-cast wall... Luckily with no damage to herself or the wall. The bike sustained serious scratches!)

When Friday nights came around, I had to seek out my slinkiest jeans, and a suitable foxy top; just so that I could "blend in" with the crowd. I didn't want to look like a chaperone, nor spoil their fun. (I must admit, though, I had lots of fun myself! Much to Nicky's disgust, lots of high school boys asked me to dance too.)

One Friday night, the station wagon filled to capacity, we set out for the "Disco" to have a "jol" (jolly good time). As we got to the big T-junction, Nicky, in the front seat with me, shouted "Mom, there goes Coenie!" I followed her pointing finger, to see a young man on a buzz-bike whizz past... Doing about 40km an hour. (More noise than speed on those things!) "Quick, mom, follow him. He is going in the wrong direction!" So, I obediently turned right, to follow said motor vehicle. Not a problem, I thought, not at that speed! So, off we set, in hot pursuit... What would we do with that noisy contraption when we caught it?

With the gang of kids in the back, urging me to greater speed, I diligently followed. As slow as that bike was going, I could not seem to lessen the distance between us. Soon the last of the street lights dwindled behind us... We were entering an area of small holdings.

Now, I was reduced to following a small red tail-light. With the kids behind me, literally breathing down my neck, I followed that little red light, like my life depended on it! The whole wagon-load of girls, cheering; whooping and shrieking as they egged me onward.

Suddenly, the red light made a right turn. I hung a right too! I soon found that we were now travelling down a dirt road with a "middel-mannetjie" (two tracks with long grass in between). Long summer grass brushed the wagon on either side. We bumped on... And on... Seemingly for ages. Then, right before our eyes, the light vanished! Gone! Poof! Just like that! No turning, or swerving... Just gone!

I stopped the wagon where we thought the light had disappeared. We all got out, and by the light from the headlights, searched the sides of the road for signs of a rider... A bike... A turn-off. Nothing! Not even a bent blade of grass could we find.

We eventually all piled back into the vehicle, feeling very disappointed at not catching our quarry. We went on to the disco that night, but the "fizz had gone out of the champagne." Coenie never rolled up later, as Nicky and Co. Were hoping. To tell you the absolute truth... I don't remember ever seeing Coenie again!

Other hauntings by Fergie

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Fergie, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-24)
Bizzjoe: I can't speak from experience, as we never owned one. We only had the Honda first, later a Kawasaki 1000, then upgraded to a Kawasaki 1300.

At our local annual "Buffalo Rally", you would see hundreds of Harley's, all bright and shiny... In tip top condition. I can't say the same, for some of the riders though... πŸ˜‰
bizzjoe (1 stories) (162 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-23)
anyone I know with a harley usually spend their weekends fixing it...
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-30)
Jav,
Times have changed! Back in our 'biking days' Harleys very few and far between, so much so, that when one appeared at a local 'breakfast-run' hangout, everyone would gather around... To gawk and admire.

I only got my bike license when I was 29 years old. I learned on a Honda 400cc. That was 'our' first bike. I thought that I was the 'bees' knees'! There are still very few female bike riders around... IF you see one, it is still like... WOW!
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-10-30)
Fergie,
These days it seems anybody can own one. Back in my day you had to earn it. Mom and dad didn't buy it for you either, you pieced it together from parts. Every pay day you would take the money you had left over and put it toward getting your bike up and running. When you finally got it road worthy you then had to deal with the Department of motor vehicles. That could take forever as well. But in the end, when you finally had it legal an took it out for it's first real run... That's a day you never forget.

Jav 😁
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-10-30)
Jav,

Harley's are awesome! But our pockets weren't that deep. They are the ultimate 'easy rider', but pretty expensive out here. Here in S.A., if you ride a Harley, it usually means that you have plenty money to throw around, and belong to the 'executive club'! πŸ˜‰
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-10-30)
Ooh! Luv nachos Jav, thanks.

The wine? A natural sweet red, from the rich wine-lands of Namaqualand (on our West Coast). I personally find it very palatable, but it's pretty potent! Three large glasses, and you are ready for bed! Not advisable to drink this before driving... So better to stay the night...

Our couches are comfy; if you are prepared to share with Zeus, our black Lab... But be careful, he is dangerous... He will lick you to death...Lol! ❀
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-10-30)
Fergie,
The bike? Thank you for asking, Harley Davidson has my heart and always will.

Jav
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-10-30)
Fergie,
I brought nachos! Just got them served up. So... What wine are we drinking tonite?

Jav 😁
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-28)
Jav,

It's right here friend, along with a big bib...Lol!
Just hold your glass steady, while I pour you a tall one. πŸ˜‰

Yeah, those 'buzz bikes' were a lot of noise and hardly no action. By the way, what bike did you guys have? We had a 1300 Kawasaki, fuel injection... Took us all over S. Africa.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-10-28)
Fergie,
The new brooms are the equivalent of those buzz bikes I imagine. I'll stick with my old standard, kick start, with the big comfy seat and a windshield, thank you very much. Gets me where I need to be and I don't have to comply with todays catalytic converters because it came out before they were made mandatory.
Yum! I'm famished! Where's a plate?

Jav 😁
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-10-28)
Hi Jav, sorry I took so long to answer, a nasty electrical storm blew up;had to shut things down for a few hours. 😒

What have I got on the grill? Besides the T-bones and shrimps, I have a dozen corn on the cob... Nicely buttered and wrapped in foil. I also have garlic loaves and potato salad... Lots of beer and wine to wash it down with. For pudding, I only have ice-cream with fresh fruit salad.

The music is on ~ mostly Motown Sound ~ but good for dancing away the blues!

Sorry to hear about your new broom ~ The things they make these days, they certainly weren't made to last! They might look flashy, but good engineering went into older models, and many have stood the test of time! Lol.

I hope the menu sounds enticing to you: I even have a comfy bed for you to rest, if the exertions prove too great, I know it is a long ride!

❀ and best wishes,
Fergie
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-10-27)
Fergie!
Long time, no see sista! Sorry it took so long to get here, that new model broom I got wouldn't start so I had to drop it off at the shop. That thing has been nothin' but trouble. Went back and got my old broom out of the closet, one good kick and she started right up. Sure don't make them like this anymore. It's a shame too, I still get good mileage though. One pint of witch hazel will take me at least 200 miles and back. And comfortable? It's the Cadillac of the old school brooms.
So, what you got cooking on the grill there lady? Smells great!

Jav πŸ˜†
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-10-27)
Thank you Ari, that is a great compliment!
I am flattered that you enjoyed my account that much. 😊
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-10-27)
Dear Fergie,
Just wanted to say that I added this to my favourite stories list.❀

Thanks
Regards
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-27)
Hey Jav my friend, 😊 come on over here... Have a change of 'air'; have a laugh at my expense. It sounds like you need it!

Please fly over on your broom, I have the cauldron boiling and lots of toads and newts for us to add! πŸ˜†
πŸ˜‰
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-09-14)
Shellzy, I just love your 'far out kooky idea'! 😁
I think you could be spot on - about the 'psychic energy' - there was an overload, in the vehicle that night! There was enough to project a whole gang of dashing young men, on motorcycles... Let alone one! Lol! The girls thought that these guys on their buzz bikes, were the best thing since sliced bread!
As you say, at least I had about nine witnesses that night, so it wasn't just me, seeing things!

I am happy that I could 'paint a picture' for you to share. Thank you for a great comment Shellzy.
shellzy (8 stories) (218 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-09-13)
Fergie! Fantastic story! I loved how you got into your 'slinkiest jeans and foxy top' you go girl! πŸ˜† I felt like I was actually in the car with you, with tight leggings, legwarmers and crimped up frizzy hair!

There is something most unsettling about following something that you are so darned sure is there, then poof! I's gone in a blink eye! At least you had a car load of screaming girls that saw it too as some confirmation it wasn't just you seeing this!

Probably a far out kooky idea but I wonder if the group of excited young girls were able to produce enough 'psyhcic energy' to manifest what they really wanted to see? And that was a popular young man riding a motorbike, and what girl wouldn't want that? Ha ha!

Thanks for sharing Fergie I really enjoyed this 😊
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-13)
Hi there Aussiedaz, good to hear from you.
I remember reading about your averted accident. Yes, the string theory could also apply in this case, I guess.
I never realized that there could be so many answers to a problem (?) my head is in a whirl!

Oh aussie, you have got me singing "Staying Alive" now! Just the thought of those disco moves... And the clothes! It was a pretty fun time, back then...eh? I think I 'grew up' with my girls... We became pretty 'tight' back then, before they drifted off on lives of their own...

Thank you for reading my reminisces, aussie, I am glad that you enjoyed them. Thank you too for the brilliant input.
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-13)
Hi Isandhu, a Doppelganger you say? Humm... I never gave it a thought, before! Well, I suppose that isn't out of the realm of possibility, is it? πŸ˜•

Gee! I am getting confused, there are so many answers out there; which is the right one?

Thank you so much for reading, and your theory. We did have quite an adventure!
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2012-09-13)
Hello Fergie and thank you for sharing your account and yes there's a few of us here who remember the colourful disco days of the 80's, us males with our mullet hair cuts and Harry high pants disco attire with our attempted John travolta dancing moves "OMG" thank god there was no mobile phones in thems days,lmao... These accounts fascinate me Fergie and recently I'd stumbled across some theories by some of the worlds best theoretical physicist... And what they do put forward is the string theory and the existence of parallel universes... They believe there is a universe running about 1 million th of a second near ours that would be exactly the same in contrast... According to them, we may also exist there as well? Perhaps that might explain the doppelganger sightings and your account and many others including my own... With this string theory they believe our universe is made up of these invisible strings that basically do vibrate and relocate at times? Hmmm is this ringing any bells?... It is during this vibration that both this universe and the other conform as one IMO... And what ever interaction is going on at that given time does seems apparent for both spaces occupied to abide by the road rules or where ever else it may occur? I know this seems hard to believe, but I hope the members at least give me a b plus for attempting an explanation lol... I wonder if the other vehicle and their occupant went home that night and wondered about the car behind them that disappeared? Thank you for sharing Fergie, I enjoyed reading it. 😁

Daz
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-13)
MizM, you certainly put forth a very good point there! Maybe it was a playful spirit; it certainly created a lot of excitement in our Chev. Commando Station Wagon that night. I was half deaf, before we even hit the Disco that night. The girls were shrieking so loudly, urging me to go faster... Yet we never seemed to get any closer to that darned buzz bike!
lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-09-12)
I suppose this could have been Coenie's Doppelganger. That is one phenomenon that confuses the heck out of me, so other than suggesting it as a possibility, I can't give you any answers as to why you might have seen it. Sounds like you had a bit of adventure and mystery, though, and a good story to tell.
MizMiMi02 (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2012-09-12)
Well that's great! I'm wondering if it just looked like him, and the spirit intended to give you a good chase just for fun. Lol
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-12)
MizM, Thank you for reading. I am positive now, that there was no death on that dirt road, that night!
My daughters' current boyfriend, 'bumped into' Coenie, just recently; he is still alive and well. Still living in the same town!
I am glad that you could have a good laugh. Nicky was not amused with those high school boys, asking me to dance. I found it highly flattering! (Good for the ego, eh?) πŸ˜‰
Thanks for the great comment MizM.
MizMiMi02 (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2012-09-12)
Excellent story Fergie! I must say that towards the end, I "felt" very sad for him. I am hoping it is as you said (change of girlfriend/circumstances), rather then him meeting his demise. BTW, I loved reading that your daughter was moritfied at the notion of you dancing with high school boys, I could picture it in my head and laughed out loud. Thanks!
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-12)
Hi Trix, Thank you for reading. 😊
It was through reading YOUR experience, "The Bicycle Light", that made me remember our experience! So, thank you Trix, for the 'memory jog' and the inspiration.
I got a reply from Nicky...no, she never saw, or heard anything from Coenie again,...strange eh?

Trix, you have given me pause, for thought. Was it really Coenie? Could Nicky have been mistaken? I just went blindly, on Nicky's word, I think the other girls did too! Oh my! Could it have been something else, that we were following? Now THAT is a scary thought! πŸ˜•

I am glad that you enjoyed our experience, it started out as being on the hilarious side, but I am not so sure, any more!
Trix (14 stories) (407 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-09-12)
Hi Fergie... Wow I loved reading this. It took me back to the bicycle light my cousin and I saw. Like the others I also can't help to wander about Coenie. Did he try to give you a message that night? Could it have been him? I think in a way one will always wonders about what happened to him. Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed reading your experience. Take care. Trix. ❀
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-12)
Hello SDS, Thank you for reading and commenting.
I have e-mailed my daughter, asking if she can remember what happened to Coenie; I am waiting for a reply!

The girls were as baffled, as I was, to the sudden disappearance of the tail light. At first, they were merely curious; the longer we searched, the more worried we became. I think we were all a little shaken, when we got back into the station wagon. When Coenie was not at the Disco, we were all very worried, as he used to be one of the 'regulars'!
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-09-12)
Hello Fergie, nice narration and thanks for sharing. While I finished reading the story, I felt what happened to Coenie subsequently. The question Rook asked is still in my mind. But you said that it is a small community and bad news spreads fast. But what happened to him? You can ask your daughter or her friends. Well, I also want to ask how your daughter and her friends felt when the tail light just vanished and you couldn't find any trace of it after you stopped.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-12)
Rook,

Thank you for your kind words.

Humm...Maybe I should have done some research first eh?
I am sure though, if something 'bad' had happened to Coenie, I would have heard about it. It was a relatively small community, at that time, and as you know, bad news travels fast.
I shall ask Nicky if she remembers what happened... Possibly only a change of girlfriend, or well... Who knows? With teenagers, anything is possible!

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: