You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Marie's Shadow

Real Ghost Stories

Marie's Shadow

 

In late 2003, at the age of 19, I met the man I would end up marrying a year and a half later. He had bought a 2 bedroom apartment with his mother, and not long after they moved in, his older sister fell on hard times and ended up moving in there as well. There was no room for her so part of the lounge became her abode. I had been visiting there off and on for a few weeks, when "Marie" started talking to me the one Saturday about the black shadow in her brother's room.

Since walking into the apartment the first time, I had always felt that there was something there, but it never bothered me enough to actually go looking for this thing. She told me it usually showed up and would just hover in the corner between his closet and his window. It never did anything more than that. Now I was aware that my hunch was right, and I saw it that night. It was not a clear apparition, it was just a shadow. It had the basic outlines of a person, but it never appeared in detail. It unnerved me nonetheless.

A few weeks later, I was visiting for the weekend. My boyfriend was working night shift and spent most of the day with me, but it was just us girls when he went to work. I felt very uncomfortable having to sleep in his room alone, so I dragged his mattress to the lounge and set it down right in front of the rocking chair they had. As I got myself settled down, "Marie" told me that the thing in the room now moved out into the lounge from time to time, so I should try not to get a fright if I might see it at some point. Wow, now who can fall asleep after hearing something like that? It took me a while but I finally dozed off. I woke up in the middle of the night, feeling taps against the mattress. At first, I could not place the feeling, only knowing that I was instantly nervous as I woke up. The taps were on the right side of the mattress; my back was turned to it. As I lay there, I suddenly had a feeling that I knew where the taps were coming from, and I turned my head toward the rocking chair. The chair was rocking all by itself, and the front part of it was tapping against the mattress every time it rocked forward.

I jumped up out of bed, grabbed my phone and ran out of the apartment. Standing outside I called my boyfriend and told him to come and get me right now. I was hysterical. He came to get me and I spent the rest of the night half dozing in a desk chair in his office.

The next day "Marie" proceeded to explain to me that this thing followed her everywhere she went. It had been in her house before and came with her to her brother's apartment when she moved in. She did not seem to mind that this thing was there, and I wondered if she had perhaps willed it to scare me that night. Don't even know if that is possible. I did not like her very much to begin with, so you never know.

Needless to say, I never again stayed there when my boyfriend was working night shift. And I was very happy when they decided to sell the apartment.

Other hauntings by triden07

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, triden07, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

allesgute154 (3 stories) (254 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-26)
triden07, another good narrative. I would scream the house down or pee in my pants if I saw a chair rocking by itself! By the way, I just realised that I'm nearly your age! I'm 30 right now and mom to a toddler daughter:)
triden07 (70 stories) (279 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-21)
Shlain
No, she definitely existed. But I think not even her family wanted her around. She wasn't at her mother- or brother's wedding, specifically not invited.
Shlain (13 stories) (246 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-21)
What are you saying? Was Marie real? You're making it sound like she might not have existed. Or was she just not favored even amongst her own family?
triden07 (70 stories) (279 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-21)
Shlain
You know what the really funny thing is about this story? Since my ex and his mom sold this apartment, I never saw or heard from Marie again. I can't think that in all the time we were married, he or his mother spoke about her. I don't know where she moved to or what happened to her.
Shlain (13 stories) (246 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-11-20)
Maybe Marie purposly tried to scare you by forewarning you about the entity. The spirit might have picked up on her not liking you (if this was so) and decided to scare you.
triden07 (70 stories) (279 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-19)
Hi guys
She was asleep. Her bed was a good 3 metres from where the rocking chair was. There was nothing to indicate that she could be responsible for the movement. The chair was moving at a steady speed, like someone was just leasurely rocking in it.
Christine_Pandora (1 stories) (80 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-19)
I agree with Casper_the_ghost, seeing as you said you didn't really like her at first maybe the feelings were mutual and she decided she'd have a bit of fun and scare you?

Did you check if she was in reach of the chair or if she might have moved it and pretended to be asleep?

Also was she on the lounge that night?

And was the chair keeping a constant speed or slowing down?

Sorry for so many questions i'm just really curious 😊
Casper_the_ghost (9 stories) (180 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-11-17)
You don't think Marie was just trying to scare you enough to move out do you? And for her to have the apartment to herself and her mother? She was sleeping in the lounge too wasn't she? She could of very well made the rocking chair move while you were asleep. She was the one who brought this shadow to your attention after all.
GreyFeather (44 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-17)
A rocking chair rocking by itself-classic! I guess everyone enjoys rocking chairs. Thanks for sharing. If it happens again, take a video of it!
curiousDevu (10 stories) (45 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-16)
I would have been scared too if I saw a chair rocking by itself in the dark, 😨 am glad you got safely out of the room and they sold the house.
You mentioned something about a poodle following your sister at times, was it a real one or another spirit?
Please clarify, thanks.
Devu,😊
zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-15)
It seems as if this spirit is following the sister around and maybe was curious about you the night you stayed there. I do believe that there are spirits that can follow a certain person but than again, could be her guardian angel. Whatever the case, it doesn't appear to be harmful and the sister seems to accept it. But I would also have been freaked out had the rocking chair been going back and forth.

Zeta.
triden07 (70 stories) (279 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-15)
blacksky
She used to tell me that when she didn't see the shadow there was a little white poodle following her. At the time I thought she was nuts, but yeah, the rocking chair was really a bit too much for me.
blacksky (1 stories) (18 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-15)
I would have ran too! I'm not sure if they can be willed to scare someone either. But for what ever reason it is attached to Marie. They sometimes attach them selves to people and even objects. I hope all is well now! 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: