You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: The Caring Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

The Caring Ghost

 

This story will make you smile. Actually, I've had a few ghost encounters, but this one is warm and fuzzy.

I used to live close to the Abbey of Gethsemanie in Kentucky. I worked at the Abby on and off, sewing or cleaning, like a lot of people in that area do, and my monk to report to was Br. Thomas. (Not Thomas Merton, Thomas.) He was a pretty family-oriented guy and helped my son and I out when he could with groceries or household items we couldn't get with food stamps. He cared. Well, he was old, and we were adopted family. He used to say he would always take care of us. He also said he loved his calling, and he never wanted to leave Gethsemanie.

Eventually, he died. A lot of people grieved, a lot of secular employees had similar stories about Br. Thomas. My son and I handled our grief by walking in the woods around the Abbey. This was in the winter, and it was icy and cold, and the woods are extensive, with deer trails, and few tracts.

We had walked a couple miles, and figured we should go back because we were getting cold. Of course we began to get very cold and my son complained about his hands and feet, so I stopped and told him we should bear hug and dance to warm up, and while we moved we bumped into what seemed like a solid, warm person, but was an empty warm space you could walk into. This was in the middle of the woods, with ice and snow all around. It was a three foot or so column of heat that felt like semi-solid, like water. My son said right away it was Br. Thomas, and anyway we were freezing! So we both huddled in there until we felt quite toasty and ready to walk the rest of the way back.

By the way, in cold weather, Thomas used to say we were wusses and do the bear hug thing while he asked us if we were O.K. Anyway... While we were walking back, if you sort of waved your hand around to the side, you could feel the same heat all the way to the road where our car was parked.

When we got in the car, he was gone. We were sure it was Br. Thomas taking care of his people like he said he would.

Other hauntings by Swimsinfire

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Kentucky

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Swimsinfire, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Triskaideka (2 stories) (388 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-20)
This story warmed my heart. 😊 So there he goes, just spreading the warmth to everyone!
Wiz (23 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-02-08)
What a nice story and its comforting to know that just because our loved ones have passed doesn't mean that can't comfort us in our time of need. Very nice!

Wiz
evilspirit2 (6 posts)
-2
11 years ago (2013-02-08)
I must say you are lucky...
On my personal note, I like Kentucky fried chicken...
Seraphina (7 stories) (147 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-08)
A lovely story, Swimsinfire. This experience must have comforted you and your son as you were grieving for your friend, Br. Thomas. When you pass the story along, I think it helps others, because it confirms that we are never really separated from people we care about.
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-06)
This really is community. Yes we were blessed. I know there are other
People out there who worked with this monk and have similer stories. Would love to hear'em.
RollingStonesGhost (19 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-05)
Swimsinfire,This is definatly a real heart warmer. Br. Thomas sounds like a wonder, brilliant, caring man. You were so lucky to have had him around... And he obviously loved having you and your son around too.

I feel it was Br.Thomas... He was there making sure you were ok and not to cold and sad since he wasn't alive to enjoy some real time with you both. Gift of comfort and warm from a special friend who in the afterlife still cared so much.

Your so very lucky... Thats all I can say.
Jesse.
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-02-04)
My dear Swimsinfire, that was a nice story. True love and affection never cease even after death. People from the other side always try to contact, help, if they lived a life of service to others. Br. Thomas lived that way and even after his passing on, he helped you and your son in the woods. Thanks for sharing.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: