You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Phantom Touches

Real Ghost Stories

Phantom Touches

 

The following stories are together, because they are short, and there are a few of them. None of them frightened me, though the first one did surprise me, as I didn't expect it to happen.

In my hometown, there is a block of flats that used to be a hospital. I knew nothing of this, when I first moved in in December 1996. I didn't even know it was haunted, either.

Anyway, in the summer of '97, I was standing in my living room, just staring at the fridge, when something or someone grabbed my arm for a few seconds. Now, the only other person in the room with me was my then boyfriend, and as he was standing at a distance from me and on my right. It wasn't him, but just to be sure, I asked him. He denied grabbing my arm. That surprised me, but it didn't scare me.

Two years later, I abandoned that flat, and moved to a different area, because of something that happened to me from a living person, and in 2000, I moved into a private rented two bed terraced house.

That same evening, or it might've been the next evening, I went out. As I sat on a stool in a pub, minding my own business, I met someone. His name was Dave. We started talking, and we seemed to share interests and stuff. We started going out, and to cut a long story short, one October evening, we were sitting on his sofa, cuddling up, and I had a strange thought about him. My thought was: 'you're going to die'. I didn't say it out loud, but the following month, November, he went missing. No one knew where he was; they later found his body in the canal. He'd drowned.

The next year, 2001, as I was sitting in my living room, doing nothing, I suddenly felt a hand stroke the back of my head. I like to think it was Dave, and I'm sure it was him. He used to call me 'chuckles'.

Two years after that, in 2003, his cat, Baby died. I'm not sure what happened to her. All I know is, she was out and didn't come home. I didn't think of her as my cat. I thought of her as Dave's cat. Anyway, I found her body on the pavement, on a corner, near where I lived. I took her home, and buried her, and one day, as I sat watching television, and all the kittens playing, I felt a paw touching my arm. That was Baby, as she used to do that when she lived, to get my attention. None of the other cats/kittens reacted.

Just recently, in the last year or so, I have felt someone poking my shoulder from behind. I shrugged this off as muscle twitches, but I still had to look over my shoulder just to make sure no one is there. And tonight, I felt a hand on my elbow, as if steadying me (I'd leaned over a chair arm to plug something in to charge). It was only a secondary thing, and no one was in the room with me. My friend had gone out to the Chinese takeaway for our tea.

Thank you for reading my story. I will be interested to read your comments.

Other hauntings by cookie-eated-me

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, cookie-eated-me, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

elnoraemily (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-15)
This is a very interesting story, thank you very much for sharing (though I appear to be late to the conversation).

I am very sorry for the passing for your boyfriend and the cat.

There are certain ways to explain these sorts of phenomenons in an earthly way, but I am not sure that it fits. These seems to be more random than an ongoing thing, which takes away a lot of the earthly explanations to it - I have a nerve disorder that will make me twitch and such at random. It can feel as though I am being poked, but this happens all the time. This does not seem to be the case with you.

I hope that these experiences give you comfort. This is a sweet and unique story.
DelzLdy (2 stories) (50 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-20)
Cookie - Your comment about knowing how another feels and this ability in relation to paranormal/sensitivity, caused me to take a step back. You see, I've had this ability for a long time now, but never gave it a second thought. I simply figured there were those, like myself, who are able to put themselves in others shoes (so to speak) and imagine how we/I would feel in the same situation. A nice little perk in life;-). I also pick up on 'vibes' around people and can be negatively affected depending on the intensity. This is not such a nice perk!
Argette (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-04)
Granny, that makes sense. And I know what you mean about the hormonal stuff.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-03-04)
Argette: That's an interesting point. I'm not a biologist (but I play one on TV 😆) but I would think there is a serge in certain hormones when your brain is overly active as it would be during stressful times. I believe many women experience heightened abilities during pregnancy; preteens during puberty as well. All of these have the common thread of sudden imbalances of hormones although probably not the same ones.
Argette (guest)
+1
11 years ago (2013-03-04)
Question for anyone who wants to respond: Have you ever noticed that your powers of perception are keener during times of duress? An example from my own past is the summer that my husband was unemployed for several months. I was not working at the time, having chosen not to work while our daughter was in school. I was justifiably concerned about money. I did everything I could to stave off financial catastrophe. Meanwhile, I acquired the ability to predict or foresee a variety of small things, from what would be in the day's mail to who would call on the phone. I also experienced some sort of contact from beyond, and I am not sure how to explain that other than ideas and sentences would come to me about things that had happened in the past. I'm not sure if these were things I had heard as a child that somehow came to the forefront of my mind years later or what.

At any rate, the ability to sense things subsided when he went back to work.

Does anyone else have any experiences with this?
cookie-eated-me (2 stories) (29 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-04)
Val, your mum is still there, I think, and patting you on your shoulder to say hi, means she hasn't forgotten you and she still loves you very much. 😊

Knowing dave was going to die was the second time I had that thought. The first time it happened, I was 15 or 16, still at school, and I used to visit a friend at weekends, when I was home. This friend had a granddad, who she loved a lot, and one Saturday, I think it was, we were together, when I had that same thought about her granddad that I had about Dave. I didn't/couldn't tell her, but not long after, her granddad died. I didn't like knowing, but there was nothing I could do about it. 😢

On the other hand, however, I can predict a baby's sex, before it's born. The first time this happened was in 1990, when I spent an afternoon in a primary school. The teacher was expecting her second baby, and we were in the hall, with the kids, and sitting on the stage, watching the children doing PE, I told her she'd have a girl. Anyway, after she came back from maternity leave, she told me I was right.

Sad it may be, but after re-reading it, I think it's a bit cringe worthy in places. But never mind, i'm glad you enjoyed reading it and thank you for your reply.

Bizzjoe, I don't mean to be big headed, but I do know i'm sensitive. Occasionally, I find myself crying for no reason. It only lasts for a few minutes, and I never know why.

As for the 'Chinese takeaway for our tea' bit, it was actually well after teatime! I think our American friends will understand. 😉

Argette, I've actually considered 'opening myself up' to the other side a bit more; but perhaps not, as knowing things, being touched and smelling things are enough for me to handle.

I can also put myself in another's shoes, and feel how they do. I'm not sure what this is, but when I mention it, other people are surprised, and tell me it's a good thing. Secretly, i'm pleased, as not many people are able to do so.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, but I had to reply thoroughly. *hugs to you all* xxx
Argette (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-04)
Cookie, it sounds as though you are a sensitive person who is receptive to, as Bizzjoe put it, the other side. And as Valkricry noted, it's nice to know others have those experiences. I have often said here that so-called paranormal experiences are often simply a serious of small incidents that indicate a presence is near, watching, comforting or caring.

Thank you for posting.
bizzjoe (1 stories) (162 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-04)
very interesting story... You obviously are very sensitive to the other side... Or whatever... I liked your story alot... But I'm not sure what our american friends & people in other countrys will make of the line... "my friend had gone out to the chinese takeaway for our tea" I think its just an english & irish thing... When we say "our tea", we mean our supper...
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-03-04)
Cookie,
I thought this an interesting read. Mostly because I've had similiar experiances, and it's really nice to know it isn't just me.😊 My mom use to always tell me that after she was 'gone' if I felt someone pat my shoulder and no one was there, not to be scared because it was just her saying 'hi'. And sometimes, I too wonder if that was just a muscle twinge or if maybe Mom is passing by.
The strange thought, maybe you were given a glimpse into the future - a premenition. Too bad it was such a sad one.
I enjoyed reading this.
~Val

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: