You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: My Dads Run From Spirits

Real Ghost Stories

My Dads Run From Spirits

 

I'd like to share a story that was told to me when I was young and until now I can still remember it. It's a story about my father and how he was haunted growing up. He had a lot of experiences with the paranormal but I'll tell you about the time he almost died.

This story happened when my dad was in college and back then there weren't a lot of houses, most of the roads were made out of dirt, street lights didn't exist in some places and the native culture was still very strong. This was told to me by my uncle since he witnessed a part of it but I had to get my dad to tell me how the story began. So I'll tell you as how it was told to me by my dad first.

During this time my dad was a very active student council member in his school and would leave school really late up to the point that he would be the one closing the school. As my dad was closing up the school he heard the cry of a bird and he knew what it was and what it meant. It was a bird of the dead (I'm sorry I couldn't remember the exact name of the bird since it was in our indigenous language and I am not versed in it) and he knew that if its cries were loud it would mean that it's far away from you and if it was soft it means it is close to you and at this point it was getting softer. This bird haunted my dad growing up so he knew that if he heard it the dead weren't far off. He dropped every thing and didn't bother closing the gate properly and left the school immediately and ran to the street.

As he reached the street and was about to cross it he saw a car pass by and he felt really ominous about it since it was a hearse and the weird part was it had a dim glowing red light on the underside and inside of it like it had neon on it but it was moving really slow and it produced no sound at all as it passed him. He increased his pace moving as fast as he could and prayed at the same time. Soon after he heard a loud rustling and saw something that made chill run up his spine and raise the hair at the back of his neck. He saw a trees leaves spreading from the top like someone was spreading them evenly to the side from the middle and it was only that tree and there was no wind. He said he panicked when he started to see big hands doing it and this was a big tree. So he ran as fast as he could and at this point the birds cry was getting softer and almost gone.

As he reached their barangay (no English translation but its close to what people call a suburb) He looked back thinking that he would be safe but he was wrong. He couldn't hear the bird anymore but he could see dead people following him and calling out his name. So he ran as fast as he could until he reached their house.

This is the part that my uncle told me and my dad said that he could only remember up to this point and when he got in the house.

When my dad reached their house and opened the door to the living room all the family members that were present at that time jumped back in fear. They said that it wasn't my dad that made them jump back but what they saw behind him. They couldn't see its head from the door but it was a giant and it gave off a menacing aura. When my dad entered the living room and they said that he looked like he was almost dead. His skin was pale and his hair was all over the place like he got electrocuted and all his hair stood up. They got him to lay down when he got in and placed a rosary around his neck then the family started praying for him to keep him from harm. My uncle said they could hear people outside calling out my dad's name and they were telling them to let him out. My dad wanted to go out so my uncles and aunts forced him down but he was so strong that he almost overwhelmed them.

My Grandma was there when it happened and she told them all what to do and not to do. Now my Grandma was a very spiritual person and was well versed when it came to spirits. She went to the kitchen and took salt and made holy water. She then went outside and threw the salt and holy water at the spirits that were calling for my dad and told them to leave him alone. My uncle said that the spirits left that night with a cry and my dad was returning to normal but they still prayed for him until morning and my Grandma kept watch until then. After this my dad wouldn't stay at school late anymore and he doesn't stay alone at night. My mom and dad weren't dating when this happened but my mom said that when they were dating she would also hear the bird and my dad would always say that they're there again and it would freak my mom out since she believes in them as well.

My dad told me a lot of stories of his experiences growing up but this was the one he was reluctant to tell me. I know the story seemed far fetched and when I heard it I couldn't believe it either so I tried to investigate if it was true. So I asked around my family about it during a reunion and found that all the people that were there said the same story just as my uncle told me.

I hope you liked the story and Thanks for reading! ^_^

Other hauntings by Elgin

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Philippines

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Elgin, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Elgin (5 stories) (35 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-05-19)
[at] Lord_Manyakol:
The wak-wak or tiktik is the Filipino version of a vampire/monster and its more common on the low lands but the bird I'm referring to is neither of the two. The bird I'm referring to is a black bird bigger than a crow as it was described to me. Sadly You can't exactly research this over the internet, I know I tried really hard as well. 😭

I'm not exactly sure what its called in other regions of the Philippines or if it exists in other parts of the Philippines but this myth or beliefs is common to the elders in the highlands of the Philippines particularly in the Cordillera.

I really wish I knew more of our culture and our beliefs so I can tell you all about it.

Here's a challenge for all believers though. There was a book that was written by an American author, He published it right after World War II when he was deployed here. I'm sorry that I don't really know his name but he was able to document a lot of these beliefs and myths when he was here. The book was all about Philippine mythology from believe it or not dragons all the way to vampires. I know it exist, I had a copy of it way back when I was young sadly my mom and dad hated it and disposed of it when I was out of the house for a couple of weeks and when I confronted them about it they wouldn't tell me what they did with it. I've been trying my best to find that book until now and I do hope someone can find it.
Lord_Manyakol (13 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-11)
I was really dumbstrucked and sceptical about your story because this is the first time I heard a wak-wak (Big black bird eating human flesh from filipino folklore) accompanied by ghosts. That is not really a good experience. I researched this wakwak and it lead me to the information that a wakwak or tiktik (a half bird half human) is a pet of a witch. But the interesting part is a pack of ghosts haunting your dad. If I was on his shoes, I might get mad, if you know what I am saying Hahaha! But I do really believe on what you're saying. It's just that it is new for me to hear wakwak accompanied by ghosts. Thanks for sharing mate. Cheers!
Elgin (5 stories) (35 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-31)
Thanks for reading guys! My dad is doing okay and the spirits don't seem to haunt him anymore. I'll tell you guys later my dads other experiences ^_^

[at] rook:
We have a lot of spirits but a "hungry ghost" not sure... Sadly most of the spirits are no longer documented and ever since Christianity been in the Philippines old superstitions and beliefs are fading fast. We just call most of them "multo" (ghost) and "halimaw" (monster).

[at] truly-tormented3:
Well they did say my dad was close to the spirits and that my fathers family has the blood of a medicine man in it but still not really sure why and even my dad doesn't know. ^_^
Isabella_Morgan (3 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-30)
Wow your Dad is really brave. I can't even imagine going through that. Thanks for sharing this story.

-Isabella ❤
Fanny (2 stories) (105 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-29)
Wow, that is terribly creepy! I can understand why one wouldn't care to relive that story!

Best Fanny ❤
truly-tormented3 (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-29)
Wow...I wonder why they wanted your dad? I'm glad he got away!
Shady4u (2 stories) (188 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-29)
Hey there! Your story did gave me chills. Must say your dad is a very brave person. If I was him I bet I would've been dead by now LOL. Hope your dad is fine now. Amazing story. Thanks.
-Shady
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-03-29)
Is there a ghost in the Philippines that is anything like the 'Phret' from Thailand... A ghost (spirit) that is 30 feet tall... And sometimes called 'a hungry ghost'?

Just curious...

Thanks for sharing this with us.

Respectfully,

Rook
Kaite (7 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-28)
Creepy...i don't know if I coulda went throught all that 😨
Thanks for sharing it with us ❤ ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: