You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: My Mirror Experience

Real Ghost Stories

My Mirror Experience

 

In 2011 my boyfriend and I bought a home together. Shortly after moving in, I was expecting an important phone call. One morning I woke up to see the message light blinking on my phone. Thinking I might have missed the call, I decided to listen to the message. However, I had recently bought two new phones, and wasn't quite sure how to work the answering machine.

So I started out by trying on the kitchen phone. I hit the button that worked for my old phone, but it wasn't going to be that easy. I ended up messing up the phone, not knowing what to do to fix it, I put it back on the charging base and hoped that it would fix itself.

I then walked through the living room and into my bedroom to try on the phone I have in there. The only way into my bedroom is through the living room, as it used to be the garage. From the bedroom door, you can see all of my bedroom. I have the phone set up on the bathroom counter by the double sinks. My bathroom sink is not in the bathroom, as the actual bathroom is too small to accommodate it. It instead sits just outside of the bathroom door.

So I went to the counter and picked up the phone. This time not touching anything, just looking at it, and trying to figure out how to work the answering machine. I studied it for about five minutes or so, but just couldn't figure out what to do. So I put the phone down, and looked up into the mirror. I saw an older woman, with long blonde hair, wearing what looked like a white nightgown walking behind me. My first thought was that someone had broken in. I quickly looked behind me, but no one was there. I looked back into the mirror, but didn't see her again.

It was then that I remembered a few things. One was, I have bars on all of the windows of my house so no one can get in through my windows. The second being, that there is no door leading to outside from my bedroom. The third being, she would've already had to be in my room because she was moving from left to right, and I would've seen her when I entered the room. The fourth being, that I had just gotten up and so both of my doors were still locked tight. The fifth thing was I had just come from the living area, which is an open plan. I can see the living room, dining room, and both doors from the kitchen. So no one could've gotten in without me noticing. I still checked the entire house just to be sure. Finding no one.

It was only then that I allowed myself to believe that what I saw was paranormal. I had heard of people seeing things in mirrors, but this was the first time anything like that has happened to me!

Other hauntings by TalonWalt

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Florida

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, TalonWalt, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Gossamer_Lights (9 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-01)
Someone mentioned it might be a residual, to me that doesn't make too much sense. An old lady in her nightgown in a garage? Unless she died in there or unless it's possible to be attached to an object and residual it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Sounds unnerving though the idea of seeing something in a mirror that's not there has always creeped me out lol
Ghostie016 (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-14)
[at] valkricry

Yes. I realized that after I commented here, sorry... 😊
zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-17)
Hi Talon:
I thought this was very endearing how you "covered" all bases. For example, you really thought this out as far as no one getting in due to bars on the windows, the doors, etc. Sounds as if you already have your answer. I agree with another poster that may be residual however; if you continue to see this ghostly woman and you notice different things such as her making contact with you; then you may wish to consider something else. You may be living with a spirit that is not there to cause harm but just wishes to cohabitate.

Great experience and nice way of writing it. Zeta.
Ms_sparkles (8 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-17)
Hi talon,
It's ms_sparkles (I know it's a dumb name)
I think there are many thing a that it could be. It isn't strange that it was in the mirror, many apparitions and such are in the mirror but it would be helpful to go any were in the world that you feel safe and comforted and think to yourself: I am not willing to let anything harm me my loved ones my friends or family! But the fact that it didn't look at you or try to scare you shows that it most likely does not mean you harm it probably just wants you to know it is there and there really is not a reason to be afraid, It may even be there to protect you so I just want you to know that it may not be there to harm you and you should not be Afraid unless it starts doing mischievous things.
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-17)
RevenantSyndicate
I think you may have mistaken why people cover mirrors after a person has died.
It is a centuries old practice in the Jewish Faith to cover all mirrors in the house out of respect of the deceased. You see they feel it is disrespectful for women especially to look in a mirror for vanity reasons.
Other people believe mirrors are portals for spirits to come into this world and leave as they please. They believe that both good and evil spirits can use these portals.

Regards
Red
TalonWalt (3 stories) (69 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-14)
Valkricry, That unnerves me even more! LOL! I am actually afraid to look in the mirror when I am alone now. TY for the info.

Raftingirl, Yes thankfully I only saw her once.

Bizzjoe, Ok ty

RevenantSyndicate, TY for the info.

Smoken Mirrors, Yes she didn't even look my way, thankfully. I would have been more afraid if she had.

Pragya, I looked up the history of my house before I bought it, but found nothing helpful.
valkricry (49 stories) (3265 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-06-14)
Hi Talon,
Seeing something in the mirror that isn't 'there' would be quite unnerving! Some claim that it actually comes from 'inside' the mirror as it were. That's why we don't see anyone/thing when we turn. I don't think ghosts have reflections... At least I've never heard of one.
valkricry (49 stories) (3265 posts) mod
+2
11 years ago (2013-06-14)
[at] Ghostie016: Hi, I think perhaps you're a tiny bit confused. We don't actually 'post' our stories, as in *POOF* there it is. You've written it up, clicked 'submit' and...you've submitted it for publication, where it goes into a queque (waiting list) with tons of others to be edited/proofed and accepted for publication (or rejected as the case may be.) So it can take awhile for you or anyone else to see your story. Accepted or rejected you'll get an email telling you (check your junk file - lots claim they never got one when they did). From what I hear there are lots of submissions so it can take quite awhile, so be patient. 😊
Ghostie016 (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-14)
Ohh, creepy, If I we're you I would run, because the first thing that would pop in my mind that it's a ghost.

And can anyone tell me please? I posted my Ghost Story, but I can't see it. It's like I didn't post it, but I did. Thank You:D... 😲 😉
SmokenMirrors (6 stories) (78 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-14)
From your account the lady didn't seem to acknowledge your presence and walked straight past. From this I think you witnessed a residual haunting.
Pragya (5 stories) (68 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-14)
creepy.Check the history of the house. May be an old lady expired before you came. 😨
RevenantSyndicate (6 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-13)
Hello!

As you're probably well aware, there is A LOT of lore on mirrors. Some of these ideas date back hundreds and hundreds of years. In fact, it wasn't too long ago that, when loved ones would pass in the house, the remaining family members would cover the mirrors. Why? A lot of people believe that mirrors are 'soul trappers.' They didn't want their loved ones to be stuck here, so, they covered the mirrors.

Others believe that mirrors can trap ghosts. (Similar idea, right?) It's said that if there is a ghost in a house, a mirror could trap it there. It's possible that this is what you were seeing.

There are lots and lots we could say about mirrors. However, those ideas seem to pertain to your story the most. If there are any other experiences that you have had in this house that may point to one definite possibility, please, share them - we would love to help!

You can reach us at the email RevenantSyndicate [at] Live.com

-Amzi
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-06-13)
bizzjoe - what ghost would that be? "One of those ghosts that everyone keeps talking about..." I'm a little confused. I realize I haven't been onsite much lately, but I don't know ghosts everyone keeps talking about other than Shadow Man/Hat Man.
bizzjoe (1 stories) (162 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-13)
I wouldn't worry about it too much... Its probably just one of those ghosts everyone keeps talking about...
Raftingirl (2 stories) (113 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-13)
Hello Talonwalt,
That sounds very creepy indeed. Was it only the one time you saw her?

Just curious, as if has occurred again, you might want to look into it more.

Kind regards,
Sue

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: