You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Enter The Guardian

Real Ghost Stories

Enter The Guardian

 

As I have already said in my previous post, "Possession, Apparitions and Terror", I went through a period of my life where I had constant encounters with a being that I call the 'Shadow Man'.

I would wake up every night with him sitting on the couch in my bedroom watching me. Whether it was him waking me up or my subconscious waking me up because he was there I do not know, but the fear he projected was always a constant.

The night that I finally decided I had had enough was, to me, my awakening.

As usual, I awoke from a deep sleep at around 3am with a feeling that I was not alone in my room. I rolled over to check and, yes, there he was, watching me from the couch as he had done for two years. As soon as I saw him, again, as usual, I felt wave after wave of fear hit me. My body would start to shake as if an ice-cold wind was blowing. I always slept with the window closed and my bedroom door locked, so there was no breeze. I would try to concentrate on creating a shield around myself but I couldn't focus. The easiest way to describe it would be like two positive magnet ends being pushed together, just when I was able to form my shield in my mind's eye, another wave of fear would hit me and the image would slip away from me.

By this time I had begun to get really angry, I call it my righteous anger. I was tired of living my life in fear of him and my family. Tired of being alone and feeling like there was nothing I could do and no-one I could turn to (although my mother was beside herself with concern, I really believed that her and my brother were being influenced by the 'Shadow Man' and were trying to kill me).

I took a deep, calming breath, sat up in bed and faced him head on. I looked directly into his eyes, being the only feature that wasn't just black shifting shadows, and demanded that he leave me alone and let me sleep. I felt another wave of fear hit me, but I also felt an undercurrent of confusion. I think this was due to the fact that I had never confronted him before. I would always lie in my bed, terrified, close my eyes and wait for the sun to rise. Again I demanded that he leave as I was tired and had no time for him. Another wave hit, but it felt weaker than before and again I sensed confusion. Taking advantage of this, I immediately focused on my shield, and I found that I was able to hold to the image.

That was where I lost my temper with him. I stood up right in front of him and shouted for him to go away. The shout must have woken my mother because a few seconds later she knocked on my bedroom door. In that instant, he vanished. I heard my mother's voice on the other side of the door ask what was happening and if I was ok. I told her that I had had a nightmare, but I was ok and that she should go back to bed.

I felt like I had just climbed a mountain while doing hours of mathematical calculations. My body and mind were spent. I climbed back into bed and immediately fell asleep. The sleep I had that night was the best sleep I had had in two years.

The next night, I went to bed as usual and fell asleep pretty easily. Again, at around 3am, I woke up as always and turned to see him on my couch. I could feel waves of fear hitting me, but my confidence had grown since the previous night and again I felt my righteous anger boiling up. This time I didn't wait. I sat on the edge of my bed facing him and visualized my shield. I could feel myself shaking, but not from fear, from anger. I visualized pushing this anger at him, willing him to go. It took everything I had to control my fear. I don't know how long we faced off, but there came a point where I thought I wasn't going to be able to continue this titanic struggle. It was at that point that I became aware that he was no longer looking at me, but looking past me.

I felt an overwhelming sense of peace come over me. My body felt lighter, my head clearer and the atmosphere in my room became less heavy. I turned my head to see what was behind me. There, standing at the foot of my bed and looking at me, was a woman. She was not solid, as if an actual person was standing there, but I could see a faint glow in the shape of a woman and vaguely make out her features. I tried to focus on her face but it seemed to be in a constant state of change. It was like trying to look at a person made of water.

I turned back to the 'Shadow Man' and saw the hatred in his eyes towards this woman. Again I looked at her and she had become much more solid than before. I could make out that she had brown hair and pale blue eyes. She smiled at me and gestured at the bed, as if she was asking to sit down next to me. I shifted over enough for her to sit and I felt the mattress give when she did. I cannot explain it, but I had the feeling she was there to help.

It was a very strange feeling to sit there with the two of them. It felt like I was inside a cocoon of warmth and peace, while all around me there was this raging storm. I just kept thinking that I did not want him around anymore, that he was unwelcome and that he should leave. I pictured my thoughts slamming into him, willing him to leave. I remember seeing the light of dawn through my curtains. It was at that moment that a stray thought popped into my mind, "In what way?" Before I could even think about a response, I blurted out loud, "In every way possible!" I heard a low growl, and he was gone.

The woman that was sitting next to me put her arm around my shoulders and hugged me tightly. We sat there for some time. I remember a faint voice, just on the edge of hearing, as if she were talking to me but from very far away. I started feeling warm and drowsy. I don't recall lying down, but I remember looking up at her as she stood over my bed with her hand on my chest. I asked her for her name and just before I fell asleep I actually heard her voice, say "Marise".

I slept right through the day and only woke up because my mother was knocking on my bedroom door, letting me know that my dinner was ready. For the first time in two years I wasn't concerned that the food was poisoned or full of glass shavings. I opened the door and just as my mother turned away, I grabbed her and hugged her tightly. We stood there for I don't know how long. I told her that I was fine now. That I just needed to tell her that I loved her and that I was sorry for everything. I felt her grip tighten and as she pulled away I saw tears running down her cheeks. I asked why she was crying to which she replied, "I'm glad you're back my boy. I've missed you. Now come and eat your dinner."

I have only seen Marise once since that night. She came to me while I was meditating. She has only ever answered one question, "Why did you not appear before that night?"

Her reply was short, "You had to find strength before I could help."

Other hauntings by Nephylim

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Nephylim, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-08-29)
Lol Nephylim, genoeg is genoeg, en dan is jy gatvol...ne'? 😉 😆

Good luck!
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-08-29)
Noted! I will be careful. Actually i'm a little frightened of what I may encounter too. As I hve learn though this site, as long as I keep goodness and light in mind, I should be alright...hopefully
-Notjustme
Nephylim (10 stories) (79 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-08-29)
Fergie - I don't think I was courageous, I think I was just tired and angry, very angry in fact, that he was affecting my life so negatively.

Notjustme - I'm glad you found my experience to be helpful. Just a word of advice if trying to contact your guide, don't be too discouraged if there is no immediate answer/response. It took a while for me to find/contact Marise after that night. I've had no success since. When the time is right, they/she/he will appear to you. Also, be wary of allowing the first being you encounter to get close to you. Opening yourself up can be dangerous, as dark will almost always present itself as light, at first.
Nephylim (10 stories) (79 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-08-27)
Thank you all for the positive comments.

Harrypotterrules - I to believe her to be my Spirit Guide/Guardian. I also believe that they are not always watching over us (god I hope not 😉) but will appear to us in times of great need. I found her to be beautiful to look upon, but there was definitely an inner beauty that shone through far more than her physical appearance. If it is a physical description you are looking for, she had sun-kissed brown hair that hung loosely and fell over her shoulders. Her eyes were pale blue with no definitive shape. She has full lips that turn up slightly at the corners, giving the appearance of a perpetual smile. Other than that, her features were entirely her own. What I mean by that is that there were no obvious physical traits that made her look as if she was from a specific part of the world (as she isn't) but little things here and there showed, to me at least, that she was an amalgamation of all races. I believe they choose a form that we can associate with, so whether that is really how she looks I cannot say.
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-08-26)
nephylim: thanks for the story, it was inspiring to me as well as helpful. I have recently started meditating in hopes of connecting with my spirit guides. I have seen a medium and she told me we all have one or two, or more with us all the time. I truly believe that while in that astral state you were in during the face off, you were able to connect to her. As she said, it was because you had to find your inner strength before she could help. Once again, thanks and good luck to you! God bless, Notjustme
HappySpirit (187 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-08-26)
This is an empowering story - I was cheering you on at every sentence! Will definitely go in my Favorites.
Benny_Lundon (2 stories) (33 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-08-25)
What a wonderful story, how brave of you to face this "Shadow man" down. I hope you have found peace from him now and perhaps get to meet and know more of this Woman that came to your aid.

Regards; Benny.
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-08-24)
Nephylim, you are very courageous! You are sending out a very important message to those in the same sort of situation - I hope they heed it and use it to their advantage!

Be well. (From a fellow S African) 😊
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-08-23)
Nephylim, awesome story! Standing up to that demon way to go! Maybe it was your spirit guide, protecting you and letting you know whom she was. Your much more brave than I could have been. If that was me I def would have been frozen in fear! Like I said hurray for you! Great story! 😊
harrypotterrules (59 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-08-23)
What a beautiful story! I would like to clarify something that I realized on my own, though. This woman, Marise, is probably your spirit guide because she apparently had a peaceful vibe to her, and she also hugged you and told you that you needed to find strength before she could help. There is, however, one thing that I'd like to ask, though. From other stories that I've read, spirit guides are supposed to be very beautiful. Can you please try to give us a clearer description of the woman? Thanks! God bless ❤ 😁
Nephylim (10 stories) (79 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-08-23)
Miracles, thank you. I sincerely hope that my experiences might help someone in need.
I could not agree with you more. I have come to the same conclusion, that I had to find the will to fight it and the strength within myself. I now believe that the power lies in each and every one of us. We just have to find it. We all need that moral support from time to time, but at the end of the day, when all is said and done, it is up to us as individuals to make the choice and find the courage within ourselves.

Aussie, the only person I have ever met with that name was a girl I dated for a short period in High School. I have searched back through my ancestry and could not find a single woman (going back 4 generations) with that name.

Swimsinfire, glad my experiences can inspire, even if it is an under-the-breath cheer

😁 😁
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-08-22)
Everybody digs your stories. I'm with Ausie, do you have any relatives by this name? I almost cheered when you faced your demon down. Out loud. Sitting in my van. Yes, that's a great example to all of us. Thankyou for sharing.
AussieChick95 (10 stories) (40 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-08-22)
I really enjoyed this story, She was defiantly there to help. Does that name mean anything to you? Could she have been a relative? She seems connected to you.
Thanks for sharing!

Xx
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-08-22)
Nephylim - maybe you had to face your demon and prove to yourself, not it/him, that you were no longer afraid. One of my favorite lines in a movie is this one, "You have no power over me."

Once you realized you were stronger than you thought, that you had essentially empowered yourself, that is when your backup arrived. Not riding in to save you, but to be there as your moral support.

You did good ❤ Thank you for sharing this with us. I do believe by sharing your experience, it will be of help to someone 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: