You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ouija Board / Seances :: The Night Of The Ouija

Real Ghost Stories

The Night Of The Ouija

 

I have always been able to "feel". Since I can remember I have "seen", without my eyes, the creatures, beings and entities that are around us, whether it is a face in the paint on the wall or a shadowy figure in my room.

I believe that everyone has some form of psychic ability. I believe myself to be an Empath. I pick up on the emotions of people without them ever having to say a word. I always find myself drawn, mostly against my will, to the one person in the crowd that is feeling sad or depressed, or is experiencing fear or some other strong emotion (unfortunately I am mostly drawn to the darker emotions than the lighter, happier ones).

I grew up with a very "In-tune" mother (she is a medium). She taught me how to meditate when I was in my teens, how to protect myself while in a meditative state and how to turn away the darker things that would approach while in that state of mind. I do not consider myself an expert, but I have come face to face with a few entities in my life and, thanks to her teachings, have faced them down and come out feeling stronger for it.

This particular event occurred when I was about 14 years old. I was going through a dark time in my life, depression, parents divorce, cutting, etc. My friends all knew that my mother could read the Cards and they would always end up talking more to her, when visiting me, about strange happenings and the like.

One night, my mother had gone out with some friends and I had invited a couple of friends around. As the night wore on, the topic of ghosts and ghouls had come up. I was telling them about a story my mother had told me about this shadowy figure that had appeared to her off and on throughout her childhood. Mostly in her dreams, but on the odd occasion it would appear to her when awake.

I cannot remember now who it was that brought up the topic of the Ouija Board, but me, being the dark youth I was at the time, offered to make one. I'll admit that it was a slap-dash job, but we tried it anyway. In total, there were four of us.

One of my friends thought it was quite a laugh, and suggested that if we were going to do this, we should position ourselves at the points of the compass. We arranged ourselves, I was at the north point, and proceeded to try and contact something, anything. At first as the glass moved, the usual "Hey! You're moving it!" "No I'm not, you are!" went around. There didn't seem to be any message, just random movement of the glass. After about five minutes of this, we decided to take a break and go for a smoke.

All four of us were standing outside my front door, when one of my friends asked if anyone else had heard a noise from inside. I told him that he needed to stop freaking himself out and thought nothing else of it. We didn't go back to the board, just left it lying on my bedroom floor.

Later that night, after they had all left and my mother had come home, I was sitting in the lounge watching a movie, when I heard the sound of glass breaking. Being a little freaked out after our conversations earlier, I kept my focus on the TV and tried to write it off as my imagination.

Gently, at first, I began feel heat on the back of my head. I kept rubbing the back of my head, thinking that it was probably just a muscle spasm or some such. Eventually though, the heat was so intense, it felt like my hair was on fire. I got off the couch and went to our bathroom to see if I could see anything in the mirror. As I walked passed my bedroom door, which was open with the lights off, I thought I saw something flit across the doorway. This is where I really began to feel fear. As I moved through the flat I began to turn the lights on. I heard my mother sleepily ask me if everything was ok (the flat we lived in wasn't very big and all the rooms were quite close together). I called out that I was feeling very strange and that I thought I had heard something and was just checking it out. She had had a bit to drink that night, so I didn't want to bother her with what, I thought, was probably nothing.

The burning sensation died away while I was talking to her and I began to feel very lethargic. I whispered through her door that I was going to bed and turned off the lights as I made my way to my bedroom. The closer I got to the doorway, the more lethargic I felt. My eyelids were so heavy, I felt like I was going to fall asleep on my feet.

I stumbled into my room, not looking where I was walking, and stepped on something sharp. Immediately I was alert. The pain in my foot must have snapped me out of whatever was happening. I looked down and saw that the glass we had been using for the Ouija Board had shattered!

My foot began to bleed, dripping blood on the floor and all over the makeshift board I had made. I hopped on one foot, to the bathroom and managed to pull the glass from my foot and stem the flow of blood.

Again I went to my room, picked up the glass, and threw the board in my cupboard. I began to feel very depressed and angry, but soon fell asleep.

I don't know what time it was when I suddenly woke up, as if I had been awoken by a loud noise. I lay very still in the dark, listening for any sound that might explain what had woken me. My bedroom door was open, which looked directly down the passage and into the kitchen. Light from a street lamp outside was filtering through the kitchen window. When I looked through my door from my bed, I saw the figure of a man standing in my doorway. The figure was almost completely black and seemed to be wearing a long coat with a wide-brimmed hat on its head. The only part of it that was not black was its eyes. I will never forget those eyes. Thin, red as blood, with black slits where the pupils should have been. When this being noticed that I was looking directly at it, I felt wave after wave of fear and anger hitting me. It did not move towards me or make any threatening movements, but I felt that it was not there to make friends.

At first I found it difficult to think straight, my mind was in turmoil. Eventually though, I remembered what my mother had taught me, surround yourself in light/energy, visualize that ball of protection as being your shield against anything negative, and hold to the image. I slowly began to calm. I kept repeating that it was not welcome here and that it should leave me alone. The more "solid" my shield became in my mind, the fainter the "Shadow Man" got, until eventually he just faded away.

At this point, I jumped out of bed and ran to my mother's room. As I walked into her room, she sat bolt upright, wide awake. I told her what I had experienced, and what we had been doing earlier that evening. She then told me that she had had a nightmare about the "Shadow Man", which she had not had since before I was born, and that was what had woken her.

She then went with me to my room and asked to see the Ouija Board we had been playing with. She told me that we had opened a passage of communication while playing with it, but had neglected to close that passage, which may have allowed the "Shadow Man" to come through. She took the board to her room and told me to stay in mine. I don't know what she did, but a few minutes later she came out and told me it was fine now and I should try to get some sleep.

The next day she was extremely upset with me for playing with the Ouija, and told me that if I didn't know what I was doing, I should never try that again. To this day, I stay away from them.

I believe that I have been face to face with that entity again (read my other story "Possession, Apparitions and Terror") and succeeded in banishing it, but I do sometimes get the feeling that it didn't go far.

Other hauntings by Nephylim

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Nephylim, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

loutee21 (3 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-08-12)
[at] Nephylim
My God-sister and I was given an ouija board and just like any normal teen, we didn't believe in it. We, of course, read the instructions first and then tried it. To our surprise it worked! We continued daily to play the board as to whomever the "spirits" were, seemed kind of friendly in the beginning. They would guess what type of underwear a person was wearing (in quite detail) or guess an age. Then one day it stated that one of us was going to die and that it would cause it. Needless to say that was the end of the experiment. My point is, we read the instructions first to know to "close" the portal once done. My advice is if you are not knowledgeable about these things or without proper guidance, PLEASE leave it alone!...Stay safe.
darkassassin92 (119 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-30)
Some people say these do not work I want to try but too afraid I do not know if its real or not not trying to disbelieve I'm just courious.
Lilady4 (7 stories) (427 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-20)
I've heard stories of people using Ouija Boards and then not finishing properly. I agree with some of the comments here, and your mother, that you certainly need to stay away from Ouija Boards, especially if you don't know what you are doing. Great story anyway, and I am glad that you seem to have learned your lesson thus far.
Love & Light, Rachel ❀
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-19)
Nephylim:
I learn from my mistakes; the next time my husband says he had "just a couple o'beer" I will remember your story! πŸ˜‰
Nephylim (10 stories) (79 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-19)
Hi Miracles,

Thank you so much for the positive feedback. I actually spoke to my mom the day before yesterday about it and she said that it started with her when she was around 14 or 15. She had just moved from South-West Africa (now Namibia) to England with her mother; who was, according to my mom, a very powerful psychic but she refused to acknowledge her gift. Unfortunately I only met her just before she passed away from Cancer when I was 6. My first paranormal experience was on the night my Gran passed away. I will post that story soon.
The 'Shadow Man' first appeared to her in dreams/nightmares, but soon started to appear when she was awake. He would mostly appear when she was having problems in her life (or her problems stemmed from him, she does not know), and as I said, stopped appearing to her at the time that he first appeared to me. She did say though that she used to wake up at night, when I was still a baby, with a feeling of panic and rush through the house checking on my brothers and I only to see him standing over my crib or sitting on the chair she would feed me on in my room. As she tells it, she would get righteously angry and storm into them room demanding he leave me alone and he would turn, look at her and vanish.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
11 years ago (2013-07-18)
Nephylim - you said your mom also experienced what she believes could be the same "shadow man" you experienced in both your stories. Did she tell you at what age her experiences began and under what circumstances this entity began appearing to her?

Some of us, myself included, have a vested interest in the "Shadow Man," which is what is driving my questions. I'm not just being nosy, and certainly not trying to poke holes in your story.

Now, out of the questions and into the comments 😊. I want to say something about your mom. It's good, don't worry LOL. As a mom, it always makes me feel good to read stories from someone who says their parent (mom) was there for them. And it's even more amazing when the parent knew what to do to help.

There are so many stories where the o/p didn't feel they could go to their parent (s) for help, or worse went to their parent (s) and the help wasn't given for one reason or another.

Thank you for sharing your stories with us.
Nephylim (10 stories) (79 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-18)
Hello SDS,

Only one of the friends that were present that night had an experience soon after that night. He woke up with, what we assume to be, the same shadowy figure standing in the corner of his bedroom, which totally freaked him out. His family moved away in the year after, and I have only spoken to him once since that night as we lost contact when they moved. Whether he had more encounters with it I do not know.
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-18)
Hello Nephylim, it is better that you are away from Ouija Board now. What a nasty experience you had. Perhaps your mother closed the board properly and eventually the open passage. I just want to ask you, did any of friends, who stayed with you, had any experiences or encounters?

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
Nephylim (10 stories) (79 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-18)
Hi lady-glow, my apologies, perhaps I should have been a bit more clear. What Miracles said is right. I sometimes refer to any number as 'a couple' (lazy slang I suppose πŸ˜‰)
I would not expect anyone to just take my experience as truth without asking a few questions. As with any remarkable experiences, there will always be doubt as to the honesty of the writer, but if you have any questions please feel free to ask and I will respond.

Swiminfire, as with any 'tool', if you do not know how to use it properly, you are going to hurt yourself or those around you. A handyman whacks his thumb with a hammer, does that make the hammer bad, no, it means he is clumsy or stupid (or in my case in this particular incident, both πŸ˜†). The same can be applied to the Ouija Board.
Fearless (18 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-18)
Hey to b honest I get the same feelings you get you know the emotions and all day I get it too reading peoples thoughts and all but sometimes I feel possessed 😨
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-07-17)
Oops! You are right, Miracles, I guess I skipped reading that paragraph. 😳
And I need to stop thinking in Spanish where "un par" (a couple) always means two. Caramba!
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-07-17)
Gee the more I read about oujia boards, the more I think the safe and correct way to handel them is to grasp them firmly at the edges, break them in pieces, and through them in the nearest dumpster. I think your Mom's right.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+3
11 years ago (2013-07-17)
lady-glow - he did say she came home. "Later that night, after they had all left and my mother had come home." And sometimes people use the word "couple" in reference to 2 or more. I do it myself. Kind of like saying "a few weeks ago" which could mean a few weeks, a month or even more. πŸ˜‰
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
-1
11 years ago (2013-07-17)
You invited a couple of friends the night your mother went out, but then there were FOUR of you playing the Ouija board?
That's strange because 2 + 1 = 3 πŸ€”

I got confused, because you said your mother went out but you never mentioned her coming home, but then she was there when you had the burning sensation on your hair. πŸ€”again!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: