You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Orbs / Lights / Mists :: Unexplained Floating Lights

Real Ghost Stories

Unexplained Floating Lights

 

I'm not sure if you would classify this experience as ghostly or paranormal but it was certainly unexplainable so here it is...

Back in 2006, my friend and I were driving back late one night from Phillip Island in Victoria. As I was sitting in the passenger seat, I was looking outside the window when I noticed two strange white little lights hovering off the ground about 2 feet in a paddock. I quickly mentioned it to my friend and he noticed it too, so he decided to stop the car so we could get out and have a better look.

We jumped the low fence to get into the paddock and noticed that these two little lights looked almost like floating tea candles. At this point they were floating gently higher and higher. My friend and I were standing underneath the lights by the time we got to them and there was probably a "single storey house" distance between us and the lights now.

We both looked at each over confused, not scared but almost at peace. We just kept asking each other over and over, "What is that?!" We stood there for a while watching these lights float higher and higher until we could hardly make them out anymore. We looked around the paddock and it was pure darkness. There was nothing and nobody around that could have possibly caused what we had seen.

On the drive home, we could not stop talking about what we had seen. We were no where near afraid, we were just so fascinated! Does anybody have any insight into what we might have seen?

Has anybody had a similar experience?

Other hauntings by Cat_Angel86

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Cat_Angel86, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

terranigma (9 stories) (71 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-05-26)
I've seen something similar when I was a teenager with a friend and they saw it to. They flew around my friends lounge room when we were sleeping on the foldout bed. I won't go into detail about it as I am thinking of writing it into a story on here.
Cat_Angel86 (5 stories) (25 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-20)
Hi Truck,

Thanks for the possible explanation! I wish I had a camera to take a photo as it was hard to explain!

Cheers,

Cat ❤
TRUCK (25 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-16)
Not sure exactly what they are called but there is an Aisan tradition of lighting candles in decorative floating paper balloons. From a distance it could look like what you describe.
Cat_Angel86 (5 stories) (25 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-02)
elfstone810 - Thanks for the possible explanation! We didn't see anything around the lights like balloons or anything tied to them - they seemed separate. We thought it was strange because there were no properties around, it was all paddocks. But thank you for that possibility! There is certainly a possible logical explanation behind the lights! Thanks for reading! 😁

Cheers,

Cat ❤
elfstone810 (227 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-02)
One possible not paranormal explanation -- could the lights have been a couple of lighted helium balloons? I don't know if you've ever seen them, but the LED lights in them are about the size of tea lights. Maybe a couple of small ones (tied together perhaps?) got away from a party somewhere and were just drifting around with the wind.
Cat_Angel86 (5 stories) (25 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-01)
Thanks so much Miracles51031 - I will certainly have a look at them!

Cheers,

Cat ❤
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-01)
Cat_Angel86 (5 stories) (25 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-09-01)
Thank you Miracles51031 - This site is great you guys do a wonderful job running it. I will just remember to ignore future comments from that person 😆

Also, thank you so much for the links xx

Cheers,

Cat ❤
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-01)
Cat - yep, he was being very sarcastic. I was really glad you didn't realize it because it meant you didn't see the comment I deleted 😊

I'm going to see if I can find those links I mentioned now that things have calmed down a little.
Cat_Angel86 (5 stories) (25 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-01)
Oh ok thanks for the heads up Miracles51031 - I'm assuming now from his comment below he was being sarcastic so I no longer THANK him. Thanks for your response!

Cheers,

Cat ❤
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-01)
Cat_Angel - no, there is nothing wrong with your story, and the reason you can't see the comment is because I deleted it.

ConfederateGhost and I have been battling all day long. He has been leaving rude, nasty, derogatory comments on stories and I've been deleting them. The comment I deleted was just another in a long list of them that was uncalled for. Just ignore him and his comment as we all have been attempting to do.
Cat_Angel86 (5 stories) (25 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-01)
Thanks Miracles51031 and Confederate Ghost - What was the comment that was posted because I cannot see it? I did state at the beginning of my experience that I wasn't sure if you would classify my story as "Paranormal" or not, so I wasn't sure whether to post it here... But obviously somebody had a problem with it 😢

Cheers,

Cat ❤
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-01)
Cat_Angel86 - if I'm not mistaken, I think I've read stories on our site about floating lights. Right now I'm a little busy trying to keep an idiot from trashing other people's stories, as well as get new stories on site.

If I get a chance, I'll see if I can find some of the stories and provide you with the links to them. Hopefully some of our other members will take pity on me in the meantime and help you with that.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: