You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Three Knocks On The Desk

Real Ghost Stories

Three Knocks On The Desk

 

Only a couple years after my mom's Ouija experience, at 8 years old is when I started noticing odd things going on around me. My mom and first stepdad had divorced and now at that the time of this occurrence we lived with my grandfather in Moore, Oklahoma.

Now in the room we shared, my mom and I, sat a desk with mirror and two drawers on either side. My grandfather bought it at an antique store. The drawers had keyholes in the bottom ones, and no keys came with. My grandfather paid a nice price for it so, therefore, made it off limits.

One afternoon, my cousin and I were sitting in the my room talking about all the weird things that had happened to her, my mom, and myself. I was sitting on a couple of boxes, and she was sitting on the bed across the room. My grandpa, mom, and grandma were outside taking care of outside yard work at the time.

While in mid conversation, we heard three soft knocks coming from the direction of the desk. We looked at each other, laughed and then started our conversation up again when we heard three more knocks and what sounded like a drawer slide open. So this time, I stand up and she jumps off the bed towards me.

We were standing next to each other and are looking at the desk. We both see the drawer had been opened so we screamed as loud as we could and our grandpa ran in and asked us why we're screaming. We told him what happened, and he got mad because he thought we opened it and were messing with his precious antique.

We left the room, scared out of our minds, and told my mom. She said that she had heard knocking come from the desk before, but always left the room when she did.

To this day my grandpa doesn't believe the drawer opened itself and he told us he never had keys to the desk. It was always locked and had decided against possibly ruining the value if he had accidentally broke the locks.

By the way the drawer had a brick in it, and a small piece of paper that my grandpa had grabbed and disposed of before we could read it.

Other hauntings by spiritwaiting

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Oklahoma

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, spiritwaiting, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

ladydarke (113 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-27)
This is going to sound bizarre and maybe I'm just completely wrong, but in your grandfather's house -- to the far left side of the house, if you were standing outside looking at the front door -- is there a woman's pump or high-heeled shoe? Possibly a representation of a shoe rather than a real one, like a statue or lamp or some kind of decoration in the shape of a shoe. And, down in the toe of this shoe, is there concealed a ouanga of some sort?

I feel kind of weird for suggesting this and quite possibly that's all just bonkers, but if you're in your grandfather's area, perhaps you wouldn't mind checking just to see if there's anything to it?
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-27)
[at] ladydarke, yes he certainly does have that sort of house. When my mom and I stayed there for a bit, terrifying occurences happened. He always denied ever experiencing anything, and would chalk it up to our imaginations. Now hes depressed,angry, very distant from the family. And has recently become addicted to pills. It seems the vibe inside the home has become worse over the years. It could be the land the home was built on, or some of his belongings. It seems to have focused on my grandfather. My step-grandmother is completly afraid to sleep alone in her room.
ladydarke (113 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-27)
Oh, your poor grandfather has _that_ kind of house. Do you know if it's the house itself or is the source something in the house, like perhaps if he has many antiques, there's a collective pool of dark energy emanating from several pieces?

I'd think that any kind of cleanse you could do on his house would be a wonderful gift and gesture. Since I gather you're not in the area, some energy work over distance would be a good thing, though you should probably ask him for permission first in some way or form that he might more easily understand or agree to. If he's at all religious, you might phrase it as asking if he'd mind if you prayed for him.

I grew up in a house like that, and my father has what I would also describe as 'distance' even though they sold the house some years ago. In my father's case, I believe that the distance is due to heavy shielding, done unconsciously and in self-defense. Do you think the same could be true of your grandfather?

As for the vanity, knowing it belonged to a lady seems to indicate its probably a feminine energy attached to it. If you did try to communicate, that might help "tuning in" to her. I also think that the vanity drawers used to be a place where ladies would stash their personal correspondence, weren't they? My guess really would be that the note was an old love letter, something important enough that she kept it for her whole life and still needed closure over it into her afterlife.
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-26)
Oh I forgot to answer the question, I don't think he read it, And no I never asked him. Hmmm... I believe I will next time I speak with him. Oh and to add, my grandfather still lives in that house in Moore,Ok. He has had many problems there. Hes very distant, and the house gives off a very dark energy, from the time you step foot on the front porch.
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-26)
ladydarke, I was trying to find the right name for it, and you said it. Its a vanity, two drawers on either side and a small matching bench. Its a darker wood maybe cherry, not sure though. And the markings and woodwork are beautiful and creepy. I've been around antiques my whole life, as my mom was quite the collector. So it reminds me of a 1920's style vanity. I will definitely try your suggestion, as over the years I have learned to spiritually protect myself. Thank you for reading and commenting
ladydarke (113 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-25)
You know, the only real purpose that comes to mind for affixing a note to a brick is to throw it. Isn't that a mainstay of old cartoons: tying a note to a brick and pitching it through a window?

If that was the case here, the note could have been some old regret - maybe a declined invitation from a lover to run away/come talk/not get married to someone else. It seems that might have merited keeping it locked away, brick included. Powerful regret might also be a reason to keep a presence lingering.

Do you know if your grandfather read the note himself before tossing it? If he didn't, then I suppose there's no way to really know.: (

You could perhaps address the area around the desk and try to "hear" or sense any response that might come to you, though attempting to communicate might make things more restless and you probably shouldn't do so unless you have some idea how to protect yourself and offer follow-through help for the spirit if needed. From the strong creepy feel, it sounds like there's a lot of energy pent up there. Possibly it was more active after your grandfather first acquired the desk because the change of hands sort of woke it up, and with you and your mom being in the same room, it tried to reach out and sort of tell its story through the note. It may be telling the story, and perhaps receiving some commiseration or confirmation that the choices made were okay, is the closure it needs to move on.

Just curious, does the desk look like it might have been a heavier man's sort of desk or more like a lady's secretaire or writing desk? As you said it was an antique, I wondered if it conformed to that older style of furniture gender-stereotyping, for lack of a better term. :P The mirror makes it sound like a woman's desk or vanity.

Very interesting story, thank you for sharing.
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-25)
Valikcry, wow, see I've never really checked the desk persay. It really creeped me out, and still does when I go anywhere near it. And yes I follow what you were trying to say, I will definitely check it out more thoroughly next time I visit his home. [at] Seraphina,yes I guess this did, I most definitely came to the right site for this experience. And [at] valikcry the "pull" I can only describe it as energy pulling me to it and then pushing away. Its freaky to say the least.
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-25)
[at] Nectarvore, I would love to hear about the superstition about applewood. Please tell me. I'm a superstitious person, to a degree myself. And have never heard of something like that before. 😊
Nectarvore (1 stories) (226 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-24)
Miracles... Definitely. There was a superstition about cutting elder or building with apple wood for that reason. Angry fey.:)
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-08)
Nectarvore - you brought up a very valid point when you said "If houses or trees can have spirits attached themselves to them, I don't see why objects can't too." If you think about it, trees are full of energy; therefore, when cut down and used for building materials, whether it's for a house or to make furniture, that energy would still be in the wood. This is just my opinion, of course.

There are people who can feel energy from objects, and the more emotion tied to the object the stronger the energy and it's easier for someone to feel.
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-08)
Spirit, I just saw something on a TV show about some bricks baring the manufacturer's mark. Maybe that brick was kept as a souvenir of sorts. Like the company that made it going out of business and X had worked there for years. Anyway, if you ever get a chance to look at it, maybe you could find out if there is a mark and use that to help research about the desk.
I understand what you mean about the 'pull' from the desk. Maybe there's more to be discovered either about or in it. My desk is an old teacher's desk from 1942,it's oak and slate, but the interesting part is on the bottom of the top (that reads weird but I think you follow?) some worker had made his mark (in this case a cartoonish man's head smoking a pipe) along with the year. There's also a manufacture's stamp. Maybe it is the same with your desk?
Nectarvore (1 stories) (226 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-08)
Yeah, strange. If houses or trees can have spirits attached themselves to them, I don't see why objects can't too.
Seraphina (7 stories) (147 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-06)
A very interesting unsolved mystery, Spiritwaiting. It's started everyone's imagination going 😊
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-06)
There is not another sight like this. 😁 Should be provenance somewhere about the desk shouldn't there?
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-06)
[at] Missy M,you had me busting a gut, I like that. And [at] Misspants12, I've tried asking my grandpa about it, and he just tells me the same thing. Its an antique. But great suggestion, I will definitly try to go over it and try to find something. Thanks for the laugh and awesome idea. 😊
MissyM (2 stories) (152 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-06)
Maybe the note read "if you build it they will come" hence the brick...lol
Misspants12 (1 stories) (5 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-06)
Wow that's creepy!

Have you tried looking to see when the desk was made? Maybe its rare or custom made and you can find out something about its past or who owned it.
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-06)
[at] valkricry and shlain, I've always wondered myself, about the brick. I bring that occurence up everytime I visit my grandpa and he always seems to change the subject. He still has that desk, it omits a very strong pull from it. Well that's the only way I can explain what I feel when I am around it. And thanks to you both for reading and commenting. 😊
Shlain (13 stories) (246 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-06)
A brick and a piece of paper? Mmm, I'm thinking suicide note. But this could just be my imagination running wild. The note I can understand, but why lock a brick away...?
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-05)
A brick? Odd thing to lock up in a desk. Too bad you didn't get a chance to read the paper, it might have explained why the brick was there. I wonder why your grandfather destroyed it?
Obviously, by the knocking someone wanted it noticed, but why? Guess we'll never know.
Thanks for sharing!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: