You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Grandma Marie

Real Ghost Stories

Grandma Marie

 

In August of 2018 Grandma Marie passed away.

This of whom I'm speaking of in this, my Husband's paternal grandmother.

Before she passed away, over the month before I had started thinking of her quite frequently.

She would just pop up in my thoughts out of the blue. We had even talked about going to visit her the weekend before she passed.

My husband received that phone call, the morning we were going to visit.

After the funeral and saying our goodbyes, we had arrived home.

All of us, shuffling around the house trying to find something else to dress in.

The dryer is in the lounge room, and I had some clothes still sitting in it, from a previous turn of washing. So we all took turns one by one going in and out of the room.

I was the first to notice her smell. She had a perfume/home smell that only she could make.

I hadn't said anything, I spoke to her in my head, "ok,I know your here to say goodbye, I hope your finally resting " and continued on my search for a pair of sweatpants.

Then my oldest son said "Mom I smell grandma",I said " I know she's here",and he went onto his room, then my husband said it out loud, so the last two kids come running in.

My husbands excuse for this random smell to linger only in one spot was" oh we must have the smell on our clothes."

I said "ok,whatever you believe, but she's here".

I've had some other experiences but not enough to really write about.

I've been trying to write this since this happened, but when I do something just so happens to go haywire with my phone or I get distracted.

Thanks for reading

Other hauntings by spiritwaiting

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Oklahoma

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, spiritwaiting, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2018-11-23)
Thank you to all of you who have commented and read this.

Sorry for the late response I'm not sure how long it's been posted.I've had such a busy couple months as of lately and any time spent is never sitting down 😢.

Red OMG! Lol yes! That was definitely her. The shoe tossing, switch grabbing, anything around throwing grandma.

But she had this presence that everyone clinged to. She was old school in all she did, so it wouldn't surprise me if she had cussed him in a dream.

Augusta,
My hubby most definitely tries to deny the "Anything paranormal",I believe it freaks him out so I try not to engage him in anything the kids or I experience, but I won't deny or pretend it's not happening either. So he just pretends it's not happening.

Lady-Glow,
I'm certainly hope she wasn't lol she would definitely find a way to show him she's here.

Jubilee,
That's a good point you made. I would have never thought to ask permission to write this. It reminds me when I almost automatically read someone I have to remember "I need to ask permission",because it's an invasion of privacy. But it's a natural thing so I've learned over the years to stop doing that.

Curious,
It most definitely was a validation for myself and the kids. We weren't expecting that. And I knew where she stood with her beliefs in the afterlife, I just figured we wouldn't get a visit for a while. It was shocking and amazing in the same breath.

Again thank you all for reading.

Sincerely
Spiritwaiting
CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2018-11-20)
Redwolf - You gave me such a good laugh! I was born in the late 70's, but know all about the shoe throwing grandma. Hahaha! Thanks, I needed that 😁

Dee
CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2018-11-20)
Spiritwaiting,

My condolences on your loss. It sounds like your husband's grandmother 'stopped by' to reassure you both. I know many people who have smelled a scent belonging to a passed loved one (myself included). The fact that you, your husband and son smelled her perfume is quite validating. 😊

Thank you for sharing ❤
Dee
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2018-11-20)
I'm sorry for your loss. I'm surprised your husbands grandmother didn't either throw a soft shoe at him or give him a swat for denying she was there. 😁 Everybody who was born before the mid 1970's had at least 1 shoe tossing grandma 😆.

Red
Jubeele (25 stories) (882 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2018-11-19)
Hi spiritwaiting, my condolences for the loss of your Grandma Marie. Rex-T's aunt passed away in August 2018 too. She was like a second mother to us. The night we heard the news of her passing, I was thinking of her and smelled her cigarette smoke. Then again the night before her funeral. It was odd because we and our neighbours don't smoke either, and we live in a non-smoking building complex.

I think Grandma Marie has been in your thoughts because of your close connection. The scent is her way of telling you she came by for a visit. But some people aren't ready to for the experience.

Perhaps you weren't able to write this until now because the timing wasn't right. I've had that happen when I first tried to write about my Grandma's house. I had to ask aloud for her permission before the words would come.

Best wishes to you and your family. Take care.
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2018-11-13)
My mother is very similar to your husband in her denial of blatant signs of paranormal activity. She was devastated when her parents passed away but since then (1989), she has had many creditable paranormal visits from them yet she firmly denies the existence of ghosts or any form of afterlife. It's quite puzzling but maybe it is a form of cognitive dissonance - as the memory of losing her parents is even now quite raw and painful and the unknown hereafter is shady and uncertain, she denies what she is experiencing as it is a more comfortable resolution.

I figure my mother's parents and your husband's grandmother -knowing their descendants well- simply shake their heads and chuckle at their denials knowing that deep in their hearts they know what they have just experienced even if their minds are too afraid to consciously acknowledge it.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2018-11-12)
I'm sorry for your loss.

I hope Grandma Marie didn't get disappointed by her grandson's denial of her presence... At least the rest of the family acknowledge her.
May she rest in peace.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: