You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Paranormal Activity In The 70's

Real Ghost Stories

Paranormal Activity In The 70's

 

I have experienced strange phenomena throughout my whole life. I was born in 1962 in San Diego. My parents had always been into paranormal and supernatural phenomena.

When I was about 13 years old they got a Ouija board. They used it right away and had much fun doing so. I don't know exactly what happened but at a point they stopped and changed a lot. They were frequently anxious and decided that they should burn the Ouija board and never use one again. They eventually burned it and got rid of it that way. I wasn't really interested in hearing why back then. I was busy with my crush who would turn out to be the love of my life. We were both girls so I often stayed away from home. I didn't feel like giving my parents hints that I was in love with a girl. What I didn't know was that there already was paranormal activity going on.

At age 14 I felt more comfortable inviting my girlfriend over and so I was home more often. I, at that point, wasn't very close with my parents anymore. They were rather distant and looked depressed. It was then that I started to notice the paranormal activity. It started with all the kitchen cabinets being open, even though I had closed them. Stuff would move from place to place, my parents had mood swings, my cat would also stare at "something" and run away very fast.

I recall a particular incident. I skipped school with my girlfriend that day and we decided to go to my place. She went to my room and I asked her what she wanted to drink. I went to the kitchen to get it. While I was pouring in the drink she asked for, I saw something walk by. It disappeared behind a closet. At the same time a book fell from a book shelf. I thought it was odd. I also heard my girlfriend say something, so when I went back, I asked what she was saying. She then sat there in disbelief with wide open eyes. She then told me that "I" was standing there in the door opening seconds before I actually arrived. According to her I was just standing there with my back directed to her. She couldn't see my face, obviously. And when she asked me a few times what was wrong, she saw me step in the, then disappearing spirit, that had I guess copied my physical appearance. I had not seen it myself, but I did see something walk by when I was pouring in her drink.

Afterwards we had more odd experiences such as seeing shadows and even a basketball rolling into our direction. These thing happened on a daily basis.

Sure, I asked my parents what was happening, but they decided it would be a good idea to just ignore whatever I said and tell me that I'm just hallucinating and had been doing drugs. (Basically, mentioning it would only make us argue and fight.)

At a point I couldn't stand the depressing atmosphere in the house and the fighting with my parents so I moved out at age 18 in 1980 with my girlfriend. In the apartment we moved to nothing happened. At least, the first few years we lived there. My parents did not divorce but they have never been in a caring or loving relationship anymore either.

So many things have happened but this is something I still don't get. Why didn't my parents do anything about it? Weren't we supposed to get a priest involved or anything? And what was the point of the weird doppelganger ghost appearing? I can't really ask my parents about it since I haven't spoken to them for years.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, reincarnation, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-10-03)
Hi reincarnation, welcome to YGS. It is sad about the relationship between your parents and you that got sore and that you have not been speaking to them for years. I just want to ask a question or two. Are they living in the same house? As Val said, if they are into paranormal, then they should be more understanding. I feel something must have happened when they had a session with the Ouija. I don't know if it had been closed properly and then you said that it was burnt. If it had not been closed properly, then burning complicates the problem.

Still I feel that the moods of your parents, their depressed state and their relationship towards you are connected to their Ouija Board session. But I can't be sure.

Can you, for whatever it is worth, try to mend fences with your parents, try to find out what happened. Because it is in their interests that you would asking these questions and who knows, if they come out openly and you post it in our sites, perhaps we could help.

Well Ari, like Val said, you have come from your long holidays at last. Welcome back buddy.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+1
10 years ago (2013-10-03)
Hi Ari! I was just wondering where you were. You've been missed. 😊
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-02)
Dear reincarnation,
Just as dear Holmes and B4Freya said, I am so sorry about the way the relationship between your parents and you turned out to be 😐
About the paranormal, I am rather ill-equipped and considerably inexperienced when compared to my esteemed friends on this site.So, I would just stay that I too found your narrative a li'l confusing, much like Val.
Thanks for sharing though.

Regards

Psst...Hello Holmes.Don't punch me 😨
B4Freya (4 stories) (26 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-02)
I'm so sorry about your parents turning away as they did. I can't help but wonder if they're dealings with the paranormal steered them down a very bad path that ultimately destroyed their relationship with you.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+3
10 years ago (2013-10-02)
reincarnation,
I did find your story rather confusing. Well, let me clarify that, not your story per se but the situation. Here we have parents that "had always been into paranormal and supernatural phenomena," yet when you go to them with such activity they brush it off, and basically tell you that you are either high or crazy. One would think they would have been more understanding. Or at least interested. After all 13-14 is peak for poltergeist activity. I can understand denial up to a point, sometimes parents will not say anything or support thinking they're somehow protecting you from being scared. But in your case they seemed somewhat harsh.
It's a hard call on whether the Ouija had anything to do with the change in them. There's much as kids we just aren't privy to. Back in the 70's so many stayed together for 'the sake of the child'. But the anxiety and decision to burn the thing makes me think something must have happened. It could be they felt responsible for the activity, even blamed each other, but were trying to pretend it didn't exist. Calling in a priest would be an admittance that something was wrong. Of course this is just conjecture on my part, there's no way of knowing for sure.
I am sorry for the rift in your family. I wish I had words that could make you feel better about the whole thing but I don't.
rosemay (52 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-02)
Some people think its easier to ignore things than dealing with them. Maybe for a time, but at some point and especially when children are involved, a line has to be drawn and parents have to take a stand.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: