You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Who Answered The Phone?

Real Ghost Stories

Who Answered The Phone?

 

I am a 30 year old insurance adjuster who has both law enforcement and military experience. I have always believed in ghosts, and have always had an interest in "ghost stories," paranormal TV shows, etc., but until recently can't say I've had a definitive experience.

I was on my way to inspect an insurance claim in a big old Victorian house in New Castle, PA. As part of our protocol, we always call the homeowner when we are about a half hour away to make sure they remembered the appointment, will be ready for us, are home, etc. I had the home phone number and the cell phone number of our insured for this claim, and called the home phone first.

A very strange sounding voice answered. I could not tell if this person was a child, or a very old woman... It had this raspy, high pitched... Odd sounding voice. Do a google or Youtube search for Sophie Maslaw, former mayor of Pittsburgh, and you'll hear exactly the type of voice I'm referring to. There was a lot of static, and it was just weird.

Anyways, this voice on the other end sounded very confused and could barely hear me. We went back and forth with the "hello can you hear me?" "barely, can you hear me" "hello?" etc for about 30 seconds trying to communicate until I gave up. I thought we might have a bad connection, so I hung up and called back. This time the call went into voicemail, which was your standard "You have reached 7 2 4 3 3..." robot voicemail. I called the cell phone I had on file and received that voicemail as well.

When I arrived, there was nobody home. I knocked on the door several times, rang the doorbell, stood around for a few minutes, called both phones again and received voicemail, and started walking back to the car. As I'm getting in my car, the homeowner shows up. The homeowner is a normal speaking woman in her mid 30's. She apologizes that she missed my calls, and told me she was in a hair appointment. I told her that I had spoken to someone at her house on the landline but we had a hard time understanding each other. She got a very concerned look on her face, and tells me, "You must have called the wrong number because nobody else is home." So I look at my phone and recite back to her the number I called, which was, in fact, the correct number.

So we go into her home, and she looks at the Caller ID on her landline. Sure enough, my calls showed up on Caller ID. There were two missed calls for the times when I called and received the voicemail, and there was one received call. At this point, the homeowner breaks down. She tells me, "I have been telling my husband for months now, ever since we moved in, that this place is haunted and he doesn't believe me." She is so upset she is shaking, and had to leave the house. I explained to her that I don't know what happened, and all I know is I called and briefly spoke with someone. She thought maybe I called and got the voicemail and confused that for speaking with someone - but the voicemail clearly was not a strange voice saying "hello, can you hear me" repeatedly. The Caller ID also showed received calls vs missed calls, and the first call from my number was showing as a received call.

I asked her if maybe someone had broken into her house and if we should call the police. She did not want to do that, so I checked all the doors and windows and the house seemed secure. She also had a security system that she had to disarm when we entered, which had not gone off. The kids were at school, her husband was at work, and she claims nobody else would have any reason to go into her house during the day. She even called a few people to confirm nobody had been at the house.

At this point, I'm pretty freaked out. Of course the damage for her insurance claim was in the creepy-as-hell basement, where I had to go down by myself. Nothing else unusual happened, but when I left, the homeowner would still not go into the house by herself and told me she was going to her mother's for the rest of the day. She asked me repeatedly if her husband put me up to this, or if I really called the wrong number or think the lines were crossed. I just wanted to calm her down and told her the lines were probably crossed, but I have no idea if that is even possible anymore.

The bottom line is that I called this house and received a strange sounding person on the other end of the line when nobody was home. The Caller ID verified that I called the house at that time and the call was received, but nobody was there. The house was secure with an active security system. Also what made this strange was that the homeowner stated she had previous reason to believe the house was haunted. I never told her what the person on the other end of the phone sounded like. When I asked her why she thinks the house is haunted, she tells me that she has heard an old lady's voice talking in the house when nobody else was home.

This still isn't the definitive ghost experience I have been looking for, as I'm sure there are a variety of possibilities as to what could have happened... But this is enough to keep my interest alive.

Other hauntings by NorthCoastie

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Pennsylvania

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, NorthCoastie, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

browndl (1 posts)
+3
9 years ago (2015-04-06)
I called home today and an unknown voice answered. It sounded like an older lady and she said "Hello". I said "hello" and asked "who am I speaking with", having thought I possibly dialed the wrong number. They ignored me and said "hello" again and I said "hello" and hung up, convinced it was the wrong number. I then re-dialed my home number and the line was busy. I called back again and it went directly to answering machine. I called my wife's cell phone number and she stated that she was away from the house. I explained the weird confusion and she was a little spooked that someone may be in our house. She came home and to our surprise, the entire convo between myself and the voice was recorded on our answering machine. We are more than a little creeped out. Our house is an 1880's Victorian Style home with plenty of history. We've been here 9 years and nothing like this.
STARRCHiCC14 (31 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-10-27)
Your story sounds paranormal to me. I feel sorry for the homeowner, she was so scared as what you described. Anyways, thank you for sharing!
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
+3
10 years ago (2013-10-24)
Wow! Excellent story and very creepy. Thanks so much for sharing this with us and I hope you'll let us know if you hear anything else from this woman (the homeowner... Not the one answering the phone...lol). Sounds like you did finally get a ghostly encounter... And one of the strangest kinds to boot.
NorthCoastie (4 stories) (72 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2013-10-24)
Honestly it did just sound like someone very confused and distant... Nothing really scary, the voice was kind of creepy in itself, but other than that, it was just a typical hard-to-hear-you-can-you-hear-me type phone conversation.
SirenBelva (7 stories) (64 posts)
+3
10 years ago (2013-10-24)
Put this story in my favorites! I hate that the lady is so afraid of her own home. It didn't sound like the spirit was trying to be scary. Maybe the spirit just wants someone to talk to! ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜‰
NorthCoastie (4 stories) (72 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-24)
Granny - New Castle is a pain, half the roads are either closed, or impassible due to pot holes!

Eastern Ohio and Western PA and surrounding areas have a whole lot of great haunted places to tour. Moundsville Penitentiary in West Virginia is an easy day trip from here too, and they do overnight tours. Old Fort Niagara is about a 2.5 - 3 hour drive from where I live. I get the opportunity to camp out there 2-3 times a year for historical/reenactment weekends, still on the fence over that place being haunted though.
Randcan (62 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-10-24)
Northcoastie--sounds like an encounter. Congratulations. Spirits are pure energy and they can use their thoughts to affect anything electrical, because their/our thoughts are a kind of electrical energy. Ever since the first telephone communications, voices of the "dead" started to get picked up. Good and bad spirits can speak through your phone. They can jump in on someone else's recorded message or they can ring it, and leave their own, or as with your experience... Speak to you directly. If you want more experiences like that, then you can buy an inexpensive digital recorder and start to record EVPs. Once you've got contact going, you can ask them to ring your phone. But Remember -- before each session, cause yourself to feel love inside you as you assert a confident prayer of protection, because evil spirits are also eager to communicate, and may pretend to be friendly/innocent. And once you open a channel, you've then invited spirits to interact, and they can then cause physical phenomena in your life/home; which most of the time is unsettling, no matter if it's a good spirit or bad.
Yalisai (1 stories) (26 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-10-24)
Very scary! An interesting narration as well. You have got all the logical reasoning to clear out the fact that this was not something to be ignored.

From your story it looks like the house owner lady already knew that something is going wrong in her home. But didn't want to share it with you.

Should be a chilling expirience to you!

Thanks for sharing.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
10 years ago (2013-10-23)
NorthCoastie: Methinks you have had a bona fide paranormal experience! ๐Ÿ˜† Poor old lady, it makes you wonder if she's just trying to reach out. That entire area of Northeast Ohio/Western Pennsylvania is exactly as you described. Sometimes I think it's that depression that draws many spirits. Very haunted area of the country.

If you ever get the chance to do the overnight investigation at Hill View Manor, by all means, do it. We're still working on our stories LOL, but our experiences were amazing.

Side note: I found New Castle a pain in the butt to get around in. It covers such a large area for a small population. ๐Ÿ˜†
elfstone810 (227 posts)
+3
10 years ago (2013-10-23)
This is great! I love your stories. ๐Ÿ˜

And I laughed at you having to go down into the basement "of course"!

I've never had anything like this happen to me, but years ago I read a whole book of similar stories. It gave me pause a few years ago. I was hooking my house up to the big breaker box on the pole when I tried to put a panel on wrong (long story) an made fire shoot out of the box. I went around for a good ten minutes worrying about how I'd know if I was really dead (home alone in the middle of nowhere). I considered calling someone -- but people get phone calls from the dead, so? ๐Ÿ˜ฒ
Narella (guest)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-23)
NorthCoastie: This story is going on my favorite's list. I don't doubt you had a paranoramal experience. I hope the homeowner can convince her husband what's going on. Thanks for sharing!
NorthCoastie (4 stories) (72 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-23)
josephgogi - that is really something about the phone calls your father-in-law received... I had an aunt who had a similar experience - would get phone calls that showed up as "unknown caller" for months after my uncle died. When she would answer, it would be static.

I told my phone story to some coworkers, and one of them had a very similar experience at his fraternity house - back in the days before cell phones, people would call their landline and a female voice would answer and say "nobody is home" and hang up. This actually happened to him once when he was headed up over Christmas Break to pick some things up at the house - he called to see if anyone else was there before he went, and this lady answered. When he got there an hour later, nobody was around.
NorthCoastie (4 stories) (72 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-23)
I've actually never been to Hill View Manor in New Castle, but I've heard lots of stories about it. New Castle is a pretty creepy town in general... Similar to Youngstown which isn't too far... Almost a mini-Detroit where they have lost over half the population over the past 50 years and are left with crumbling infrastructure and a lot of large, old abandoned homes. There are entire blocks of abandoned Victorian style homes that would be $800,000 houses were they in nicer neighborhoods but instead you can buy for $1 and paying off whatever liens are on the property.

When I say this is my "definitive" ghost experience, I mean this is that event that I can't explain away. I've went over every other possibility in my head, and nothing seems to fit other than A.) it was a ghost or B.) a real live person answered the phone... The problem with b. Is the homeowner's reaction (she was terrified), the security system having been on and not tripped, and the lack of a motive. If it was someone messing with me, why would you mess with an insurance adjuster at your house to inspect a claim?

I've had some other experiences, one which is another story I submitted (On a jog past an old abandoned school I looked in to see the lights on, people through the windows, etc, when the school was abandoned, no power, boarded up, only to realize what I saw didn't fit until I had passed the school) - however, with that and other experiences, I have to factor in my own imagination, illusions, daydreaming, etc. I've also had a few waking up in the middle of the night and seeing something in my room type experiences, which I 100% believe are dream related hallucinations and not paranormal (which is why I love to debunk similar experiences people have on here, there is medical / scientific research supporting sleep related hallucinations). With this phone incident, I have corresponding proof, i.e. Caller ID proving there was a received call when allegedly there was nobody home, a homeowner who I find out afterwards thought the house was haunted -- proof that I wasn't imagining this.
josephgogi (2 stories) (34 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2013-10-23)
My mother-in-law passed away May 2013. About two weeks later my father-in-law was removing some of her items from a shelf when his cell phone rang. The caller ID read 'mamO' just like that with a capital 'O' at the end. That was her cell phone ID. He was confused because he had stored her phone away and turned it off. When he went to go check it was still in the same place he had stored it and no one else was in the house.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+1
10 years ago (2013-10-23)
Well, it sounds pretty paranormal to me lol. Interesting that the voice you heard over the phone could fit the description of the voice the homeowner heard.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
10 years ago (2013-10-23)
NorthCoastie - OMG I cannot believe I forgot to mention this ๐Ÿ˜† Stephyw2001 just reminded me (thanks, Stephy LOL) Where this story took place, New Castle, PA, is where some of my friends and I (including mod zzsgranny, clever210, cosmogal926) went on a ghost tour at the end of June. We went to Haunted Hill View Manor and had a great time.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
10 years ago (2013-10-23)
NorthCoastie - like samtillie, I love your story too. Even though this might not have been the "definitive ghost experience" you are looking for, I'd have to chalk this one up on the paranormal side. I know you, or someone else, can sit there and come up with all kinds of logical reasons to explain it away, but at the end of the day, there's an old woman still living in the home ๐Ÿ˜‰ ๐Ÿ˜†

I've had that phone thing happen a couple of times. Very funny and interesting. Especially when my cell phone doesn't have service at my house and it calls someone ๐Ÿ˜†
samtillie (5 stories) (242 posts)
+3
10 years ago (2013-10-23)
Hi, I love your story, very different to the others posted but still very interesting. If it was me that had experienced this I would have also thought it was paranormal due to the fact the lady said her home was haunted away.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: