You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ghost Hunting :: Witch Hunt

Real Ghost Stories

Witch Hunt

 

This was back when I used to "ghost bust" with friends, and was one of the first times that I went ghost hunting. Usually, I would go to this an old historical war marker that's just outside my town that I used to visit during childhood field trips that's 30 minutes out of town but, there is an old cemetery a few miles down the street that I decided to go on this trip.

I was at my friend Aaron's house playing video games with him on the couch in his living room when he brought up the idea of going on another ghost hunt, which I didn't hesitate to agree to. He also suggested that we bring another person along with us and since Kaitlyn, my best friend, was out of town at the time, I chose Brayden. He also didn't mind going since I had recently got him into ghost hunting.

We all met up at the fanciest McDonald's in town about an hour before 1am and discussed what we would be doing and where we would go. Aaron suggested we go somewhere different so, I suggested the cemetery that was down the street from the fort that we usually go to. They agreed and we were on our way, arriving at the grave site approximately around a little over 2am. The gate was usually sealed off but, there was a low point in the gate that you could literally just walk over, which we did.

We turned on our flashlights. I didn't bother with my ghost app on this hunt because it was a new place for me. I like to just walk around and get the feeling of an unfamiliar territory before I decide upon the app so, for now, I kept it away and used my flashlight. There were many many graves. Many old ones. Some new burials. All 3 of us had split up and went our own separate directions the moment we entered the gate, to cover the entire grounds quicker. I had went towards the back, Aaron took middle, and Brayden stayed with the graves along the front of the yard. We wandered our positions until we heard Aaron call us over to where he was.

There were 2 graves, enclosed in a gate, separating them from the rest. There was a normal sized stone, and a rather small one. I threw out the possibility of them being the owners of the graveyard and Aaron quickly corrected me. He started to explain the REAL reason why he wanted to come to that specific grave yard. Because of these two graves. Dead center in the middle of the site but, gated off for some strange reason. He had done some research and sites have said that back in the 1800's a mother was burned at the stake for the assumption that she was a witch and had gotten caught practicing witchcraft. Her baby was burned as well for IT was considered a witch too. Thus, explaining the baby tombstone next to the normal sized one.

It was sad to think about. I felt bad for them. Burned at the stake. It's horrible...

After giving my condolences, we all went back to our normal positions across the grave site. I lingered in the back. There was just crop pasture further back behind where the back of the site ended. Just dirt. You would probably see the first 30 feet of it and then pitch black darkness for the lack of light. It was eerie. Like looking out into the void. I had walked from one back end corner to the other when I heard some kind of calm whistle. That's what I thought I was hearing anyway up until, I slowed my breathing and focused my hearing on that dark void in the distance, where the sound had seemed to be coming from. It stopped as soon as I had noticed it and I called my friends over to where I was and told them about it. I remember Brayden snorting at me, "You think someone whistled... At YOU?"

I was too focused on the void in the distance to care about his dumb comment. I felt like there was something out there. I felt it in my gut. Unlike Brayden, Aaron actually believed me and said that we should all wait there to see if it happens again for them ALL to hear and so we did. We waited for a good 10 minutes before we heard that same similar sound but, this time it was different.

It was different because it was closer and we could all hear it better...

It sounded as if it were just on the brink of where our flashlights met the start of the dark void. It was so much closer than before. The thing that made us all stop breathing and moving all together, was the sound that it REALLY was.

It sounded like a woman sobbing to herself...

None of us could believe what we were hearing. Surely there wouldn't be a random woman out in the middle of a huge open pasture sobbing to herself. It just didn't make sense. Yet, we were too afraid to move. We stayed as still as we could until the sobbing had an abrupt pause in it, as if we had been noticed by whoever it was. We were terrified. It was as if we couldn't see it but, it could see US.

Aaron had whispered, "guys..." and we both turned only our eyes towards him. He had the most absolute, freakiest terror face I had ever seen on anyone. It was as if he were looking at it and we couldn't. That's what the expression on his face gave from looking at it.

"The witch..."

I almost went into panic. Was it possible that he was actually seeing her? Was it really the freaking witch that we had just stumbled upon? I didn't know what to do or what to say. Brayden was the main skeptic of the group and he had no words or smart remarks as usual. He just kept his face fixed on the void. We all did. Then the most absolute freakiest thing happened.

The woman snickered...

With that, Aaron was the first one to take off towards the car. Brayden and I weren't far behind either. It was one of those panic runs, where you can't scream but, your legs do the screaming FOR you? That's how it was all the way to the car, it was probably the most awkward silent sprint ever but, we were only focused on the car. We were terrified.

I asked Aaron the moment I started the ignition and drove onto the street if he saw her. If he saw what she looked like. He said he didn't but, he could FEEL what she looked like and that was the most terrifying feeling ever. It was one of those things that you couldn't explain in detail. He said all he saw were images upon images.

When we were back at his place and calmed down a bit, we started drawing conclusions and Brayden and I, being the skeptics we are, can't find any reason for a random woman who would be out in the middle of a dirt crop field crying to herself, BY herself, 30 minutes away from town. It was illogical.

After doing thorough research about the site, it surprised me to see that there had ONCE been a rare report on the same mysterious crying coming from not the void but, from the graveyard itself. A man and his wife, were going to enter the graveyard during the day to take pictures when they heard the crying. It sounded like it was coming from the far end corner of the graveyard. Assuming that there was a woman grieving over a relative or friend who had passed, they wanted to let her have her moment so they left.

As they were driving by the grave yard to go back home however, they didn't see the woman anywhere. They didn't see anyone at all. After doing research as well they were led to believe that it was the witch who was burned at the stake as well.

Was it possible that we had come into contact with the same spirit who was burned at the stake? Did she target Aaron? These are the thoughts that we kept constantly asking each other throughout that night in hope that the other would have a for sure answer for. The main question in particular, was the woman's snicker. As if she were laughing at us. Could it have been a possible trap?

All thoughts, concerns, questions and comments are much appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read my experience!

Other hauntings by Gh0stHunter

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Gh0stHunter, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Gh0stHunter (10 stories) (71 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-03-22)
Okay so I did contact Aaron about this book he read up on and it was indeed a fluke apparently. He didn't hesitate to tell me over the phone that there was NO book whatsoever. So he did indeed lie to me and here I was putting that there was a witch who was burned.

So I do apologize for the confusion for the people who know their wits about witches. No baby and no witch were burned. So now, I have no idea what the two fenced off gravestones are for.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2018-01-14)
Gigakhan - I'm sorry to tell you, but... You have fell into the trap of GhostHunter's tale.😟

This story is based on facts historically inaccurate and is the product of a very active imagination.

Just check the link provided by roylynx. 😉
roylynx (guest)
+3
6 years ago (2018-01-14)
Late night here can I share something? Lol

Https://youtu.be/2lC2fqXIYoI

There
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-01-14)
Good morning! (In SA it is now 07:43). I didn't expect all the responses I received and will reply to them individually on your own most recent accounts.

This is after all Gh0sthunter's story thread.

Regards, Melda
Gigakhan (2 stories) (8 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2018-01-14)
Gh0stHunter, yes it seems to me that you and your friends nearly fell into the trap of the spirit. She snickered because she was looking forward to do whatever to you and your friends. I believe if you had gone into the darkness that night, something worse would have happened. My advice... Stay out of cemeteries after dark... Trust me, I learned the hard way.
Jubeele (25 stories) (882 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2018-01-13)
Puff (aka Rook Dygin), I thought I heard you calling us back. My heartfelt thanks for the lovely music. Yes, I will have that last Moondance with you. You've warmed my soul and restored my faith.

Melda, dear Melda. My dear Big Sister. Your steadfast friendship has helped me so much in those months when Rex-T was in hospital. Take comfort that you're much loved by us all. It's sad that all this negativity has been generated and I grieve at the hurt this has caused.

But this too shall pass...

Our loving wishes to you all
Jubeele, Rex-T & Big T-Rex ❤
Macknorton (5 stories) (646 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2018-01-13)
Hi Melda
Don't fixate on "karma" points.
Just get your honest opinion across in as a constructive way as possible. We all have our own methods on doing that.

There will ALWAYS be people who do not see the world in the same way as you, or agree with your personal philosophy on life and spirits etc but that's what makes life interesting in my opinion.

I enjoy a healthy robust debate but maybe people who are simply inarticulate have real trouble expressing themselves and therefore find the only way to argue / make their point is to down vote someone?

Regards
Mack
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-01-13)
Melda - your input and your opinion will always be worthier than their pettiness.

Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2018-01-13)
Melda - I hope you don't mind me adding my two cents. You wrote that, "This forum is no longer what it used to be". I would suggest it is. There are always periods on YGS when there seems to be a flurry of downvotes. I think just about anyone who's been on this site for an extended period of time has received negative karma points that seem completely out of the blue and unfounded. I have certainly received my share of 'em!

As the late great Lemmy once sang, "Don't let the bastards grind ya down". The people who have been your friends here are still your friends. As George Harrison once sang, "All things must pass", and this recent negative activity is bound to as well. Keep on keepin' on Melda.
EmmalineTexas (10 stories) (163 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2018-01-13)
Melda - I hope that you don't decide to leave YGS. This is a forum for discussion and we shouldn't feel the need to censor ourselves. As long as comments are made respectfully, I thought that was the point of having member posts. When I post on here, I fully expect some people to see things a different way and if we don't agree then that's fine. Different life experiences, difference in religion and in cultural background. I hope that you don't see this as me butting in. I mean it as a support to you and sympathy for being down arrowed. I personally would never do it unless someone was intentionally provoking conflict. Anyway... Just my two cents and I do hope that you stay.

Thank you,
Emma
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2018-01-13)
Tweed - You always come up with something worth thinking about. I think I know the poster you're referring to but don't know much about her. I didn't get the impression that she was nasty or aggressive. (Not sure whether we're talking about the same individual but we probably are - first four syllalbles identical)

When I say I don't know what I'm doing on YGS anymore, I seriously mean that. This forum is no longer what it used to be and what inspired me to join.

There honestly is somebody (or perhaps more than one person) going around down voting a few posters. I don't know the reason for this but it seems to be very selective.

I posted some bad comments recently and deserved to be down voted. I have now learnt that when it comes to matters of "principle", I need to take a back seat.

Thanks for your response, I appreciate it 😊

Regards, Melda
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
-1
6 years ago (2018-01-13)
Melda, I know you say you've said some things that may provoke a downvote or two. But I can't think why anyone would. You always communicate your opinions in a balanced fashion, regardless of who does or doesn't agree. So the idea of someone out to get you is hard to fathom.

I don't know if you've ever seen/read me letting someone have it. But it's ended with them deleting their account on a few occasions. It's calculated and timed on my part. I get a lot of downvotes. I get off on it.

The last couple of weeks I've noticed a new member with a name similar to yours. I don't remember this name, but I've mistaken them for you a couple of times. Perhaps your downvoter is mistaken identity. Just a thought. I have no idea what the other poster is like, and I'm not implying they're nasty/deceitful etc, I really have no idea. Only know there's another screen name on here similar to your own. 😊

To add a general, blunt and *constructive* observation in my absence this board appears to have become somewhat of an off topic tea party. That's all well and good, but I can understand why this might annoy some of the regulars who use the site for paranormal topics, not recipe ideas.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-01-13)
Rook - Thank you. What is irritating me is that a few people have been targeted recently and I have gone along removing negative votes where they don't belong. I am not only speaking for myself but for others as well.

If it gives the troll a good night's sleep then so be it.

Regards, Melda
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+4
6 years ago (2018-01-13)
Melda,

Considering I am the individual who placed the up vote my guess is one of two things have happened...

Either

A: Someone tried to give you a second positive vote and hit the wrong arrow (I have managed to do that before)

OR

B: For whatever reason someone really did not like the comment.

OR

C: Someone is 'out to get you'. Not that the Karma Points matter. Good comments stand on their own whether people like them or not.

So, don't sweat the small stuff... 😉

Respectfully,

Rook
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-01-13)
GhOstHunter, I'm afraid,
Is no more.
Now his name is BookHunter.

And cannot answer
To our questions
'cause he's roaming
Through the long Texas's roads
In search of evidence,
If not a book,
At least a pack
Of rabid wolves.

They say he's pure and innocent,
A magnet for spirits
I say naive and gullible
My friends, we are not.

Gosh! That moonshine is strong, one sip was enough to make me give a try to writing poetry.
Sorry.😝
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-01-13)
Trolls abound. Please stop this. I don't mind receiving negative points when I say stupid things but now I'm seriously starting to wonder what I am doing on YGS. Ten minutes ago I had a plus karma point for my comment to Rook and now it has disappeared.

Believe me when I say I'm not hooked on the plus points but to remove them for a sinister motive? I have noticed this happening to a few posters recently. They are down voted on perfectly reasonable comments. Whoever you are - get the hell off of YGS - you don't belong 😠 Now give me another negative, TROLL!

Regards, Melda
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-01-13)
Rook - I couldn't help myself, just had to reply to you! I actually jumped up from my chair and started singing bad moon rising and dancing! Oh wow - That song is going to stick in my mind for many days. One of my big time favourites when I was young 😁

Puff, I think Fergie's witblits got to you. You looked as though you were halfway to the moon and hanging onto something when I spotted you in the hot tub. Sheets I think. Then again, only two sheets and I believe there are three...

Regards, Melda
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+4
6 years ago (2018-01-13)
Jubeele,

MMMMMmmmm POTSTICKERS...Yummy! 😁

"Well, it's a marvelous night for a moondance
With the stars up above in your eyes
A fantabulous night to make romance
'Neath the cover of October skies
And all the leaves on the trees are falling
To the sound of the breezes that blow
And I'm trying to please to the calling
Of your heart-strings that play soft and low
And all the night's magic seems to whisper and hush
And all the soft moonlight seems to shine in your blush

Can I just have one more moondance with you, my love
Can I just make some more romance with you, my love..."

(Moondance By Van Morrison)

Gh0sthunter,

We await your arrival and hope you bring evidence to prove us wrong, but until then...

"I see a bad moon a-rising
I see trouble on the way
I see earthquakes and lightnin'
I see bad times today

Don't go 'round tonight
It's bound to take your life
There's a bad moon on the rise..."

(Bad Moon Rising By Creedence Clearwater Revival)

Puff (aka Rook Dygin)
Jubeele (25 stories) (882 posts)
+5
6 years ago (2018-01-13)
Val, I love how you put everything back into perspective! ❤ There are far more important life-and-death matters to worry about. Life's too short to dwell on such things.

Rex-T took me out for retail therapy today. Shopaholic bliss. I've also brought extra supplies of pot stickers for all. We have a Korean, as well as a Chinese grocery store. They stock different types of frozen dumplings, all ready to be steamed or fried. I usually steam first, then pan-fry them. Soft and chewy on top, then crispy on the underside.

Melda, we all have those "oops" moments. If I've offended anyone in the past, it wasn't intentional and I apologise unreservedly to all. Fergie, that moonshine is seriously potent <hic>. I think I see lady-glow over there, or is it 3 lady-glows? 😵
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-01-13)
Val - You're spot on. I know I definitely deserved minus points on two of my remarks. If I could take back those comments, I would. Unfortunately I feel pretty strongly about that subject and allowed my heart to govern my intelligent thinking. Not a big deal anymore for me but I understand why I annoyed a few people.

Regards, Melda
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-01-13)
Moonshine?... I prefer to call it moonglow! 🍹

Yikes... My bodysuit is almost ripping at the seams... After having all that delicious food you might have to call me lady-balloon!🎈
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+4
6 years ago (2018-01-13)
Fergie - You had me reeling with the witblits and I hadn't even had a shot yet, only smelled it. I see Puff in the hot tub swigging down shots of the stuff. Anybody else with a driver's license? Oh my word, I see a lady glowing in the distance, over and above her usual glow. Please don't let her drive 😁

Regards, Melda
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+2
6 years ago (2018-01-12)
Jubeele - you've had me craving pot stickers SO badly, I actually ordered some delivered for lunch from a new place. I actually haven't had any in about 10 years. Why? You ask, knowing my weakness for them. Because where I live, well the Chinese/Oriental food served up is a lot like going to Taco Bell and expecting real Mexican food. Just not happening. But the ones I got today weren't too bad. YAY!
Guys, don't sweat the karma points. Unless you're collecting enough that your comment gets hidden, just ignore it. If you ARE getting that many negative 'votes', maybe you need to rethink what you said.
Rex-T (5 stories) (288 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-01-12)
Fergie,

I suspect that your burning ears picked up on Big T-Rex thinking that he might go to your place and clean up any bad people.

However after last night, I've decided to keep T-Rex close to deal with any negative tooth fairies.

I'll still be cruising the site and you know how to contact Jubeele.

Big T-Rex is looking forward to some white lightening.

Rex and Jubeele
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-01-12)
My ears are burning, did someone call my name?

Oh wow! Another party? It's a long time since I have been on troll patrol on the Miss Demeanor.
Jubeele, Rex T, Melda, good to see you here. Is that Val and Lady Glow I see over there? I thought I saw Roy and Babygoatpuller a moment ago. Is Puff in the drivers seat or the hot tub? That guy moves like greased lightening.
Speaking of lightening, I brought some "wit-blits" (white lightening) this time - similar to 'moonshine'. Who wants to be a dare-devil?
Jubeele (25 stories) (882 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-01-12)
That was a great party, Melda. Everyone who joined in helped make it a success. The good feelings generated for everyone made it all worthwhile. We've got a lot of good, decent people in our YGS community.❤ We also have a Big T-Rex on our side. We'll send him over to SA soon! 😁
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-01-12)
Jubeele - I think I'll bring a surprise dish 😁 Koeksusters? Love them but they're not so easy to make. Perhaps Fergie can do them better than I do. Smoked snoek tart? Always a winner but it is so, so 1980s. These favourites need to be spiced up every now and then. Um... Maybe I can do that. Perhaps better than what it was at New Year?

T-Rex will have to come here to pick up a criminal to chow on. Since he's been gone, they have gained more momentum.

Regards, Melda
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-01-12)
Rex-T - Thanks for your response. I know why I got minus points but so be it. If my opinion is trampled on, that's fine with me. I won't be so eager to offer it the next time round.

I think there are people who "patrol" the comments and decide to vote certain people down. I honestly don't know why.

Regards, Melda
Jubeele (25 stories) (882 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-01-12)
Well Melda, let's get on the bus, have a drink and chat with the others. Rex-T has released Big T-Rex who's now out on patrol. I might ask lady-glow for some of her churros. I love to dip them in chocolate sauce. Did you bring any koeksusters and smoked snoek tart?
Rex-T (5 stories) (288 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-01-12)
Thanks Melda for your support,

The timing and therefore the intent is fairly obvious. This is not about just not agreeing with a comment or comments.

As I've commented before, hand out a negative or positive karma point and let's discuss why. After all, most of us are adults and should be able to hold a robust discussion, while observing respect for others.

Let's do our best to keep this site great.

Rex-T

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: