You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Flashing Lights

Real Ghost Stories

Flashing Lights

 

Hey everyone. Been a while. I've been busy because I'm out-processing out of the Air Force so I've barely had time for anything. Last night a friend of my invited me over to watch movies and I brought The Conjuring to watch since she had never seen it. Mostly I just wanted to be entertained by her reaction, but we still had fun. It scared her half to death though and, though I laugh about it, I keep telling myself that some people aren't like me and haven't been through similar things during their lifetime, so I try to be compassionate toward them about it.

Anyway, after the movie ended, she went to turn on her small chandelier light and four out of five bulbs blew out. I didn't think much of it, but she was freaked out, because you have to admit that four out of five bulbs blowing out all at once is kind of strange. But the occurrence I am about to explain did not happen that night. It was early this morning when we both woke up and started getting ready for work.

My friend came to me freaked out saying, "The touch lamp in my room keeps turning on and off on its own!" I followed her to her room and saw for myself that the touch lamp was turning on and off randomly. I asked if it was on a timer and she said that she's had the lamp for a long time and it's never done this before. I tried finding a reason for it to be turning on and off like that, but there was no explanation. I thought maybe it was malfunctioning but it was just random. It wasn't at a smooth, timely motion. I turned it off myself and the second I did, it turned right back on, then right back off and I turned it on again and it turned right back off, then right back on. It wouldn't stop so my friend pulled the plug. It only stopped then. I laughed sarcastically and said, "It would be even more creepy if it kept doing it after pulling the plug." And she begged me to keep my mouth shut so it wouldn't get any ideas.

That's all I can talk about for now. I have had many more experiences in the last months that I've been gone, but this one is fresh in my mind because it was just this morning, only an hour ago. If you can think of an explanation as to what was happening, please tell me. My friend is freaked out so bad and I'd like to calm her down.

Other hauntings by CharlaC

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Nebraska

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, CharlaC, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

AzraelX (8 stories) (115 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-03-19)
Being a Electrical professional, I have seen these numerous times.

Shouldn't attribute paranormal to a malfunctioning electrical device.

If you had said that the touch lamp is glowing when there is no power supply, I naturally would have said "Hey! That's Paranormal"!
Griff84 (5 stories) (289 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-17)
Hi CharlaC, I am in agreement with most of the others. I once had a touch lamp next to the bed, and it did exactly as you described. I gave it to my brother, and it did the same, so it got binned. I'm certain it was just faulty, as is your friends one. I would also put the blowing bulbs down to the sudden power surge when the lights were dimmed up / switched on, maybe they were old bulbs that were fitted together, so likely to blow together.
Triskaideka (2 stories) (388 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2014-03-16)
Sounds like she has some bad electricity issues with her residence. I once dated someone whose electricity was so unstable, it actually blew my camera battery, my laptop's AC adapter, and my hair dryer all within a week. The lights in the kitchen would flicker and go out almost all the time. Eventually, we refused to plug anything in without using a surge protector. It was especially aggravating because not only was the place susceptible to surges, but brownouts as well.

Indeed, it can be freaky when multiple electronics or bulbs go out or lights flicker, but I've grown used to it living in this area of Washington state. Wind, rain, and crummy electricity service. If this was on base then well, I'm not at all surprised. 😉

Also, I've witnessed that whole thing happen with touchlights. My parents have a bunch at their house. Seems to become more of an issue when moisture gets trapped inside the metal touch mechanism.

I don't suspect a haunting at all. The dogs barking was probably mere coincidence. Someone may have turned on a sonic bug repellent or it had been turned on by a power surge. (Those things give off a very high pitch and are obnoxious as all get out.)
CharlaC (6 stories) (22 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-16)
Instant_crush. There really isn't much history to the house. Its in base housing. (She and I are both in the military). The land however... I'm not so sure about that and I'll see what I can do about finding the history. And to everyone else: nothing has happened in the house since the dogs were growling at nothing. She did check the entire house because she was afraid someone had broken in and that's why the dogs went crazy but there was no sign of a break in and all the windows and doors were locked so it's difficult to explain what happened. Anyway I'm very open-minded. If it can be de-bunked I will de-bunk it. But if I can't explain it then well... I can't explain it.
Ruby_Rose90 (1 stories) (12 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2014-03-16)
touch lamps are touchy! The slightest power surge makes them go nuts, used to happen to mine a lot during storms.
So might be worth getting the electric wiring checked in the house as its can easily cause some bulbs to blow and turn a touch lamp on and off.
Shady4u (2 stories) (188 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-03-15)
Hello. I'm not sure to point this as a haunting as of yet. With the lamp doing so, I think its pretty much normal, considering how old it has been, like you mentioned. Also, electric issues are always possible. I read your previous comment and the dogs' behaviour struck me, but again, it can't be declared to be paranormal as of yet. For now, we can only wait to see what the future holds. Do let us know if anything new happens. Thank you.
-Shady.
instant_crush (1 stories) (30 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-15)
okay, now that's what I call scary...! I think you guy should get it investigated y'know? That might clarify some stuff. And do try to find out the history of the house...! A pretty obvious statement, but histories often hold vital clues!
CharlaC (6 stories) (22 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-15)
Yeah I figured that too. But my friend is still freaked out about it. After getting home from work she tried plugging it in again but is was still turning on and off on its own so she keeps it in a box in the closet now haha! And only a few nights after that her dogs spent a whole hour growling and barking at nothing in the hallway and trying to keep her from going to her bedroom... That's what gets me.
instant_crush (1 stories) (30 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-15)
i may be wrong but am guessing there must have been some problem with the electrical connection. But then again, what are the odds...! Cool story though. Thumbs up! (Y)

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: