You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Strange Experience My Mum Had

Real Ghost Stories

Strange Experience My Mum Had

 

This is my second time writing on this site, but this isn't something that happened to me. After the feedback I got from my first story, and all the help I received, I think I should post this and see what the reactions are, to help my Mum work out what happened that night. I think this will be a pretty long story, but please read it and comment if you can.

My Mum is an Occupational Therapist, and she often does bits of work in hospitals and places like them. When she had this experience, she was working in a kind of hospital, kind of mental home, kind of prison. It was a place where people who had committed 'crimes' would end up, but it was like 60 years old, and 'crimes' at that time could be things like having a baby without being married. She worked with people who had lived there most of their lives because they were put in there when they were young, and had stayed there ever since. A lot of them were elderly men and women.

There were lots of stories about the building, like people who had only just arrived would feel taps on their shoulders in one particular corridor, without even knowing that this feeling was normal now. One woman said that when she was walking down to a certain room where someone had died, all the doors opened and closed in front and behind her. My Mum isn't a firm believer in ghosts, but she isn't a non-believer, and this experience has definitely made her feel more prone to belief.

Sometimes, my Mum had to work night shifts, if there was less staff than they had hoped for. When she did, she would always sit in this one room, with her mate Cherry. It was a long room, with an old table standing down the whole length of it. There were chairs all along both sides, but her and Cherry would often sit in the middle of the table, sitting opposite each other, my Mum with her back to the door. Behind where my Mum usually sat, there was a chair called the Restraint Chair, where, years ago, misbehaving patients would be put to help them calm down. It was still used, though only rarely, when certain people would get out of hand. The chair was pretty close to the door, and was directly behind my Mum's chair.

Okay, so on this night, Mum and Cherry were sitting in the positions I just described, and obviously, you weren't supposed to sleep on the job, but sometimes they would doze. They'd been chatting for a while, when finally, Cherry went to sleep. After a little while, so did my Mum.

Some time later, my Mum woke up quite suddenly, and realised that someone had opened the door to the room. She assumed it was Lee, or Tim, or one of the other members of staff that did the night shift. After a pause, she felt the person walk along the room and sit down in the Restraint Chair. Now, obviously, I wasn't there, but my Mum describes sitting like that as the most painful thing she's ever been through, because no matter how hard she tried, she couldn't look round to see who was in the chair. "It's not that I didn't want to!" She said when I asked her why she didn't just do it, "I was desperate to turn around, but something was stopping me."

She sat there for a while, frozen, until she finally drifted back off to sleep. She woke up a while later, and instantly knew the presence was gone. Cherry was already awake, and they spent the rest of the night talking.

My Mum didn't mention the experience to anyone, but a couple of days later, she, Cherry, and another guy Tim were discussing the ghosts at the hospital, and Cherry said that her and Tim were sure that someone came and sat in the Restraint Chair during the night. My Mum was shocked and instantly replied, "Me too!" Cherry then told my Mum that she had once tried to look round, tried so hard to move her neck that she had actually fallen off the chair, but she still hadn't managed to sneak a peek.

But, yeah, that's my Mum's strange story. Thank you for reading, and I know its been very long, but I wanted to get all the info in.

Other hauntings by bob_the_awesome

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, bob_the_awesome, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

phenonw (1 stories) (32 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-12)
Really,? What did she expect with a place like that?
Just think How many there are there you can't see, hear or feel!
😨
sheetal (6 stories) (771 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-09)
After reading your story I just remembered the Mirrors movie in which patient get died on sitting that particular chair. 😭 very Horrible 😨

Very nice story...
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-07)
Bless her heart, and at a mental hospital too. You'd be afraid to mention it to anyone, woudn't you. Good story.
Lilady4 (7 stories) (427 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-07)
Interesting story here, bob. It seems real as more than 1 person has experienced the same thing.
Love & Light, Rachel ❤
Coriedalium98 (1 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-07)
It's not High Royds asylum by any chance? I know that place is haunted for sure!:)

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: